Insert Essendons best player...

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Gumbleton (#2 draft pick >>>>>>>>>>>12)
Rioli
Buddy's missing tooth
Buddy
Sewell
Michael Hurley
Hodge
Burgoyne
Roughead
Bateman
Lewis
Brent Stanton
Shoenmakers
Shiels
Ellis
Brown
Young
Nathan Lovett-Murray

I would have added Essendon's captain but I've forgotten his name

Any Hawks' fan who puts a top 10 together without Sam Mitchell isn't trying hard enough IMO.

If you're going to rate Essendon's best against Hawthorn's, at least get the Hawks in a list that better resembles their comparitive merits. Here's mine reflective of both talent and impact (apologies to Burger and Gibbo, who are pretty good things to improve but have been rated conservatively due to playing zero games in the jumper yet).

1. Rioli
2. Hodge
3. Franklin
4. Mitchell
5. Sewell
6. Roughead
7. Burgoyne
8. Bateman
9. Lewis
10. Gibson

If, as suggested, Watson is Essendon's best then he'd probably sneak in ahead of Gibson and Lewis. If Lewis gets more minutes inside the centre square (his best position IMO, but tough when you're behind Mitchell and Sewell) in 2010, he may well overtake Watson.

You could also potentially make a case for Hurley instead of Gibson, assuming he makes a move to the Essendon defence (his best position IMO).

If Pelchen's model is correct, and it's your top six players that win you premierships, Essendon is a long way off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now this is an excellent thread H2F, a bit needling but actually an interesting contention.

I share the general perception that Essendon has a poor list, worse than Hawthorns on paper, and this is backed up by their performances vs the Pies in 2009: Bombers pinched one whereas the Hawks rolled us comfortably.

How on earth did Hawthorn miss the finals in 2009 then? Lazy? Poor coaching? Bad injury management?

I favour the last: that Port Adelaide style non-footy really wears the stars out, and Port collapsed the year after their GF, ditto the Hawks...maybe St Kilda are in for a flop?

Hawks have guts and class. I'd say they lack brains, whereas the Bombers have a smart organisation that avoids shooting itself in the foot, the mouth, the vein etc.

(edit...by vein I mean they don't give players too many pain killers so they can play on injured: Hodge is an inspiration but I fear he is shortening his career by playing hurt, and I want to see more of this future champion)

Watson is a better player than Hodge, for the simple reason he handles the hard tag particulaly well and dosen't play loose man in defence when he is struggling in the midfield (which is most weeks).

Who cares?

Yet another attempt at Hawthorn supporters trying to bring attention to a team that missed the finals in 2009 whereas Essendon didn't. Who cares how much Essendon lost by in the first final, they also lost to St. Kilda by over 100 points less than 12 months before they beat them in round 20.

"On paper", what a croc of shit.

Where would their best player sit on this list.

Rioli
Buddy
Mitchell
Sewell
Hodge

Burgoyne
Roughead
Bateman
Lewis

Shoenmakers
Shiels
Ellis
Brown
Young

I won't answer for two reasons.

One I am biased, and two I don't know for certain who their best player is?

Neutrals?

Bolded players all playing in round 7 when we beat the hawks by 44 points.

Rioli
Buddy
Sewell
Hodge
Burgoyne
Roughead
Bateman
Lewis
Shoenmakers
Shiels
Ellis
Brown
Young

Neutrals?

Comrade H2F, when viewed over the course of his career, Fletcher is better than anyone on that list by a wide margin, as good as Buddy, Sewell and Hodge have been hitherto.

He is an absolute gun and I hope he retires soon!!!

Biffinator.

Rioli
Buddy
Sewell
Hodge
Burgoyne
Roughead
Bateman
Lewis
Shoenmakers
Shiels
Ellis
Brown
Young

You obviously don't know who Hawthorns best player is either. If Cyril is already your best player you're in the shit

In fact if Cyril is indeed you best player you could make a pretty strong argument that Jobe Watson would be your best player :thumbsu:

General please watch this video...

[YOUTUBE]W_32gMMufyE[/YOUTUBE]

That's a nice video. He'd wanna have some good highlights though, because he kicks the ball less than 9 times a game, and doesn't kick many goals. Sets up a few but even that's over-rated, Dogs have got a couple of geriatrics in our forward line who set up more scoring chances

Cyril's a good player, but he is not a great player. You could make a Brett Burton video and he'd look like a champion too.

1. Judd
  2. Buddy
  3. Waite
  4. Murphy
  5. Roughead
  6. Kreuzer
  7. Gibbs
  8. Sewell
  9. Burgoyne
  10. Thornton
  11. Simpson
  12. McLean
  13. Rioli
  14. Hodge
  15. Bower
  16. Carrazzo
  17. Joseph
  18. Scotland
  19. Bateman
  20. Hadley
  21. Walker
  22. Lewis
  23. Betts
  24. Russell
  25. Grigg
  26. Houlihan
  27. Fisher
  28. O'hAilpin
  29. Robinson
  30. Henderson
  31. Austin
  32. Ellis
  33. <The remainder of Carlton's list>
  34. Young
  35. Brown
  36. Shoenmakers
  37. Shields

You obviously don't know who Hawthorns best player is either. If Cyril is already your best player you're in the shit

In fact if Cyril is indeed you best player you could make a pretty strong argument that Jobe Watson would be your best player :thumbsu:
http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2009/12/27/111961_ntsport.html
HAWTHORN goalsneak and former St Marys junior Cyril Rioli has been dubbed the Hawks' best player by former North Melbourne star Adam Simpson.
Now an assistant coach at Hawthorn, Simpson also expects 20-year-old Rioli to become a midfield star of the future.
Speaking on Melbourne radio station Sport 927, Simpson has no doubts on Rioli's allround ability.
"I didn't know how good he was until I came here (to Hawthorn)," he said.
"I'd almost go as far as saying he's our best player without putting too much pressure on him."
Adam Simpson>>>>>>You.

Remove this Banner Ad

Insert Essendons best player...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back