International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Malta defeat England. Yes it's true!

Malta embraces rugby league in 36 to 6 defeat of England in Malta
Sun Oct 23, 2:33am (NSW)

Written by: Anthony Micallef
The Maltese public has been treated to a professional display of rugby league in all facets of the game at Marsa Stadium this afternoon where the home side, the Malta Knights defeated England Lionhearts by 36 points to 6.

With Malta Olympic Committee officials and High Commisioners of Australia and Malta respectively, Malta opened the try scoring through Ryan Borg following a penalty conversion to England that initially kick started scoring preceedings following an initial simmering tension.

Malta's tries were scored by Ryan Borg, Matt Zammit; who displayed his trademark mile-high dive, Brad Clews, Matt Dux in the left corner, Luke Branighan and Simon Micallef while Ben Sammut was splendid with the boot kicking 6 from 7.

Robert Bonavia received as much support as the entire Maltese national team when head coach Joe Grima praised the Maltese local with a great presence on the field throughout both halves where the in-experienced rugby union player held his own in the forwards.

RLEF Representative Ben Araud was appreciative in his congratulations saying 'I'm impressed with the event'

Player of the match for Malta was fullback Ryan Borg. England's captain received the respective accolades on the other side of the presentation.

Further in depth report and pictures to appear later.

The Sunday Times will cover the match in full as will Super One TV and PBS TV.

FULL TIME
Marsa Stadium, Malta
MALTA Knights 36 (Borg, Zammit, Clews, Dux, Branighan, Micallef tries. Sammut 6 from 7 goals)
ENGLAND Lionhearts 6(1 try, 1 from 2 goals)
H-T Malta 18-6
Att 5000

Euro Update

Ireland beat Scotland to set up Welsh showdown
Sun Oct 23, 8:20pm (Wales)
Wales need to win or draw against Ireland next Saturday in Dublin if they are to qualify for the Rugby League European Nations Cup Final in Carcassonne on Saturday 5 November.

This is after Ireland withstood a second-half onslaught in Glasgow on Sunday, to clinch a sixth successive win over Scotland.

Ireland controlled the first half and led 10-0 after 27 minutes with tries by Salford half-back Karl Fitzpatrick and Warrington winger Dean Gaskill.

Castleford's Paul Handforth converted the latter try after Fitzpatrick had intercepted a Scotland attack and raced 70 metres before offloading to Gaskill.
In an error-strewn game played in damp conditions at Old Anniesland, there was no more scoring for over 40 minutes.

Scotland dominated second-half possession but could find no way through an excellent Irish defence.

The hosts badly missed the inventiveness of scrum-half Danny Brough, who came on as a substitute and only lasted 12 minutes before being carried off with a bruised fibula.

Ireland rarely got out of their half after the break, but extended their lead 10 minutes from time when Billy Treacy of Treaty City kicked a penalty for an infringement at the play-the-ball in front of the posts.

Scotland were running out of time when skipper Dave McConnell finally put some points on the board. Andrew Henderson kept the ball alive and McConnell touched down his 76th minute grubber kick.

Gareth Morton's conversion reduced the deficit to six points but when debutant Mick Nanyn knocked-on as Scotland mounted a final assault, their last chance disappeared.
Ireland’s 12-6 win puts them in second place in Group A. Wales head the group on points difference due to their 22-14 win over Scotland last week.

In Group B on Sunday, Russia beat Georgia 48-18 in Moscow. This result means that Georgia will have to beat France by at least 60 points in Tiblisi next Sunday to qualify for the Final.

France lost 22-12 in a friendly international against England at Headingley on Sunday while England’s A side, who beat Wales 36-32 last month, lost to Malta 36-6 on Saturday in the first-ever rugby league international played on Maltese soil.

Re: Malta defeat England. Yes it's true!

Thread a bit misleading, lets play Malta against the full-strength England team! :p

Anyway, great work for developing Rugby League in Malta.

More people attended this game than the Tri-Nations game in Sydney (in proportion to the population).

Re: Malta defeat England. Yes it's true!

Btw the RU boys aren't doing much better at getting home grown players into their national side.

...With the squad of 22 selected, Mr Neill is currently in the final preparations for the match and is playing just three local boys. Stompers and The Times staff photographer Matthew Mirabelli and Kavallieri duo Ian Borda and Chris Vassallo.

Three Aussies have made it into the squad. Two of them - winger Simon Micallef, who plays for Malta Knights, and Guy Kennedy, who plays for Canberra Vikings - will represent Malta for the first time and will join fly-half Rohan Spiteri, also of Malta Knights, who are currently on a two-week tour of the island.
The rest of the squad will fly in from the UK: K. Mason, J. Ramage, T. Webb, H. Collins, L. Watts, D. St. George, S. Kempster, M. Whitney, S. Haycock, J. Diamond, D. Busuttil, J. Caruana, T. Watts. N. Warren, O. Sacco and J. Sultana. However it's not easy preparing for an international rugby match when many of the squad live abroad.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=203344

Lebanese club to tour Serbia?

http://www.libansport.com/ointerviews.php?id=81

Also... notice the reference to a high school team....

