Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

I also have no problem with him picking athletes as he does very much like Clayton at the Dogs, in the end he will only be judged by premierships. Dogs have a problem no KPP's Collingwood also have a problem no real big KPP (Rocca was grabbed from the Swans and when you think about it, Buckley from Brissy as your best power athlete midfielder... followed by the Swans Licuria and best forward last year Medhurst from Freo add to that a spine I'm supposing when you made GF's of Presti b4 Hines time and Wakelin from St.Kilda, he'll Clement was your best KPP player as well for years another Fremantle trade) though Brown looks like he'll be a future player. Picking only power athletes is not the answer.

BTW how long has Hine been at Collingwood? Maybe all the trading for players from other teams has been a result of him picking power athletes.
Hine has been there since 2004.

In 2004 we had a functional spine of:
Presti
Wakes Clemo
Buckley
Rocca
Tarrant

All of them are gone except for Presti and Rocca who played like 10 games last year combined.

Since 2004 Hine has drafted a spine of:

Brown O'Brien
Anthony
Pendlebury
Cloke
Dawes Reid

Law of averages state that not all of them will make it, but him picking specific types over a traditional line-up is not entirely correct.

You mentioned Clayton. He's the one with the poor track record on talls. Surely even he can't fail the spine for GC17 given the picks he will have!

Apologies to the Freo fans but only Freo would be stupid enough to take Hill over Rich.

If you look closely at our drafting in recent years I think you will find that it has been pretty reasonable (06 was a shocker). It's our trading that has got us into the hole we are in

But I agree that the Hill choice seems unlikely. jgb posted on the Freo board that we usually go safe with our first picks and then take risks later on

Our last 7 first rd picks

Palmer
Drum
Dunn
Schammer
Polak
Pavlich
Haselby

All are genuine football types, strong bodied, proven performers at junior level and where considered less risk at the time. That would point to us picking Rich over Hill

There's no doubt players over time are getting bigger it's called evolution.

I have no problem with Hine picking Swift over Blease. If you are willing to take the risk on the knees he's a far better future player.

I also have no problem with him picking athletes as he does very much like Clayton at the Dogs, in the end he will only be judged by premierships. Dogs have a problem no KPP's Collingwood also have a problem no real big KPP (Rocca was grabbed from the Swans and when you think about it, Buckley from Brissy as your best power athlete midfielder... followed by the Swans Licuria and best forward last year Medhurst from Freo add to that a spine I'm supposing when you made GF's of Presti b4 Hines time and Wakelin from St.Kilda, he'll Clement was your best KPP player as well for years another Fremantle trade) though Brown looks like he'll be a future player. Picking only power athletes is not the answer.

BTW how long has Hine been at Collingwood? Maybe all the trading for players from other teams has been a result of him picking power athletes.

Not sure how much footy outside the hawks you watch superfreak if you believe deledio is not a mid and griffen is a soft hbf. Considering Griffen was the dogs second best player against your mob in the finals and one of the few dogs to put his head over the footy in that game Im supprised you would have this view. Deledio was outstanding in he midfield in the 2nd half of the year. The main reason he did not play more in the midfield previously was because he is a true utility and the tigs had many gaps to fill.

As for collingwoods kpp stocks there is a yong bloke by the name of cloke who is pretty big at one and and yes as you mention nathan brown at the other end. Add to this Dawes, Reid and Anthony who have all showed plenty of promise but still very young I reckon hines record of recruiting kpps is pretty good. Time will tell how good because hine has only been in the role about 4 years and at the rate kpps develop we should really start to see if these blokes are any good in the next few years.
I also dont think hine has just picked power athletes. In Thomas and Pendles he took 1 athlete and with thomas he took what I think is much more of a natural footballer. Our first pick last year in mccarthy while quite big is also more of your natural football type. IMO I think he has taken a real mixture of players.

He tested poorly in some areas at the Draft Camp which may have negated any gains by his TAC cup Grand Final. Granted testing is only that, testing. Just because a bloke test badly (i.e timed speed) doesn't mean that he doesn't have game speed, which is just as important i feel.

I think there are a few thinking sidebottom is a one game wonder. The grandfinal show was a build up he played very well in every final and by all reports and stats was bog in the last bushies game at albury against oak .
He's a class act and very good footballer i still think he's a chance from 4 -8 not just on his grandfinal.

Griffen is a soft HBF, Deledio a soft winger of FF when Terry's desperate not a midfielder. (They may become ones but they are nowhere near it at this point of their career)

Off topic yes but I can't let this go to the keeper. Griffen soft HBF? Deledio soft winger? Whatever, both played center for their respective clubs for large parts of the season, not sure about Griffen but Deledio averaged 25 possessions a game, sure is alot for a "winger of FF". :rolleyes:

There is a point to be said about taller midfielders, it is not complete but players like Pendlebury seem to be more common than before. Deledio/Griffen seem to be the typical tall athlete, can play numerous positions alongside the midfield and is a very good kick. Seems to be the way these days, midfielders don't just play center they also play HBF/wing/HFF in rotation. And clubs are looking for an athlete who not only has the engine to rotate and run, but the height to play possibly key positions in occasion. The fact that players like Hill with athleticism are being touted as the number three pick says something. Wont happen yes but it is being proposed.

Looks like the BigFooty love for Sidebottom doesn't reach inside footy.

VC will have a fit lol.

Can you imagine picking this guy up with your 2nd pick!

Like the look of us taking Trengove.

Thanks for that, last year's draft special read was very good and insightful.

It was decent and I will buy it again, as expected though it's not as in depth as you get on BF generally. The one big thing I noticed was harry taylor being shown as an early pick. I had not picked up his name mentioned in bigfooty before that point. He ended up going to Geelong as it's 1st round pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got who they had at 17, 18, 19, 20?

Only did the top 16.

Anybody who thinks it is just all coaches talking up there players should read some of the Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn's comments on some of his players. His comments on Caleb Tiller and Riley Milne are especially very honest. Refreshing to read compared to some of the other rubbish that is said. There seems to be a hell of alot players that will be certain 200 game players without a fault in there game if you believe what they say

Only did the top 16.

Anybody who thinks it is just all coaches talking up there players should read some of the Murray Bushrangers coach Phil Bunn's comments on some of his players. His comments on Caleb Tiller and Riley Milne are especially very honest. Refreshing to read compared to some of the other rubbish that is said. There seems to be a hell of alot players that will be certain 200 game players without a fault in there game if you believe what they say

Was thinking the same thing, he was very honest with all players..
Also with Dylan McNeil.

13 potential draft picks from the Murray Bushrangers? Can anyone give the stats on the most amount of players drafted from one TAC Club in a year?

Anyone else find it a little humorous when the Tassie regional manager said Cornelius was unlucky not to be drafted last year. Surely he'd know he wasn't eligible :confused:

can somebody who actually has the magazine or whatever actually say something thats in it. ffs!
Mock Draft,Team Reviews and Coaches thoughts on Draftable Players

i know! give us the mock draft then!..why is everyone so silent on it? when emma quayle was on sen, her mock draft was up in 2 minutes, yet its been 48 hours and no1 has mentioned the order.

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Footy Draft Special

Remove this Banner Ad

Back