Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross is saying season over for Tabs is a real possibility

Good to see Hill back with the boys. This Taberner injury has given Cox and McCarthy a lifeline, if neither of them can perform it's goodbye to both of them in my opinion.
Do mean Cox the guy that forced Tabs out of RTB, preferred side. I think Cox needs a break he had a pretty significant Hammy

Do mean Cox the guy that forced Tabs out of RTB, preferred side. I think Cox needs a break he had a pretty significant Hammy
Big break. He hasn’t had a solid recovery. Weird timeline. Two weeks at Peel, I think it was, then in against GWS. Then two weeks at Peel as a CHB, then back against Richmond. Hardly convenient injury management. Forced to play different roles for Peel then comes in and play the opposite for Fremantle. Where do we want to play him? First it was CHB at Peel because of Tabs/Hogan’s form but now it’s FF because of McCarthy’s poor form.
How is he gone if he doesn’t do expectations. He’s 20. Already played 30 games. Ain’t trading a 20 year KPF. Not a chance. I’d give him until he’s 23-25, by then would’ve played 75-100 games.

McCarthy is on his last legs tbh. He has been criticized for his lack of hard work, presence up forward. Well there’s no hiding now, he either accepts the challenge and improves or goes into his shell and barely makes an impact. Being given too many credits and lifelines.

McCarthy have had the benefit of playing third tall/medium forward with Hogan and Tabs. Not only that, he regressed back to his poor form and manages minimal impact. So unless he makes a consistent 2-3 goal effort, no cannot have confidence in him. Knows he has to turn up, and even at Peel level he’s off the pace. His credits are shrinking, fast.

North tbh should get a chance this week. Cerra should be rested but two more games then bye, so probably going to be pushed through the next fortnight. Tom North is something interesting. Reckon he could slot in no worries.
I don't mind your opinion on here.

I don't think McCarthys credits are sinking fast. 10 goals from 6 games isn't too bad. I can see why you are worried. After that 5 goal game vs North in Round 1, he has followed by 2 goals, then 1, then 2 goals, then 2 goalless games.

Had he kicked 3 vs North then kicked 2 last week, you at least could say he had consistency with his 10 goals from 6 games.

I have Said this before and will say this again. I don't care if Rory Lobb gets double teamed or triple teamed in the goal square. If that frees up cam to kick 3-5 goals then that's fine.

I mean Freos last win was vs the dogs. Freo kicked 13.10.88. Matera kicked 5. I don't expect freo to kick 16-18 goals each week. I do expect freo to win kicking 13-14 goals. We have the forward talent to get a decent spread of goals.

As I said Tom North should of got a game last season. If Cerra or Brayshaw are either sore or tired, rest one of them. I don't mind North rotating from the bench into the midfield and forward flank.

I personally haven't seen him play, As I live in Adelaide. So I assumed some dockers that go to peel games, seen him play a few games of him getting 20 disposals a game.

"Matthew had an MRI on Tuesday which indicated at that stage that he had a stress reaction in his left foot, ruling him out for eight weeks," general manager of football operations Peter Bell said.

>>The 2019 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be broadcast LIVE on AFL.com.au, the AFL Live Official App and Fox Footy from 6:30pm AEST on Monday, May 27

"However, a follow-up CT scan subsequently confirmed that he had suffered a stress fracture in the foot.

"As a result, Matthew will miss the rest of the season, and be moved from the club's primary list to the inactive list.

"It's disappointing for Matthew and the club, but we know from how he has coped with a long-term injury previously that he will work diligently and professionally on his rehabilitation and be ready for day one of the 2020 pre-season."

I don't mind your opinion on here.

I don't think McCarthys credits are sinking fast. 10 goals from 6 games isn't too bad. I can see why you are worried. After that 5 goal game vs North in Round 1, he has followed by 2 goals, then 1, then 2 goals, then 2 goalless games.

Had he kicked 3 vs North then kicked 2 last week, you at least could say he had consistency with his 10 goals from 6 games.

I have Said this before and will say this again. I don't care if Rory Lobb gets double teamed or triple teamed in the goal square. If that frees up cam to kick 3-5 goals then that's fine.

I mean Freos last win was vs the dogs. Freo kicked 13.10.88. Matera kicked 5. I don't expect freo to kick 16-18 goals each week. I do expect freo to win kicking 13-14 goals. We have the forward talent to get a decent spread of goals.

As I said Tom North should of got a game last season. If Cerra or Brayshaw are either sore or tired, rest one of them. I don't mind North rotating from the bench into the midfield and forward flank.

