Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave - Swift is a Hine type of player. About 190, good athlete and a good kid. Sidebottom would only be in the mix at 11 if Swift goes earlier that then. Blease isn't a Hine type of player.

Why is Blease not the Type Hine does not Like?

Why is Blease not the Type Hine does not Like?

More body shape and size. Granted Blease will develop in time but he doesnt have the athletic build that Hine likes in his midfielders. Also pick 11 is a bit of a stretch for him. Swift is a better player if you think his knees will be OK.

More body shape and size. Granted Blease will develop in time but he doesnt have the athletic build that Hine likes in his midfielders. Also pick 11 is a bit of a stretch for him. Swift is a better player if you think his knees will be OK.

How does Dale Thomas fit in to the equation then?

Fair Enough Call, Swift does seem the Better Player but Only if he knees hold up

How does Dale Thomas fit in to the equation then?

If you had a look at his body before he was drafted he had the broad shoulders and the athletic frame. Blease doesn't have this. In time with a few seasons in the gym he will build up but recruiting managers love players with broad shoulders, even if they are quite lean. Swift has a similar body to Pendlebury.

If you had a look at his body before he was drafted he had the broad shoulders and the athletic frame. Blease doesn't have this. In time with a few seasons in the gym he will build up but recruiting managers love players with broad shoulders, even if they are quite lean. Swift has a similar body to Pendlebury.
and Simmlar Height as 190cm Over Mids, Plus Swift is Friends with Maxwell and Harry O'Brien when he Trained with us 2 seasons ago

When you look at it your very best mid's ATM are all around 187-190cm (except for Ablett and Harvey). Judd, Hayes, Corey, Cooney, Griffen, S.Thompson, Bruce, Burgoyne, Deledio, Dal Santo etc. All power athletes. Thats they way the game is going.

or would sidebottom be less of a risk?,because he has only missed a couple games in his hole footy life

He tested poorly in some areas at the Draft Camp which may have negated any gains by his TAC cup Grand Final. Granted testing is only that, testing. Just because a bloke test badly (i.e timed speed) doesn't mean that he doesn't have game speed, which is just as important i feel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone else think this reasoning was odd though? Palmer and Rich are not all that similar except for the fact that they both play in the middle and can win a bit of the ball. Palmer's disposal is not fantastic but likes to get forward. Probably plays outside a bit more but is very capable inside. Rich has a cannon of a leg, great disposal and probably when he settles will be a bit more of an inside player who can run outside. He will also play a bit deeper and deliver into 50 more than carry it into there. And since when did teams only want one gun midfielder?

I also thought Freo are more likely to have a few more of the Hill type than of the Palmer type. They seem to be loaded with lean runners from half back.

totally agree. and even if we were to follow his logic we wouldnt get hill either because we have a tall, lean and quick player who can come off half back and play midfield in garrick ibbotson:rolleyes:

very strange reasoning and if we take hill over rich i would be upset:mad:

When you look at it your very best mid's ATM are all around 187-190cm (except for Ablett and Harvey). Judd, Hayes, Corey, Cooney, Griffen, S.Thompson, Bruce, Burgoyne, Deledio, Dal Santo etc. All power athletes. Thats they way the game is going.

and kerr, mitchell, chapman, foley, kirk, bateman, hodge....

i agree that the trend is going towards 190cm midfielders but if they can play as well as those guys, like rich has the potential to, its unlikely that they will be overlooked just because of their height IMO.

He tested poorly in some areas at the Draft Camp which may have negated any gains by his TAC cup Grand Final. Granted testing is only that, testing. Just because a bloke test badly (i.e timed speed) doesn't mean that he doesn't have game speed, which is just as important i feel.
Sounds Like Jerry Rice(NFL), He Tested Poorly with Speed but had Great game Speed

and kerr, mitchell, chapman, foley, kirk, bateman, hodge....

i agree that the trend is going towards 190cm midfielders but if they can play as well as those guys, like rich has the potential to, its unlikely that they will be overlooked just because of their height IMO.

exactly.. there are more 190cm+ mids running around in the afl now, and being that tall with the athleticism to be a true mid is an advantage, but to say that your 190 your going to be a star, your 189 sorry no thanks is just ridiculous. you could name a LOT more mids that are under 190 than over in the afl... including the best of the lost in ablett.

Mmmm

Judd, Corey, Griffen and Deledio meet your height standards

Griffen is a soft HBF, Deledio a soft winger of FF when Terry's desperate not a midfielder. (They may become ones but they are nowhere near it at this point of their career)

Of the ones you didn't Thompson is a forward/midfield but I'll wear as big bodied so may have power, Dal santo wouldn't know what the centre square is unless he's running away form it and neither would Bruce all power athletes... my ass. At least pick good examples that meet your argument.

