Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Not eating is a terrible way to lose weight.

Not eating is a fine way to lose weight

But it's a terrible way to lose weight but keep muscle

So I'm attempting the 8/16 split at the moment and definitely losing fat and becoming more vascular

But I will attribute some of it to the intake of less calories

Weight loss is about long term stuff.

Cut out milk, most diary, sugar, regular wheat, try to rarely eat pasta and use substitutes when you do. I made a big change in the last 18 months and continue to change and I really enjoy it – I have even soy milk now and it's so thick and sweet.

Yep...nothing at all...a couple of double espressos during the day...maybe a coke zero at lunch time...

Your body gets used to the small hunger pangs you get after you haven't eaten for 3-4 hours (apparently that isn't real hunger, more that these days most people will succumb and start snacking)...

I do feel a bit of hunger around the 20 hour mark...but I go to sleep a few hours later and feel right as rain the following morning...the two sleeps allow you to do over 30 hours pretty easily...

Cut out milk, most diary, sugar, regular wheat, try to rarely eat pasta and use substitutes when you do. I made a big change in the last 18 months and continue to change and I really enjoy it – I have even soy milk now and it's so thick and sweet.
add chocolate and alcohol and you have my diet right there though.:)

What substitutes do you use?

Just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on this, appeared in an article in the Guardian. First time I've ever heard anything of the sort

The São Paulo researchers examined the effects of fasting every other day on the bodyweight, free radical levels and insulin function of normal adult rats over three months. Although the rats’ bodyweight and food intake decreased as expected, the amount of fat tissue in their abdomen actually increased. In addition, cells of the pancreas that release insulin showed damage, while the presence of increased levels of free radicals and markers of insulin resistance were also detected.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/20/fasting-diets-raise-risk-of-diabetes

Last time I checked we weren't rats....
Well spotted. Although it’s a reasonable point, it’s not like it’s an unsafe study to conduct on human volunteers

Shame that this thread has become a ghost town.

IF is one of the greatest 'life hacks' I have ever found.
it's pretty set and forget though, unless someone new comes along with questions not much need to post about it I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it's pretty set and forget though, unless someone new comes along with questions not much need to post about it I guess
Fair call. Where are you at with it? Has it changed your life?

I remember being a doughboy back in the day. Never fat-fat (by Australian standards), but 10 kgs fatter than I should have been.

IF was the single most important change I made which helped me shed the flab. It also changed my worldview, to realise I had been so easily deceived about the 'importance of breakfast'.

Led me to reconsider a whole bunch of other thngs I thought I knew. Life has never been the same since.

Fair call. Where are you at with it? Has it changed your life?

I remember being a doughboy back in the day. Never fat-fat (by Australian standards), but 10 kgs fatter than I should have been.

IF was the single most important change I made which helped me shed the flab. It also changed my worldview, to realise I had been so easily deceived about the 'importance of breakfast'.

Led me to reconsider a whole bunch of other thngs I thought I knew. Life has never been the same since.
It's a tool like any other.
I did some 24 hour fasts after reading Eat. Stop. Eat.

It certainly helped change how I think about eating and food. I haven't been doing any sort of strict IF lately.

This past month I've cut right back on the booze, no mid week drinking, cut right back on the take away and snacks, eating a lot more salad and a lot less potato and feeling good for it.

I've dropped 3kgs just from that. I might add some proper fasts back in, my biggest issue with them is I like my coffee with milk and sugar, having to forgo that in the morning is something I usually can't be bothered with

How much you reckon you guys dropped?

I do this naturally and incidentally regardless, but just curious.

You guys ever tried eating at say 1pm? Right now I eat around 11am after a coffee then just have tea at about 5:30-6:30. That's all I eat and when I eat. Would tightening that result in anything more?

After experimenting on various hourly combinations ive settled on 8/16. Best thing i have ever done.
I "never" eat before 11am, but if a social situation comes up i have no issue eating or drinking after the 8th hour. Its such a part of my life i doubt I'll ever change

My old man swears by this. Has always been active (jogging, cycling, tennis, squash) but could never shift his gut. Started on 8/16 3-4 years ago and has never look better.

How much you reckon you guys dropped?

I do this naturally and incidentally regardless, but just curious.

You guys ever tried eating at say 1pm? Right now I eat around 11am after a coffee then just have tea at about 5:30-6:30. That's all I eat and when I eat. Would tightening that result in anything more?

For fat loss or health benefits....?

fat loss tbh. Health is good, feel realllll good most of the time. Just want to lose 2-3 kegs before summer.

If fat loss is the main goal, limiting your calories will have more of an impact than shortening your eating window.

But limiting your window may help you reduce calories.

Seems like something I could have a crack at. I can usually go no breakfast till around 10am if I'm busy, I'm sure if I get used to it I can stretch that till 11, then we usually have dinner around 5:30. I might have to give it a go. Do most people do 11-7? Obviously you still eat as healthy as possible for the 8 hours of eating but is there a rough calorie target also?

Seems like something I could have a crack at. I can usually go no breakfast till around 10am if I'm busy, I'm sure if I get used to it I can stretch that till 11, then we usually have dinner around 5:30. I might have to give it a go. Do most people do 11-7? Obviously you still eat as healthy as possible for the 8 hours of eating but is there a rough calorie target also?
IF should be independent of all other dietary issues like weight loss, calorie counting, type of diet etc, it's all about hunger control. Your circadian rhythm hunger clock doesn't take long to reset and the 16 hours of fasting is so natural.
Forget about calories or the type of diet for the a few weeks so you can reset, then you then look at the type of diet and calorie count you want

My biggest tip for those starting out.
If your starting time is 11am (or 12pm or whatever) make sure you have something to eat, a big meal, tiny snack, even a simpe lolie, anything, "bang on that time of the day" Your circadian rhythm is incredibly precise, and you will adapt so much faster than if you do it 5, 10, 15 or whatever minutes randomly after the hour each day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back