Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Good thread. I was working in construction a few years ago - all meals paid = high carb intake. Was made redundant and repositioned into the operations part of the company where the budget was considerably lower and you were on site 13 hours a day.

Gave up breakfast for a coffee and ate a small meal at 11am and an average dinner at 6 everyday. Lost 14kg in 4 months and didn’t notice. I just kept really busy with work and young kids and inadvertently fasted 16 hours a day (if you exclude the coffee which was mostly hot water with no sugar).

The stomach contracts and you can feel chockers after a glass of water.

Good tips! How do you guys factor in exercising? I'll be riding to work anywhere between 6 and 7am usually, hopefully I can just have water/black coffee afterwards and not be wrecked by 11.

Do you guys generally eat big for the last meal before fast or do you just adjust eventually so it's not so necessary?

I only thought earlier that this may impact my other hobby negatively; drinking beer in excess on a Saturday. Saturday night will be very difficult come footy season, lucky I've got a whole pre-season to get ready.

Good tips! How do you guys factor in exercising? I'll be riding to work anywhere between 6 and 7am usually, hopefully I can just have water/black coffee afterwards and not be wrecked by 11.

Do you guys generally eat big for the last meal before fast or do you just adjust eventually so it's not so necessary?

I've been doing 16/8 for a while now and have no problem doing a heavy workout before my first meal. I think you just have to teach your body to not rely on fast sugars coming in.

I've found that hunger is something in your head. I do the 16/8 normally 6 days per week and whenever I get hungry, the hunger goes away almost instantly because I realise there's no chance of food coming in during the 16 hour period. However, on Saturday, when I don't do the fast, I find it much harder to fight bad food cravings.

I would advise to start off slowly if you don't feel sure. I used to snack a lot during the day (healthy foods such as nuts and fruit, but it's still snacking) and surrender myself to bread and hummus late at night, but now I've gone to 2 (big) meals per day. At first I kept eating nuts, avocado and some fruit halfway through the 8 hour window but I've learned those are no longer needed.

I'm now planning on slowly going from 8 hours to 7 or 6, and throw in a 24 hour day here and there. And it's ok to have days off of course.

I've been doing it since I posted in here, not finding it too bad though I need to manage my time better, been caught out a couple of days already when things have come up and I'm having my last bit of food closer to 7:30. By 11 I'm pretty hungry but as long as I'm busy I don't notice though the first day I was a little light headed. I have two big cold black coffees and water, then try my best to be near my Esky right on 11 to have an apple or a hard-boiled egg or whatever I have in there.

Obviously very early days but I don't see why I can't keep this up. Even saving money not giving into the 9 o'clock smoko truck stop with the boss. Saturday night will be difficult though, 7 o'clock is a bit early to finish up on the beers .

I've been doing it since I posted in here, not finding it too bad though I need to manage my time better, been caught out a couple of days already when things have come up and I'm having my last bit of food closer to 7:30. By 11 I'm pretty hungry but as long as I'm busy I don't notice though the first day I was a little light headed. I have two big cold black coffees and water, then try my best to be near my Esky right on 11 to have an apple or a hard-boiled egg or whatever I have in there.

Obviously very early days but I don't see why I can't keep this up. Even saving money not giving into the 9 o'clock smoko truck stop with the boss. Saturday night will be difficult though, 7 o'clock is a bit early to finish up on the beers .
Sticking to the starting time is far more important than the finishing time for the first 6 or so months while adapting. I started IF a few months after this thread began and even now have no issue with a few late night beers.

Sticking to the starting time is far more important than the finishing time for the first 6 or so months while adapting. I started IF a few months after this thread began and even now have no issue with a few late night beers.

Well that is encouraging at least. I have full commitment to not eating before 11, it's the after 7 bit that is hard. That's around the young fellas bedtime and you can't even consider a couple of squares of dark chocolate if he's within the same post code or he wants a piece.

Well that is encouraging at least. I have full commitment to not eating before 11, it's the after 7 bit that is hard. That's around the young fellas bedtime and you can't even consider a couple of squares of dark chocolate if he's within the same post code or he wants a piece.
At the end of the day if its to become a lifestyle choice, bending the rules a bit is a no brainer.
The reason people don't stick to diets or fasting is because it becomes a chore and lifestyle restrictive. The trick is to find the ballance so its natural, and it sounds like you are on the right track. Just don't stress, and enjoy it.