I personally haven't seen him play, As I live in Adelaide. So I assumed some dockers that go to peel games, seen him play a few games of him getting 20 disposals a game.
That’s exactly it. Consistency. The fact he’s not kicking a goal a game due to Hogan and Tabs suggest he isn’t working hard enough or not taking advantage.
We’ve always wanted 2 or 3 more goals a goal during Ross’ time. 10-12 goals isn’t enough. So now that we have a better spread of Forwards, should be pushing that 13-15 goal mark as the aim. Somethings up with the game plan that we’ve only kicked 24 goals in 3 weeks. Sure we get it inside 50, but the way we do it isn’t effective

"Matthew had an MRI on Tuesday which indicated at that stage that he had a stress reaction in his left foot, ruling him out for eight weeks," general manager of football operations Peter Bell said.

>>The 2019 NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft will be broadcast LIVE on AFL.com.au, the AFL Live Official App and Fox Footy from 6:30pm AEST on Monday, May 27

"However, a follow-up CT scan subsequently confirmed that he had suffered a stress fracture in the foot.

"As a result, Matthew will miss the rest of the season, and be moved from the club's primary list to the inactive list.

"It's disappointing for Matthew and the club, but we know from how he has coped with a long-term injury previously that he will work diligently and professionally on his rehabilitation and be ready for day one of the 2020 pre-season."
Confused. Said at the start that he’s out for 10 weeks, then says he’s out for the season.

My bad. MRI said stress reaction then CT said stress fracture. Didn’t he have this last season. 10 weeks anyway?

Tabs out for the year FML. Poor guy just can't catch a break.

2 consecutive years of playing his best career season then suffering a season ending injury.

This combined with the years we refused to pick him means that he's only managed 71 games in 7 seasons. I wonder if anyone in AFL history will have taken longer to reach 100 games?

That’s exactly it. Consistency. The fact he’s not kicking a goal a game due to Hogan and Tabs suggest he isn’t working hard enough or not taking advantage.
We’ve always wanted 2 or 3 more goals a goal during Ross’ time. 10-12 goals isn’t enough. So now that we have a better spread of Forwards, should be pushing that 13-15 goal mark as the aim. Somethings up with the game plan that we’ve only kicked 24 goals in 3 weeks. Sure we get it inside 50, but the way we do it isn’t effective
And this is the thing about freos season in the last 2-3 years. And I know people are going to be angry and frustrated in what I will say next. I think we are heading for another 8 win season.

If you look how freo went in 2017 and 2018, you can see where this is heading. 1st 10 games we play competitive footy despite some minor injuries in the 1st month.

After the half way point or the bye, more injuries to senior players happen and he play the kids in which playing youth is good, some youth run out of energy after half time or 3 quarter time.

We also get some nasty thrashings late in the season in which I fear will happen again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Confused. Said at the start that he’s out for 10 weeks, then says he’s out for the season.

My bad. MRI said stress reaction then CT said stress fracture. Didn’t he have this last season. 10 weeks anyway?
Very convenient really. RTB shot down Sandy being put on the LTI list at his press conference and now what should be 10 weeks has turned into the season!

Are clubs panicking with FOMO setting in?

And this is the thing about freos season in the last 2-3 years. And I know people are going to be angry and frustrated in what I will say next. I think we are heading for another 8 win season.

If you look how freo went in 2017 and 2018, you can see where this is heading. 1st 10 games we play competitive footy despite some minor injuries in the 1st month.

After the half way point or the bye, more injuries to senior players happen and he play the kids in which playing youth is good, some youth run out of energy after half time or 3 quarter time.

We also get some nasty thrashings late in the season in which I fear will happen again.
Two things I think might ameliorate that this season Freomaniac. Firstly, when Tabs went down last year our options for key forwards were Cox and McCarthy. This year we have Hogan, Cox, McCarthy and if we bring in another ruckman Lobb can play forward as well - that's pretty reasonable coverage.

The second thing is the late season thrashings have, as you say, been brought about because we were playing lots of inexperienced kids. This has a two fold negative impact - the kids get tired, and because they can't run play full game minutes it put more presure on the more mature guys, whi then suffer injuries and general wear and tear. This year we have brought in some extra mature bodies in Hogan, Lobb, Conca and Colyer so we are not having to playe so many kids. The kids we are playing have had an extra pre-season, so are better conditioned to run out games and the season. Then we are getting guys back late in the season like Connor Blakely, Stephen Hill, Griffin Logue and Ballas (I'm not even going to mention Sandi or HB) and they can come in to give the younger guys a spell. All this says to me we should not fall off a cliff later in the season the way we have in the last two years.

Apart from the failure to find even a modicum of system in the forward line, my main concerns are Adam Cerra who seems to be suffering second year blues big time, and Colyer who was brought in to provide a mature body but had been an abject failure to this point.

I'd be resting Cerra for a couple of weeks and hopefully freshening him up - leave Colyer at Peel until he either finds form or stamps his ticket as definite depth only.

