Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Calf tear from running Saturday - wasn't even sprinting!
RICE and rest meant I can actually cycle pain free at least, annoying as I was limping all weekend. Compression sock over the calf seems to have helped quite a bit.

Cpt are there any safe leg exercises I can do with a torn calf? I'm guessing no for the stability factors (my gym doesn't have quad or hamstring isolation machines, just squat rack & leg press) but just asking anyway.

Think I first initially strained it after doing deadlifts.. but the thing is, wasnt just a one off incident where I can pinpoint a moment when I may have pinged it. Just a standard heavy back day and of course was sore the next couple of days which I just put down to DOMS.

Problem is it never fully recovered but also wasnt too debilitating so for a few weeks I kinda ignored it and continued lifting and footy training as normal just using a foam roller and plenty of deep heat which helps temporarily ease the pain a bit when it gets real sore.

Last week though its getting too sore to ignore so went to physio who confirmed Ive got a strain.

Being an old fart deadlifter I get it occassionally - the normal disk degeneration is rendered symptomatic - I just do physio and she gives me some stretches to do and it usually goes away again after a week or so. I have got it at the moment and I was smashing the deadlifts before that - I have to be meticulous about form - I got distracted and I did it again. Its a little bit better already and I did it on Saturday

Calf tear from running Saturday - wasn't even sprinting!
RICE and rest meant I can actually cycle pain free at least, annoying as I was limping all weekend. Compression sock over the calf seems to have helped quite a bit.

Cpt are there any safe leg exercises I can do with a torn calf? I'm guessing no for the stability factors (my gym doesn't have quad or hamstring isolation machines, just squat rack & leg press) but just asking anyway.

deadlifts should be fine as well as some single leg exercises and squats where you can keep the front shin vertical but the back leg might be problematic but see how you go...a great time to hit some hip thrusts repeatedly if you can't do any of the above...in fact do that anyway

First night of training or an ongoing issue?

I had it bad a couple of years ago and managed to get rid of it through physio and getting insoles, which I have been wearing regularly. This time it has come very suddenly. I woke up this morning and could hardly walk when I got out of bed. It wasn't my first night of training. I have been doing Crossfit for about six months.

I had it bad a couple of years ago and managed to get rid of it through physio and getting insoles, which I have been wearing regularly. This time it has come very suddenly. I woke up this morning and could hardly walk when I got out of bed. It wasn't my first night of training. I have been doing Crossfit for about six months.

low dye taping will help

I've been getting a real tight right trap muscle, pretty deep. When I press in there it radiates through my neck up to the back of my head. Also been getting a tingling behind my right scapula. When I push in there it radiates up to my shoulder, right deep in the trap and up to my skull sometimes.

It's not too bad, just annoying and a bit restrictive, can get painful at times. Been massaging with a tennis ball tonight, seems to help a little. Tennis ball has helped the tightness in the trap by massaging just inside the scapula, but the tingling is still there.

Any thoughts? Tomorrow is pull day too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tendonitis question - has anyone out there used a slant board to deload BW squats from the glutes/hammies as a rehab exercise?

Have already backed off from heavier squats to lighter/higher rep stuff but in the last few weeks just going for one run per week has led to significant soreness. Quite a lot of sites online rave about slant boards as a rehab tool to strengthen the quads at exactly the right spot to assist with alleviating knee tendon issues.

Has this been a short or long term issue?
Longer term - a few years.
Sometimes quietens down, recently has flared up. Modified leg days a little to be higher rep and less weight, stopped running on weekends (still run to work one day per week).
Ride to and from work but taking it a little easier pace-wise as well.

I've had an adductor strain for 3 months, still isn't going away. I know bugger all about adductor rehab. Full range, just niggly to painful.

Specifically the adjutated muscle is gracillis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury/Rehab Injury/Niggle Management - w/ cptkirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back