Last edited:
I guess today would be my fifth day at it, still sticking to it but felt a bit shit over the weekend, kind of hungover but i didn't actually drink and today got very light headed getting up and down. I'm a sparky, ceiling fan season is about to explode, I'm pretty sure I'll genuinely pass out if I have to get in a roof. Is this just all part of it as I get used to it? Is there something I should put in my water to help for a bit until I'm better adjusted? Even now after I've eaten a big salad and half a litre of maximus drink, full to the point of popping, I still feel pretty hazy.

I guess today would be my fifth day at it, still sticking to it but felt a bit shit over the weekend, kind of hungover but i didn't actually drink and today got very light headed getting up and down. I'm a sparky, ceiling fan season is about to explode, I'm pretty sure I'll genuinely pass out if I have to get in a roof. Is this just all part of it as I get used to it? Is there something I should put in my water to help for a bit until I'm better adjusted? Even now after I've eaten a big salad and half a litre of maximus drink, full to the point of popping, I still feel pretty hazy.
Increasing water by at least 50% in the first few weeks (same as starting a low carb or keto diet) and also increasing electrolytes is a must

At the end of the day if its to become a lifestyle choice, bending the rules a bit is a no brainer.
The reason people don't stick to diets or fasting is because it becomes a chore and lifestyle restrictive. The trick is to find the ballance so its natural, and it sounds like you are on the right track. Just don't stress, and enjoy it.
agree with your post. however the hardest part i have found is coping with trying to function while feeling absolute rubbish.

I've definitely increased my water consumption, this lifestyle is definitely good for strengthening the ol' bladder. I start the day with two 750ml cold cups of black coffee, maybe I need to try just water or something or have the coffee once I'm at work, I take coffee in a little plastic bag and just tip it into a water bottle with a quick shake. My boss thinks I have issues.

I hear what you're saying Not Important, it's lucky I wasn't doing a whole lot this morning or I would've gone down I reckon. Need to work on the electrolytes I guess .

I'm thinking it might be salt related? Did anyone have to use salt tablets or is there another kind of supplement I could take that could cover a few based? Put some Himalayan salt in a water bottle this morning and it was yuuuuuck.

I'm thinking it might be salt related? Did anyone have to use salt tablets or is there another kind of supplement I could take that could cover a few based? Put some Himalayan salt in a water bottle this morning and it was yuuuuuck.
lite salt is half potassium half sodium so covers more electrolytes. I drink a lemon and lite salt concoction every morning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What have you stopped eating since making a conscious effort to do IF and has your calorie intake changed?

What have you stopped eating since making a conscious effort to do IF and has your calorie intake changed?

I've never really tracked calorie intake to know. The only think I've really stopped eating is crap from smoko shops or bakeries, just been bringing lunch every day. Maybe not as much bread I guess and the black coffees mean there's about a glass of milk I'd usually have that I'm not but nothing major. Dinners are no different.

If it helps my lunchbox has a salad (lettuce, tomato, capsicum, avacado, beetroot and chicken) a couple of hard-boiled eggs, an apple, a banana, a carrot and some peanut butter. Don't really have time to snack once I'm home because dinner is usually around the 5:30-6 mark.

I've never really tracked calorie intake to know. The only think I've really stopped eating is crap from smoko shops or bakeries, just been bringing lunch every day. Maybe not as much bread I guess and the black coffees mean there's about a glass of milk I'd usually have that I'm not but nothing major. Dinners are no different.

If it helps my lunchbox has a salad (lettuce, tomato, capsicum, avacado, beetroot and chicken) a couple of hard-boiled eggs, an apple, a banana, a carrot and some peanut butter. Don't really have time to snack once I'm home because dinner is usually around the 5:30-6 mark.

If you've cut back carbs as part of moving to IF, you may be suffering from 'carb flu' - its an effect of your body adapting to a low carb diet. It usually only lasts a week and you can help by upping fluids and electrolytes. Sometimes potassium can help too = green leafy veg and avacado (which you seem to have covered).

That could explain the nasty arse fever I shivered and seatswe through last night. This getting healthy stuff sure makes you feel like shit! I actually felt a lot better today, could it have something to do with the schnitzel and chips from the pub last night or could I be coming out the other side?

That could explain the nasty arse fever I shivered and seatswe through last night. This getting healthy stuff sure makes you feel like shit! I actually felt a lot better today, could it have something to do with the schnitzel and chips from the pub last night or could I be coming out the other side?

If you cut out all those foods and replaced with healthier foods your calorie intake has dropped. That’s where the “weakness” and lethargy comes from. And the schnitzel and chips has upped your calories again and you would of felt more energised.

I remember when I made a conscious effort to change my eating habits, after about two weeks in, I had a two week patch where I had a lack of energy and felt very lethargic. But I pushed through and felt better.