Two things I think might ameliorate that this season Freomaniac. Firstly, when Tabs went down last year our options for key forwards were Cox and McCarthy. This year we have Hogan, Cox, McCarthy and if we bring in another ruckman Lobb can play forward as well - that's pretty reasonable coverage.

The second thing is the late season thrashings have, as you say, been brought about because we were playing lots of inexperienced kids. This has a two fold negative impact - the kids get tired, and because they can't run play full game minutes it put more presure on the more mature guys, whi then suffer injuries and general wear and tear. This year we have brought in some extra mature bodies in Hogan, Lobb, Conca and Colyer so we are not having to playe so many kids. The kids we are playing have had an extra pre-season, so are better conditioned to run out games and the season. Then we are getting guys back late in the season like Connor Blakely, Stephen Hill, Griffin Logue and Ballas (I'm not even going to mention Sandi or HB) and they can come in to give the younger guys a spell. All this says to me we should not fall off a cliff later in the season the way we have in the last two years.

Apart from the failure to find even a modicum of system in the forward line, my main concerns are Adam Cerra who seems to be suffering second year blues big time, and Colyer who was brought in to provide a mature body but had been an abject failure to this point.

I'd be resting Cerra for a couple of weeks and hopefully freshening him up - leave Colyer at Peel until he either finds form or stamps his ticket as definite depth only.
You would hope Darcy, cox and Logue as 3rd year players would step up now. Darcy is injured, Logue just came back because of injury. Cox is serviceable. Ryan has Been brilliant. Duman and Nyhuis has been in and out of the team as well.

I personally don't think Coyler is a failure. Kicked 5 goals and 5 Behinds this season. He is a better pick up than Colin Sylvia. Still, its not like we traded a lot to get coyler or Conca.

Looking at the last 3 years....
2016: 73 points a game for, 96 Against
2017: 72 points a game for, 98 against
2018: 70 points a game for, 92 Against.

The big difference between freos 1st 10 games in 2016 and 1st 10 games in 2017 as Night and Day.

in 2016, Freo were 0-10. we kept losing by 20-30 points each week which was frustrating. We were averaging 10 goals a game. But again it hurt losing games each week by 3-6 goals. We should of got 6-8 wins in 2016. Still meant 15-16th spot.

In 2017, freo were 6-4. We lost heavily away one week and win by 15-30 points at home the next. Freo were averaging 10 goals a game that year. Loved the amount of close games freo had this year. I didn't care what anyone thought. I can sit through the 2017 season again after the garbage we put up with compared to 2016. We beat North twice narrowly. Had North beat us in 2017, Freo and North would of traded spots. North would of got 14th, freo 15th. Could of got as much as 10-12 wins or as few as 5 or 6.

In 2018, Freo were 4-6. Like 2017, got belted away one week and won by 15-30 points at home the next. Yeah we had 9 losses by 50 points or less. 4 of them came into the 1st 14 rounds, the last 5 came in the last 7 rounds. 8 wins was fair.

In 2019, Freo are either going to be 4-6 or 5-5 depending on the Brisbane game. It way better than being 0-10.

If Freo are 5-5 by round 10, I still have this hope freo can get a finals spot.

Sounds like Tabs previous injury wasn't managed well. Having suffered from stress fractures myself due to not listening to physio and pushing too hard on the foot, it is a problem that can arise easily. Wonder what our medical department is up to sometimes.

Sounds like Tabs previous injury wasn't managed well. Having suffered from stress fractures myself due to not listening to physio and pushing too hard on the foot, it is a problem that can arise easily. Wonder what our medical department is up to sometimes.
Is it on the same foot? That would be damaging if true. Didn’t really monitor it. However they did mention he changed his running stylev

Dixon and Valente not playing WAFL. Injured? Why the **** don’t can’t we be honest with our injury list! The supporters are just treated like ****.

Primarily because at this stage they aren't 100% of what the issue is with Luke.

He went and got scans yesterday. So when the injury list came out on Tuesday there was no information to give and also when guys are getting managed they aren't technically injured which up until Tuesday was the case.

Its not treating supporters like shit in any way. If theres no clear info to give they can't go and give an update can they....

Primarily because at this stage they aren't 100% of what the issue is with Luke.

He went and got scans yesterday. So when the injury list came out on Tuesday there was no information to give and also when guys are getting managed they aren't technically injured which up until Tuesday was the case.

Its not treating supporters like **** in any way. If theres no clear info to give they can't go and give an update can they....
Do you know what Valente's injury issue is?

Its not treating supporters like **** in any way. If theres no clear info to give they can't go and give an update can they....
I think many are just frustrated with injuries that seem to be managed into longer term problems.
Hearing that Harley is to play midfield for Peel doesn't fill me with any confidence long term.

Thanks for this. It really is embarrassing reading the little snipes of some supporters sometimes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back