If the game is going your way then 6 out of the ten you named don't meet your height rules let alone the two you picked who don't meet those rules... one of which isn't playing anymore more... mmm guess that was because he could foresee superfreak's future AFL league even though he was taller than half the players superfreak named.

Oh he may have meant the other Harvey... but he's argument is still weak.

Sounds Like Jerry Rice(NFL), He Tested Poorly with Speed but had Great game Speed

very true - instinct and reaction time during a game are difficult to assess. these attributes more than make up for any speed deficiency.

eg dwayne armstrong the american gridiron player essendon experimented with was quite quick but we all know in a game of footy james hird would beat him to the contest 9/10 times because his instincts are better despite being slower in a sprint test.

Mmmm

Judd, Corey, Griffen and Deledio meet your height standards

Griffen is a soft HBF, Deledio a soft winger of FF when Terry's desperate not a midfielder. (They may become ones but they are nowhere near it at this point of their career)

Of the ones you didn't Thompson is a forward/midfield but I'll wear as big bodied so may have power, Dal santo wouldn't know what the centre square is unless he's running away form it and neither would Bruce all power athletes... my ass. At least pick good examples that meet your argument.

If the game is going your way then 6 out of the ten you named don't meet your height rules let alone the two you picked who don't meet those rules... one of which isn't playing anymore more... mmm guess that was because he could foresee superfreak's future AFL league even though he was taller than half the players superfreak named.

Sorry Zack but can't agree with you. You dont have to be hard at the pill to be a power athlete. Havent you heard the saying 'built like tarzan plays like jane'?
Griffen is far from a soft HBF, he is the definitive power athlete, Deledio's second half of the year where he played mostly midfield was as good as any, Dal Santo rarely gets tackled due to his core strength and power through the waist whilst Bruce's might not have the body strength but has the height.
Not sure where your going with your final statement but i suggest you should watch a bit more footy in more detail. If possible sit down with a couple of AFL recruiters and see what they have to say...you will be surprised. Also remember this is only in Collingwood's case (re: swift over blease) as it is Hine's penchant, other clubs may have different ideas, but usually most are pretty much alike.

Sorry Zack but can't agree with you. You dont have to be hard at the pill to be a power athlete. Havent you heard the saying 'built like tarzan plays like jane'?
Griffen is far from a soft HBF, he is the definitive power athlete, Deledio's second half of the year where he played mostly midfield was as good as any, Dal Santo rarely gets tackled due to his core strength and power through the waist whilst Bruce's might not have the body strength but has the height.
Not sure where your going with your final statement but i suggest you should watch a bit more footy in more detail. If possible sit down with a couple of AFL recruiters and see what they have to say...you will be surprised. Also remember this is only in Collingwood's case (re: swift over blease) as it is Hine's penchant, other clubs may have different ideas, but usually most are pretty much alike.

There's no doubt players over time are getting bigger it's called evolution.

I have no problem with Hine picking Swift over Blease. If you are willing to take the risk on the knees he's a far better future player.

I also have no problem with him picking athletes as he does very much like Clayton at the Dogs, in the end he will only be judged by premierships. Dogs have a problem no KPP's Collingwood also have a problem no real big KPP (Rocca was grabbed from the Swans and when you think about it, Buckley from Brissy as your best power athlete midfielder... followed by the Swans Licuria and best forward last year Medhurst from Freo add to that a spine I'm supposing when you made GF's of Presti b4 Hines time and Wakelin from St.Kilda, he'll Clement was your best KPP player as well for years another Fremantle trade) though Brown looks like he'll be a future player. Picking only power athletes is not the answer.

BTW how long has Hine been at Collingwood? Maybe all the trading for players from other teams has been a result of him picking power athletes.

I think Zack's point superfreak are that Hayes, Cooney, Thompson, Burgoyne and Dal Santo are all under 187. Other pretty fair mids under the 187 mark include as mentioned Ablett, Harvey and the likes of Black, Kirk, Mitchell, Kornes, Bartel and Hodge all of those guys I think anyone who watches as much football as you would profess to might have to think that those guys would all have had better seasons than any of those actual 187+ guys you mentioned. If we look draft wise you might also be interested in the fact that the recruiters who did the best in the small medium stakes (in Rioli, Palmer and Cotchin) all happenned to pick guys under 187 as well.

I concede though that if you have the choice between a good big man and a good small man you go the big. With the game getting quicker though and there being more possessions being able to actually get to contests and use it well when you do is becoming more and more important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Back