Preview 2024 Round 24 Carlton vs St Kilda Sunday 25th August 3:20PM AEST @ Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
An Eagles mate of mine was saying the flag was there for the taking for us but we’ve shat the bed in every way known to man:
  • poor coaching selection and in game tactics
  • poor player performances in terms of skills, commitment and decision making
  • bad luck with injuries and horrendous S&C program contributing to repeat non collision injuries
  • lazy list management after last years run to the preliminary final

Meanwhile well run clubs like Sydney and Geelong finish top 4 and Hawthorn soars into the finals despite winning their last flag around the time we started our rebuild. These clubs are always looking to improve and don’t accept failure.

TBH we’ve become a bit of a joke. 8-9 years rebuilding with painful losses and little hope for most of it bar the last 12-18 months. In the off season everyone at the club needs to have a hard look at themselves and decide if they want to be truly successful or just be content with sporadic moments of happiness.

Like last week I have no expectation of winning today and fully expect us to lose and miss the finals so I’m not nervous at all. I actually think in the long run it might be better if we miss the finals so the club can feel some serious pain and it might actually drive them to get serious. Its slightly hard to believe they’d need another kick up the arse to jolt them after all the years losing.

This might all sound a bit melodramatic but the stretch of losses from Port to Hawthorn and the manner has killed any hope I have for the team this year as well as any trust the club have any idea what they are doing.
Tell your flipping mate that the season aint over and to worry about his shite club.

An Eagles mate of mine was saying the flag was there for the taking for us but we’ve shat the bed in every way known to man:
  • poor coaching selection and in game tactics
  • poor player performances in terms of skills, commitment and decision making
  • bad luck with injuries and horrendous S&C program contributing to repeat non collision injuries
  • lazy list management after last years run to the preliminary final

Meanwhile well run clubs like Sydney and Geelong finish top 4 and Hawthorn soars into the finals despite winning their last flag around the time we started our rebuild. These clubs are always looking to improve and don’t accept failure.

TBH we’ve become a bit of a joke. 8-9 years rebuilding with painful losses and little hope for most of it bar the last 12-18 months. In the off season everyone at the club needs to have a hard look at themselves and decide if they want to be truly successful or just be content with sporadic moments of happiness.

Like last week I have no expectation of winning today and fully expect us to lose and miss the finals so I’m not nervous at all. I actually think in the long run it might be better if we miss the finals so the club can feel some serious pain and it might actually drive them to get serious. Its slightly hard to believe they’d need another kick up the arse to jolt them after all the years losing.

This might all sound a bit melodramatic but the stretch of losses from Port to Hawthorn and the manner has killed any hope I have for the team this year as well as any trust the club have any idea what they are doing.
If the Collingwood 22 loss didn't drive them, what makes you think this one will?

If the Collingwood 22 loss didn't drive them, what makes you think this one will?

I think we learnt a bit from that collimgwood loss but we have so many injuries at the moment

I agree that game should’ve been the line in the sand moment for everyone at the club. The only thing I’d say that has changed is that last year actually playing finals they got a taste of the intense focus and emotions that finals brings. Being made to sit and watch it without participating could be enough to light a fire under them to leave no stone unturned.

It might be wishful thinking and I sympathise with anyone who thinks the players and the club aren’t prepared and capable of doing what it takes to have success. The woeful performance by the whole club before, during and after the Hawthorn game (from coaches, players and administrators) will make me doubt the club for a very long time.

Fingers crossed for big Mitch McGovern. I hope he plays and all the rumours are incorrect.

I reckon that is reason enough for not playing Gov at all. If he breaks down mid match it’ll be a much bigger disaster.

I was actually relieved when I heard Charlie is not playing. Maybe a sign the club is actually getting serious.

A smaller team with lots of runners is more appropriate for the opposition and the conditions (playing at Marvel).
Be very surprised if Gov plays.
If there was a downside to last weeks win it was the Eagles looked putrid. Showing that again this week.

Can’t be halfassing anything against St Kilda.
Aints have nothing to play for. Will put in for 3 quarters perhaps, then dreaming of dwarfs and school girls.
Fingers crossed for big Mitch McGovern. I hope he plays and all the rumours are incorrect.
No real point in playing him with his hammy feeling tight last week. We are not going to do anything this year now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be an interesting game. We’re no.1 in the comp for the season for scoring from the back half, while Carlton have struggled to defend the ground all year (even when they were top 2 they were ranked 14th or something like that defensively), and now we’re scoring freely almost every week (99 points or more in 4 of our last 5 games).

The tactics from both teams will be fascinating.
If you guy's are fair dinkum today, you should win imo.

I think we learnt a bit from that collimgwood loss but we have so many injuries at the moment
The current injury list makes today’s game almost impossible to win but the damage to our season was done before the injuries piled up, and a lot of it was self inflicted.
  • sticking with Martin, Cunners and Marchy at the end of last year
  • the atrocious fitness management of our players culminating multiple players suffering a recurrence of an existing injury and playing multiple injured players in the Hawks game only for all them to break down
  • rushing Cerra and Cottrell back from long injury layoffs instead of via the 2s to build form and confidence
  • intense training loads pre the round 2 bye, - not taking a second player in the MSD,
  • playing a sore TDK to breaking point when Pitto could’ve given him a couple weeks recovery
  • the great competitor Voss who hates losing but never once publicly calls out players for poor performance
  • playing Kemp out of position for 2 years because of poor list management
  • dropping Hewett and MK sub vs Bulldogs good midfield
  • using Kennedy as a stop gap key forward and back because of injuries or inadequate alternatives

Tell your flipping mate that the season aint over and to worry about his shite club.
He actually likes the blues and has been wanting us to do well for the past few years mainly coz he knows how much it means to me and also with West Coast being so bad he doesn’t really have a horse in the race

Sounds like you’re just complaining for the sake of complaing
  • rushing Cerra and Cottrell back from long injury layoffs instead of via the 2s to build form and confidence
Cerra is a walk up start if fit. Cotters maybe, but his injury wasn’t related to an early return
  • playing a sore TDK to breaking point when Pitto could’ve given him a couple weeks recovery
TDK got a punctured lung from being whacked by Xerri, not because he wasn’t rested for Pitto
  • the great competitor Voss who hates losing but never once publicly calls out players for poor performance
Don’t know what that has to do with anything…
  • playing Kemp out of position for 2 years because of poor list management
Played key defender his entire junior career, except for a few games in his under 18 year. That’s not “playing him out of position”
  • dropping Hewett and MK sub vs Bulldogs good midfield
If you’re blaming our downfall on two players not being selected, we have bigger issues than that.
  • using Kennedy as a stop gap key forward and back because of injuries or inadequate alternatives
He got coaches votes playing as a defender against the giants early in the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back