Raymond Safi: Rugby League from Australia to Lebanon

For the first time in Lebanon, Libansport is proud to be the first to introduce to the Lebanese sports fans, especially to rugby league fans worldwide, the Lebanese rugby league head coach, Raymond Safi,. Through this interview coach Safi updated us about the development of this “new” sport in Lebanon.

Let us start by who you are and how you started in this game?

My name is Raymond Safi and I am the Lebanese head coach of Liban Espoir, the second national team. I started playing rugby league when I was six years old in Sydney, Australia. You can say that at this age I became attached to the game.

What made you like and choose this sport other than the rest of sports?

Well, when I was six, I didn’t know that much about other sports, but my parents wanted me to play rugby league. They knew how much rugby carries discipline conditions to any person and how much a person benefits from this positive side.

You started playing Rugby League in Australia. Would you please tell us how things went on and how did you end up coaching the game in Lebanon?

Through out my rugby league career in Sydney, I reached semi professional player status. I came to Lebanon on a holiday. I was doing my military service and there I met Danny Kazandjian, the current vice president and development officer of the Lebanese rugby league committee. After I finished my service year in the army, I started coaching the AUB Rugby League team.

What are the differences between playing/coaching in Australia versus Lebanon?

In Australia, it’s a well established game where rugby league is familiar in schools, universities, and televisions. Where as in Lebanon, it’s a new game and many people have never seen a rugby ball before.

In your opinion what are the characteristics of a rugby league player or what does the person needs to become a rugby player? And do you think that we have this talent in Lebanon?

Anybody can play rugby league. All you need is to have will and heart.

What teams have you played for or coached, whether in Australia or Lebanon?

I have played for a lot of teams in Australia varying from school teams, district teams, regional teams, or NSW teams. There too many to name. In Lebanon, I have played for and coached the Lebanese Army team, AUB, AUST, USEK, BALAMAND HIGH SCHOOL, and LIBAN ESPOIR.

Can you please tell us about your experience with Liban Espoir, the second national team formed of university players?

Liban espoir is a team selected from the best players in five university teams in Lebanon. The team went on tour to the UK in August playing against England Lionhearts and Wales. It has also participated in the Bristol 9s tournament and won the trophy. You can check the details of the tournament on www.lebrl.com (details also posted on Libansport). It was an honor to coach Liban Espoir.

How do you find this sport in Lebanon comparing it to the rest of the world?

It is a relatively new sport in Lebanon but when you compare it to the rest of the countries, we are much more structured, and our improvement is faster than the rest.

What do you think is needed to improve this sport in Lebanon?

Well, what we need is a federation to improve the game in Lebanon especially with the existence of good talents.

Are you satisfied with what rugby league achieved so far in Lebanon?

Yes, I am so happy for what we achieved so far. We have now eleven players playing for Lebanon Cedars team. The sad thing is the cancellation of the Mediterranean Cup 2005. I hope that it will be held, as it has been since 2002, in the upcoming year 2006.

According to what we have heard, it seems that you have another challenge this time with another team: "AUST Knights". They will represent Lebanon in a friendly tournament held in Serbia and Montenegro. Do you think that they are ready for this challenge? What are the preparations of the Knights? .

Knights' players can do anything when they put their minds to it; their only problem is the administrative side. The team is training hard and needs to concentrates on some areas. Other than that we are definitely on the right track.

Would you like to add any last comments to the fans or salutes to anyone?

I would like to thank all rugby league players in Lebanon cause if it wasn’t for them, there won't be rugby in Lebanon.

Submitted by: Fadi Mayassi, Date: 2005-10-10

Re: Lebanese club to tour Serbia?

Good Stuff mate!
Shame about the Med cup being scrapped this year... But the current state of Lebanon isn't one i would want to play League in and i'm sure the other competing nations felt that way as well.

Re: International RL resources (websites)

And for some stupid reason the International Rugby League Federation doesn't have a stupid Website:mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LebaneseForces said:
And for some stupid reason the International Rugby League Federation doesn't have a stupid Website:mad:

Stuck in the stone age, the whole board needs sacking and be replaced with ppl who know how to run a buisness, RL is the worst run sport in Australia.(and the world)

I disagree.

The RLIF needs support off the NRL, ESL for funding etc as it is funding that is the biggest problem. Blokes like Tas Baiteri are invaluable to the game, internationally.

