Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't remember any others, has been knocked about a bit but this was just a head clash - would have concussed a buffalo!

Was there definitely a previous one?

I think it was the second Peel pre-season game (missed 1-week from memory). It was ole Webber that confirmed it was his second decent concussion in the HBF injury report this week.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would personally put Sturt in the gym for a month or two before bringing him back and make him wear a helmet for the rest of his career. Was always going to be a long termer so risking concussion issues at this stage is asking for trouble. Given the guy he had contact with on the weekend ended up in hospital, its not like he's getting concussion from small impacts yet so I hope we are conservative and rule him out for a while
Helmets increase the risk of concussion

Really?

Not having a go here but is this common knowledge given Angus Brayshaw and Caleb Daniel are wearing them?
Yes, concussions have nothing to do with what a soft helmet can protect, the helmet gives you a false sense of security when you are no less likely to get concussed than the other bloke in reality

Their helmets are at least beneficial, far greater impulse and reduction of force to reduce brain movement
The issue with helmets in gridiron is that for a few decades they were used as weapons. There was a massive increase in concussions after the regular use of helmets in NFL. They are trying to take this out of the game now by significant penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

Having said that, I do agree with your follow up post about a false sense of security.

The issue with helmets in gridiron is that for a few decades they were used as weapons. There was a massive increase in concussions after the regular use of helmets in NFL. They are trying to take this out of the game now by significant penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

Having said that, I do agree with your follow up post about a false sense of security.
The newer NFL helmets are softer much like a car and are built to provide deceleration of the head as opposed to a protection from physical damage, the issue comes from being stopped suddenly at speed

The newer NFL helmets are softer much like a car and are built to provide deceleration of the head as opposed to a protection from physical damage, the issue comes from being stopped suddenly at speed

So with concussion the trigger is the brain hitting the skull at speed? And something that reduces or slows down the movement of the brain within the skull (ie, by changing the overall movement of the head) reduces the risk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with concussion the trigger is the brain hitting the skull at speed? And something that reduces or slows down the movement of the brain within the skull (ie, by changing the overall movement of the head) reduces the risk?
Which comes from luck, technique and not from bravery with some padding that stops you cracking your head open

Having said that two identical impacts with and without a helmet. The exposed head receives more force and, all other factors being equal, an increased risk of concussion and CTE.

Wearing a helmet while playing AFL can be beneficial as long as you're still playing to protect your head.

Having said that two identical impacts with and without a helmet. The exposed head receives more force and, all other factors being equal, an increased risk of concussion and CTE.

Wearing a helmet while playing AFL can be beneficial as long as you're still playing to protect your head.

So it can provide a slight benefit unless you play for the eagles then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back