News Injury List - 25th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back to the ignore list for you, :)

Now why would that be gilly?

Obviously you are a jordan russell lover too, now you tell me why?

Does he play good footy for us? does he have sublime skills? what is it that he adds to this team? before i get ignored too i want an honest answer.

Jordan Russell should NOT be wearing navy blue.

Tigers, mixed in amongst our stars and play makers, you need some defensive mids to sacrifice their own game and play roles for the side. JR has an AFL body and athleticism, good height, good agility and usually sticks to his task well (last week an obvious exception). So he has the size and athleticism to run with most players... can be given roles on big bodied mids or the medium sized lead up forwards.... perfect for shut-down roles on types like Ryan O'Keefe.

Having said that, I agree that his execution with the ball can be frustrating...you get the good JR one minute, then the bad JR the next, he is his own worst enemy, but I still subscribe to the school of thought that it is 95% above the head with Jordan and that he was set back quite a way with Pagan. Right now, perhaps with the exception of Joey I don't see who else could perform the roles he has been. I think Grigg and Walker (when they get on the park) while are prepared to work both ways are far better utilised focusing more on creating play than pure shut-down roles.

JR for mine was probably most impressive as a lead-up HF, but as we know his finishing let him down....again with some confidence I wouldn't rule him out of playig that role again some time down the track. So basically you have a bloke who is a prototype for an AFL athlete, is versatile and can be assigned a number of roles (which probably make him more appealing to the MC than to posters on here) but is let down badly by brain farts and poor execution under pressure. Maybe it's a confidence issue (might be correlated to his tendency to look inside for a lateral short kick, maybe that is his instructions), maybe his skills aren't up to it. I think the MC are in a better position to know that answer.

If it is a confidence issue, then I'm not sure if it is best served being worked on at the top level or with a sepll in the Ants.....I suspect the former.

I am not a JR "lover" as you guys put it....I can identify his shortcomings....but I don't think he deserves the whack he cops on here.....2004 was a weak draft and he looks the most AFL likely of any mids picked around his mark. Monfries and Bate are handy but have plateaued and what you see is what you get. Egan didn't cut it in the end. If he has confidence issues then I certianly hope he doesn't read BF as most posters approaches on here seem counter-productive and serve no other purpose than to make themselves feel better.

So you see, I identify the bad with the good....but for now until a better option presents itself I can understand why he is perservered with.

I also think there is a very subtle but important distinction between skills not being up to scratch and the execution of those skills not being up to scratch. We have all seen evidence of good skills.....it's the execution that for some reason is inconsistent.

Tigers, mixed in amongst our stars and play makers, you need some defensive mids to sacrifice their own game and play roles for the side. JR has an AFL body and athleticism, good height, good agility and usually sticks to his task well (last week an obvious exception). So he has the size and athleticism to run with most players... can be given roles on big bodied mids or the medium sized lead up forwards.... perfect for shut-down roles on types like Ryan O'Keefe.

Having said that, I agree that his execution with the ball can be frustrating...you get the good JR one minute, then the bad JR the next, he is his own worst enemy, but I still subscribe to the school of thought that it is 95% above the head with Jordan and that he was set back quite a way with Pagan. Right now, perhaps with the exception of Joey I don't see who else could perform the roles he has been. I think Grigg and Walker (when they get on the park) while are prepared to work both ways are far better utilised focusing more on creating play than pure shut-down roles.

JR for mine was probably most impressive as a lead-up HF, but as we know his finishing let him down....again with some confidence I wouldn't rule him out of playig that role again some time down the track. So basically you have a bloke who is a prototype for an AFL athlete, is versatile and can be assigned a number of roles (which probably make him more appealing to the MC than to posters on here) but is let down badly by brain farts and poor execution under pressure. Maybe it's a confidence issue (might be correlated to his tendency to look inside for a lateral short kick, maybe that is his instructions), maybe his skills aren't up to it. I think the MC are in a better position to know that answer.

If it is a confidence issue, then I'm not sure if it is best served being worked on at the top level or with a sepll in the Ants.....I suspect the former.

I am not a JR "lover" as you guys put it....I can identify his shortcomings....but I don't think he deserves the whack he cops on here.....2004 was a weak draft and he looks the most AFL likely of any mids picked around his mark. Monfries and Bate are handy but have plateaued and what you see is what you get. Egan didn't cut it in the end. If he has confidence issues then I certianly hope he doesn't read BF as most posters approaches on here seem counter-productive and serve no other purpose than to make themselves feel better.

So you see, I identify the bad with the good....but for now until a better option presents itself I can understand why he is perservered with.

I also think there is a very subtle but important distinction between skills not being up to scratch and the execution of those skills not being up to scratch. We have all seen evidence of good skills.....it's the execution that for some reason is inconsistent.

Highly tempted to cut and paste a link to this post for insertion into the weekly (new) JR thread.

Top post.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

If I could have a guess I'd say his effectiveness up to 30m was 90% or better, and those 10% are shockers.

Over 30m or maybe 35m he just doesnt have good kicking depth and it fades away.

Top post Gilly great work :thumbsu:

I totally see where you are coming from, perfect size, can be thrown to different positions. I for one would like to see him as a lead up half forward, has he played that role this year? i would like to see it more often, has a great mark and i saw that first hand against the pies, give him a go there.

He is a very frustrating player old Jordan, can be very good one minute and very poor the next. If he could only limit the poor stuff then i think everyone would be happy.

The thing i would not mind seeing though is Jordan being dropped the the Ants and getting his hands on the pill a heap of times, having a few best ons and getting the confidence right up there, then come back up to the side.

He has warranted being dropped a whole number of times in his career, and for once i just would like to see it happen, i know MC think it is good for his development, but really what is the harm in sending him down to the magoos. The message he is told at the moment is play however bad you like but dont worry you are in the team next week, i actually think this hinders his progress and i can not see the harm in sending the message of play bad this week and you will be playings 2s until you warrant senior selection like everyone else is the team.

Hadley's recent performances wouldn't rule out Bentick at all.
Bentick's lack of performance might though.

When was the last time AB played a game?

Has he played in any capacity this year? :confused:

He would need a few good games under his belt regardless of Hadley's form IMO, but yes, Hadley needs to lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bentick has been injured most of the season I believe, and was definitely injured before Hadley started playing terrible in about round 3-4.

We blundered in 2004 ... We should have taken Ivan Maric instead of Jordan Russell, and maybe then we shouldn't have been stuck with Shaun Hampson either, whom on the surface, appears to be another blunder by Wayne Hughes, considering he was taken with an 2nd rnd draft pick, and it was obvious we needed more talls/ruckmen.

You might well be right tigers....this is where I believe in a horses for courses working with individuals approach as opposed to rigid rules of thumb. Without knowing the psyche's involved and where blokes are at mentally, makes it difficult to form a solid opinion either way

We blundered in 2004 ... We should have taken Ivan Maric instead of Jordan Russell, and maybe then we shouldn't have been stuck with Shaun Hampson either, whom on the surface, appears to be another blunder by Wayne Hughes, considering he was taken with an 2nd rnd draft pick, and it was obvious we needed more talls/ruckmen.

Post of the week, well done :thumbsu:

You've just described Cameron Ling circa 2004-5 IMO.

The only question for JR is whether he can get that consistency in performance of the shutdown role, and improve his disposal/recognise his limitations.

Post of the week, well done :thumbsu:

sarcasm_meter.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

News Injury List - 25th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Back