Autopsy Insipid Dogs flogged by Hawks - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks playing like fire & Dogs playing in a slump. Recent losses of McCLean & Bruce, as well as retiring of Jong has caused the team to be down. I think they might be better against port next week though.

Did not fire a shot. Completely embarrassed.
Has any side ever made up the numbers from top 4?

Managing players with two weeks left. Not settling the line up and not playing another ruck. Comprehensively beaten by a sh*t side. ******* done with this year.

We have this terrible habit of an opportunity being presented to us and stuffing it right up.

That was our worst loss of the year by a million miles. Don't even think of spinning that Bevo. We deserve to be torched in the reviews this week, absolutely torched. Disgusting performance.

That was the worst actual effort from the team I've seen in a long long time.

• Defensive workrate non existent.
  • Smashed in centre bounce.
  • No competitiveness in the air or in the ruck.
  • No effort to get to the fall of the ball or the contest either forward or back. Consistently outnumbered everywhere.
  • We were soft. And considering this team of the past half decade thats a nasty descriptor to use. We are usually harder at the ball than anyone. I saw Bailey Smith do a Jack Darling style squib in the air in the centre square.
  • JJ literally makes several metres more running effort in the wrong direction to avoid contact with the opposition. What a pathetic footballer he has become.
English has been a waste of years of development. I honestly cant believe after the time we've put in how soft and gutless he still is. He's nowhere near a number one ruckman. He's a backup tall utility. The team needs an actual ruckman in the worst way.

Cody Weightman and maybe Naughton can hold their heads high. The rest was ****ing diabolical.

A fair few need dropping and its a real problem that there is no settled lineup for a top 4 team this late in the year.

So many incredibly poor efforts from English, at least 3, 1 hand mark attempts, 5 or 6 easy walk away from ruck contests for Hawks.

For me, this is the legacy of allowing him to do that throughout his career and keep getting picked,

5th season, 205cm, big bodied no 1 ruck, wow

Mids- don’t work hard enough when they don’t have the pill. English is one of the most feeble footballers I’ve ever seen, constantly outmarked. Bont constantly caught and Treloar looks like he doesn’t want to be out there and JJ is an absolute cat who should be dropped.

Terrible, but what makes it worse is that this was our response to last week's embarrassing effort against Essendon. I think it shows, in part, that we are still a work in progress with some of the deficiencies in our list. But that doesn't explain a lot of other things about that truly insipid effort out there today.

That was the worst actual effort from the team I've seen in a long long time.

• Defensive workrate non existent.
  • Smashed in centre bounce.
  • No competitiveness in the air or in the ruck.
  • No effort to get to the fall of the ball or the contest either forward or back. Consistently outnumbered everywhere.
  • We were soft. And considering this team of the past half decade thats a nasty descriptor to use. We are usually harder at the ball than anyone. I saw Bailey Smith do a Jack Darling style squib in the air in the centre square.
  • JJ literally makes several metres more running effort in the wrong direction to avoid contact with the opposition. What a pathetic footballer he has become.
English has been a waste of years of development. I honestly cant believe after the time we've put in how soft and gutless he still is. He's nowhere near a number one ruckman. He's a backup tall utility. The team needs an actual ruckman in the worst way.

Cody Weightman and maybe Naughton can hold their heads high. The rest was ******* diabolical.

A fair few need dropping and its a real problem that there is no settled lineup for a top 4 team this late in the year.
And so say all of us!

Hawks playing like fire & Dogs playing in a slump. Recent losses of McCLean & Bruce, as well as retiring of Jong has caused the team to be down. I think they might be better against port next week though.

But look at the Hawks, almost half their side was out with injury and they still flogged us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our ruck situation is simply untenable. Two weeks in a row we have got murdered by opposition ruckman (Ceglar 17 disposals, 3 contested marks, 34 Hitouts and 6 clearances). 10 centre clearances to 4. Beyond a joke.

The domino effect it is having is costing us majorly. All well and good winning clearances around the park but when we play with one extra it means that the spare defender is plonked right in front of Naughton. It would be hard enough winning games if we had Bruce to help him, let alone play sole KPF by himself.

Lets add in the revolving door of how we structure up front to mixture of problems.

Senior players like JJ, Cordy, Wood, Hannan and others need to have a very hard look at themselves. Time for us to end playing Cordy in the seniors.
so true, were back to where weve been for the past few years, getting absolutely destroyed in the ruck,

we were 2 goals up, looking great, back to the centre, 3 centre claearances in a row to Hawks, 3 goals, game over, i dont blame others for dropping their head after that

Been pretty positive most this season, but f*** me we looked well and truly cooked, midfield torn apart by players ive never even heard of, Bev needs to put his ego aside and play a ruckman, I honestly don’t know what happens from here, possible slip out of the top 4 or straight sets exit, we are in trouble.

That was the laziest performance I can recall from a bulldogs team, with the gulf in talent between the two teams to only have 35 inside 50s is staggering. There are clear changes that need to be made to the setup of the side, but when don't put your body on the line or close down simple uncontested marks you're never going to beat anyone.

Dunkley has been awful since coming back, he's a one dimensional crab at the moment. A top ten pick would be daylight robbery for a side with a surplus of midfielders right now.

Treloar and Smith are the two midfielders with speed but don't work anywhere near hard enough defensively.

English being persisted with as the number ruck is madness, Sweet going statless and English playing forward would be a net positive compared to the current setup.

Hannan just simply isn't up to it, but he'll still be picked.

Last edited:
Terrible effort. Dysfunctional. You would think beveridge would have some idea of how to play the ground from his time at hawthorn. So either he got his instructions wrong or the players didn’t listen.
English is not the answer in the ruck, gets moved off the line way too easily and looked defeated didn’t even want the ball in the last.
Do not get why our team is so emotional, Bruce hurt his knee he didn’t die, yet it’s like our players were mourning him and didn’t want to be there.
I will be barracking for them non stop but I don’t see us doing anything in finals or in future till we get a quality ruck.

It starts in the ruck.

Timmy's new nickname should be Crème Anglaise because he's as soft as aerated whipped cream.
He probably only breaks even with about 2 other rucks in the entire league....

From there we're pushing s#!+ uphill.

He's a 90/10 fwd ruck.

In: Sweet, Marra, Gardner
Out: Wood, Hannan (the invisible man), Cordy.

About the only silver lining I can say is maybe - and I’m stretching for it, it’s a big maybe - it’s a massive wake up call for the team.

We were playing at a ground we barely play at and literally could not have played worse. Jamarra back in and Hannan out (permanently) to provide a better second forward option, plus either Martin or Sweet in the ruck, then maybe we can turn it around.

But still, I feel like I’m stretching writing this.

What a disaster.

so true, were back to where weve been for the past few years, getting absolutely destroyed in the ruck,

we were 2 goals up, looking great, back to the centre, 3 centre claearances in a row to Hawks, 3 goals, game over, i dont blame others for dropping their head after that
Lewis young vs Big Boy Mcevoy was never going to have any other outcome. Just play the flipping ruckman we have on the list and use english as the backup.

Sure with sweet you will sacrifice other things but we are getting butchered in the centre bounce at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Insipid Dogs flogged by Hawks - Rd 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back