Edit: stick with it, it’s hard to say just push through it but it will get better and easier, the body will adapt. It will show you the inportance of cycling calories and having a day of higher intake.

Last edited:
If you cut out all those foods and replaced with healthier foods your calorie intake has dropped. That’s where the “weakness” and lethargy comes from. And the schnitzel and chips has upped your calories again and you would of felt more energised.

I remember when I made a conscious effort to change my eating habits, after about two weeks in, I had a two week patch where I had a lack of energy and felt very lethargic. But I pushed through and felt better.

Edit: stick with it, it’s hard to say just push through it but it will get better and easier, the body will adapt. It will show you the inportance of cycling calories and having a day of higher intake.

Yeah after reading up about the carb flu that explains it. I'll carry on with it, as a whole I do feel better. I guess nothing good comes easy, eh? Hopefully it only hangs around for a week.

I did my first 24 hour fasting on Saturday. While I did have a few hangry moments throughout the day, I got the feeling I could've added another day really. Does anyone have experience with this? On Saturday night I wasn't sure whether I could eat a full day's worth of calories or should restrict myself to a regular dinner.

I've now gone from 16/8 to 18/6 on most days. I definitely feel so much is in our head. When I plan to eat at 10am, I'm really hungry by 9.30. Yet when I plan to eat at midday, I only get hungry by 11.30.

I started IF 10 weeks ago. Initially results (losing fat) came very slowly but since I cut out snacking and only eat two (big) meals per day, the fat is clearly coming off. I've lost around 3 kg and 2 of those easily in the last 3-4 weeks.

Damn took me a week to read all 67 pages :)
Hi guys and girls great thread. Picked up a few handy bits and pieces.
Im getting into the healthy lifestyle big time. By making 1 small change at a time.

Starting weight 105 kg
March cut out bread from diet
I was one moody sob for a couple of weeks lol , this was the 1st and hardest change of all
June cut out mid week alcohol
July started Wim Hof
August cut out sugar from diet
September started 16/8
October built up to 19/5
November 14th did my first fast wanted 43 hrs got to 31hrs no hunger pains but couldn't sleep so ate, still barely slept only got about 2hrs for the night.
I will do a 43 hr next week

Forgot to put current weight is 87 kg

Have listened to a lot of Rhonda patrick on joe rogan podcast.
Apparently studies done show you only have to do the 16/8 5 days a week. Suits me perfectly so can drink late or eat late on weekends.

Also from what she has said regarding 16/8 is don't have anything but water in the 16, as coffee has to be metabolized

Forgot to put current weight is 87 kg

Have listened to a lot of Rhonda patrick on joe rogan podcast.
Apparently studies done show you only have to do the 16/8 5 days a week. Suits me perfectly so can drink late or eat late on weekends.
Also from what she has said regarding 16/8 is don't have anything but water in the 16, as coffee has to be metabolized
Fair call if she said this, but that's the restrictive part that moves it away from an easy lifestyle choice.
From experience on so any forums over the years, those who take it nth degree rarely last 6 months

Fair call if she said this, but that's the restrictive part that moves it away from an easy lifestyle choice.
From experience on so any forums over the years, those who take it nth degree rarely last 6 months
Yeah totally agree, when i first heard Peter Attia talk and he does a 22/2 split i thought he was nuts and no sane person could do that, or keep to that schedule now im close to that being a reality.

I was unintentionally doing a 15/9 with food before i had even heard of 16/8, so the only real thing i had to change was have my tea or coffee 4 hrs later.
But that same thing, people wear themselves out by putting to much effort into multiple things. Im all about jacking the brain at the moment and from what I've been reading you should only ever make 1 change at a time and put all your effort into that. After 60 odd days it becomes a habit and it doesn't then take effort it just becomes the norm. Then you can move onto the next thing you want to change and by doing that its supposed to make lasting change instead of the 6 month burnout.

Yeah totally agree, when i first heard Peter Attia talk and he does a 22/2 split i thought he was nuts and no sane person could do that, or keep to that schedule now im close to that being a reality.

I was unintentionally doing a 15/9 with food before i had even heard of 16/8, so the only real thing i had to change was have my tea or coffee 4 hrs later.
But that same thing, people wear themselves out by putting to much effort into multiple things. Im all about jacking the brain at the moment and from what I've been reading you should only ever make 1 change at a time and put all your effort into that. After 60 odd days it becomes a habit and it doesn't then take effort it just becomes the norm. Then you can move onto the next thing you want to change and by doing that its supposed to make lasting change instead of the 6 month burnout.
Peter Attia is awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back