Ins and Outs vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: ins and outs vs carlton

Can't drop anyone after today really. Davis and Macaffer were below average, but consistent bad form should be what we drop players for.

If Presti if fit, he can replace Brown. If not, go unchanged.

This-a-one.

Macaffer had a dirty day today in terms of getting the ball, but thought he got a few unkind bounces, or else would have had about 15-16 touches again. And his kicking/tackling/one-on-one work is far superior to anyone we could bring in to replace him.

Unchanged. No harm in giving Presti a rest if he needs it. We all knew he wouldn't be able to play the entire season so I'm all for giving him a few weeks off whenever he needs it. More important to have Presti cherry ripe for finals than have him busting a gut in H&A games.

forward pockets were starved because we did't use the ball that well going forward, it's an area that needs a good look it. Think we're kicking the ball too loosely to about 15m out which will get gobbled up by good zoning teams

So you'd prefer we kick the ball into the forward pockets and end up scoring 4-17?

This method of holding onto the ball to spot up forwards is a recipe for not only low scores but innaccurate scores. Sure if you can hit up a player with a quick entry go for it. Good sides,however, won't let us do that. They will choke all the worthwhile spots in the forward 50 and force us to go into the pockets with near impossible shots.

Bringing the ball in quickly is the key to putting a defence under pressure, particularly zoned defences, and the long kick to the square, given we have a tall to compete in the air and a small for the crumbs is as good as any method.

It has proved very efficient in the last 2 weeks.

Id be very suprised if you guys make many changes. Not that we needed any help in looking terrible, but you guys did a real good job of it!

Best of luck for the seaosn and I hope you absolutely belt the blues next week!

Ins: Presti
Out: Brown

If Presti isn't fit, don't change the side.

If Harry gets rubbed out, Goldsack comes in IMO, and Brown still goes out if Presti plays.

Only other player to be considered is MaCaffer, but for mine he did enough today to stay in.

Davis and Medhurst were very good despite stats.
You need to realise how critical the forward pressure they supply is to our gameplan. Lockyer doesn't provide that.
I agree. Unless Davis is carrying an injury and needs a rest (which seems possible), they both stay in IMO.

Maybe Brown out for Presti - but against Carlton, there seems no obvious match up for Presti. Maybe he could benefit from another weeks rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Change.
(Unless forced - Good to give Presti another week to make sure he's right).

N Brown v The Irishman.
Reid v Henderson.
Dawes v Jamieson.

I'm sorry - I hate being a knocker here but forward pressure is one aspect. The facts are Davis - his hands weren't clean and his skills were below his best and Medhurst - who I like as a player were just NOT good enough AGAIN on the big stage against weak opposition. It was a good even performance by the team across the board with players doing their roles. I promise you Davis (use injury as an excuse if you like) and Medhurst will need to do more. I don't know how many times I saw Medhurst caught out of position flat footed around a marking contest. I agree with the "forward pressure" argument but they both played below par in every other key factor today.

Lockyer was clearly rested this week and will come in fresh for Carlton. Macaffer or Medhurst goes out.

Medders played well enough considering he had Fletch on him for a while. Unchanged (give Presti a rest).

im watching t replay right now as i didnt get to see the match today, i reckon we should give leon a rest, i just saw him come off onto the bench looking to have a little bit of pain and talking to the club doctor. i reckon his is the week we bring in Rusling, Thornton cant take on cloke dawes rusling and fraser by himself :p

We are supposed to have the depth this year....

Medhurst - 9 possessions, 1 goal, one 1%
Davis - 9 possessions, 2 behinds, 0 1%

Against mediocre (inexperienced) opposition.

Come September in front of a big crowd its not good enough. It was a bonanza for opportunists in our forward line today.

Watch this space - these two need to do better.

Is Reid injured? He looked sore in the 3rd quarter (ankle) and in the last (hammy).

Hope he is ok because i think Dawes, Reid and Brown should keep playing until injured, reported or get 10 kicked on them (or no kicks) for 2+ games in a row.

I'd love to see Nate Brown retain his spot against Carlton. He had the hunger to win every contest and from where I was sitting, he rarely lost a contest all day- tremendous second and third efforts when the ball hit the deck to scoop it back out to a free man.
I'd rather we nurse Presti throughout the season, recalling him only when Reid or Brown truly have a dog day. However after yesterday I think there will be no change.
I think a lot of Macaffer's inside work went unnoticed on the day too, he has the poise when in the thick of it to look around and dish it off to a running player such as Wellingham or Pendlebury. Hopefully Mick continues to give him game time unless he commits any serious mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins and Outs vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back