Injuries and how we are shaping for Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasons to be positive personal wise for sure Snoop. Although we have a few out, nothing seems overly long term even given our dodgy estimation of weeks missing.
As other have mentioned, Dwyer was a starter last year and not sure where Witts is at either.
I think Sidebottom is a certainty to fill that back sweeping role with Seeds likely to be a late starter and Toovey perhaps being eased in. Maybe does give an early opportunity to Armstrong Quicky?
Re Young, I just dont like him in defense too much, particularly deep. Could he and H share a half back/defensive wing role? I like one winger really being a holding mid/transitional mid these days.

I get what you are saying re Young but one of Sidebottom, OBrien or Young I think have to play back until Seedsman good to go. I just think you need a good kick. Is Goldsack the one?

If we lose rd1 and have to wait 2 weeks, things could get messy around here
Bucks will be in hiding in North Korea if they get two weeks to flame him.

I was a bit 50:50. He got done a couple of times badly in traffic and in the contest but he had his hand on a couple of good balls late in the game and he ran hard to get to the next contest three times in a row which I rated. His kicking was good, the issue with him is winning contested footy and I didn't see a huge improvement in it. Still was promising and only 1 game. I was probably more impressed with him offensively than Langdon and thought Langdon was better defensively. Personally be surprised if either make it. I think Williams, Toovey, Brown, Keefe, Maxwell and YOung will get the spots back with Sidebottom and OBrien pushing back on the wings. If one of the small to mediums went down you would think Sinclair comes in but they probably want an elite kick to be one of the back 6 and unfortunately I wouldn't say thats true of any of them bar Seedsman, Scharenburg who are injured and Armstrong who am not sure about.

What did you think?

I think that with the game plan that Buckley is trying to cultivate that there is a need for players who can execute high level skills by hand and foot in our ball movement out of defense. We seem very aggressive and high risk with this. I think you are right to say we would have been hoping for Seedsman and Scharenberg in this role. But they are both likely out for a significant period. There is a need for a player with crisp skills back there and Armstrong has a great opportunity. I thought he was actually really impressive in the Geelong hitout although you are correct to say his 1v1 work is not strength of his. The question is can we afford to carry this weakness? He would likely be taking the 6th most dangerous forward. I think we can risk that.

You mention Young as a likely option back there. I'm not so sure. What Armstrong was so good at against Geelong was high risk 20-30m kicks into the corridor. Young with the same option would get absolutely smashed as a poor short kick. His strength is firmly rooted in his run and carry, linking work and booming left boot. I think that is less valuable in defense where it is much harder to find space and really valuable off the wing.

Verdict for mine is Armstrong back, Young to midfield. It plays up both players qualities. That said it is imperative that Armstrong backs the Geelong performance up. At the end of the day we have seen one decent game. Consistency is the key from here.

Well judging from todays news about Marley Williams you can delete him off our list.Not injured but looks like jail sentence pending.Big hole now who plays his role ?
Very annoyed,he looked good and was making that back pocket position his own.

Who can play that possie well now ?

Annoyed

Well judging from todays news about Marley Williams you can delete him off our list.Not injured but looks like jail sentence pending.Big hole now who plays his role ?
Very annoyed,he looked good and was making that back pocket position his own.

Who can play that possie well now ?

Annoyed
I agree, big loss if he Willams is done !

Remove this Banner Ad

Injuries and how we are shaping for Rd 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back