ParraEelsNRL said:
I'm talking more or less about Colin Love.
More then anyhting we need support from the NRL and ESL and the clubs.
Players should be assessed by international doctors to ensure they are not being morally bound by the club to withdraw.

Tutaki said:
More then anyhting we need support from the NRL and ESL and the clubs.
Players should be assessed by international doctors to ensure they are not being morally bound by the club to withdraw.

Thats true, but the only part of RL that hasn't gone forward since the SL war is the ARL, i wish they'd give internationals half the coverage they give soo, the way it used to be, every game on a tour, our commentators going to the UK to do the games with updates every night, ahhh the old days:mad:

ParraEelsNRL said:
Thats true, but the only part of RL that hasn't gone forward since the SL war is the ARL, i wish they'd give internationals half the coverage they give soo, the way it used to be, every game on a tour, our commentators going to the UK to do the games with updates every night, ahhh the old days:mad:
I agree.

All bodies in Australia should come under one banner, the NRL.

PNG SP-Cup team hire Aussie coach

Crowds for the SP-Cup are from 3000 to 10,000 and some games are broadcast on EMTV.. The SP-Cup is the elite level provincial comp... http://www.pngnrl.com/

The SP Cup is regarded as one of the best competition in the
world although is not very well know in most Rugby League
countries. It is not only a tough league to compete in, mainly
due to the size of the players and the hot weather, but it is
probably one of the most pressurizing competitions to play in.
Huge capacity crowds turn out, week in, week out to watch the
top clubs in the SP Cup and because the crowd is so passionate
about their Rugby League, some often get carried away with
their emotions.

Looks like they are starting to bring in some money for Aussie expertise..

http://www.thenational.com.pg/1223/sports1.htm
Bombers hire Aussie

Lae franchise go south to beef up SP Cup campaign

By PHILIP DOWA
THE Lae Builders and Contractors (LBC) Bombers rugby league franchise have acquired the services of an Australian coach for their campaign next year.
Elated LBC Bombers chairman Dean Sinclair confirmed yesterday that they had recruited a Level 3 Australian coach to instill some discipline and increase the ability of the players in the SP Cup competition.
"We are looking at bringing in an Australian coach next year on fulltime to increase the ability of the players," he said.
Sinclair said the current coach Joe Katsir will be moved onto the Bombers Board, but he will be required to help the new coach settle in.
He explained that Katsir had work commitment and could not be forced into fulltime coaching.
Sinclair said they were working on the work permit for the Australian coach and will announce his name after everything was finalised.
"The new coach should be in the country by next year before the SP Cup competition begins and we hope that will assist our players," he said.
The Bombers have shown serious commitment to develop the semi-professional rugby league competition to a higher level with the Lae-based team making the final four.
On match payment, Sinclair said they would pay according to the amount set by the PNG Rugby Football League.
The Bombers board also threw in incentives for the best back and forward every week.
These were apart from the companies in Lae sponsoring individual player during their game.
Meanwhile, a Bombers supporter Otmar Wale has called on the Bombers board to be fair in the selection of the team next year.
He said the team should have the best players from Lae instead of "re-cycled players".
"The Bombers have some best talent to draw from the Lae Rugby League competition and it was in the best interest of the supporters that they scout for the best," Wale said.
He said, Pirates club, who had won three consecutive Lae grand finals, had no representatives in the Bombers squad.

Re: PNG SP-Cup team hire Aussie coach

Its good to see the increase in sponsorship and professionalism from the players and admin. It is only time before they break into the top 3 with NZ and Australia. They love the game more then anything and they produce excellent players such as Stanley Gene, Adrian Lam, Marcus Bai etc

Tutaki said:
Its good to see the increase in sponsorship and professionalism from the players and admin. It is only time before they break into the top 3 with NZ and Australia. They love the game more then anything and they produce excellent players such as Stanley Gene, Adrian Lam, Marcus Bai etc

Agree, i'd love to see PNG get a team into the NRL, they would really add something to the NRL.

Pity we can't get them a massive brand new stadium with 45,000 seats, they's fill it every week.

Need a new modern stadium for things to pick up, yet need money to do it.

Any rich Sugar daddies roaming the boards.:thumbsu:

ParraEelsNRL said:
Agree, i'd love to see PNG get a team into the NRL, they would really add something to the NRL.

Pity we can't get them a massive brand new stadium with 45,000 seats, they's fill it every week.

Need a new modern stadium for things to pick up, yet need money to do it.

Any rich Sugar daddies roaming the boards.:thumbsu:
I think it will be a long time before a PNG team is in the NRL for the following reasons:
1. They won't build a stadium if they are not guranteed a position by the NRL.
2. Sponsorships in PNG are really hard to come by due to the financial turmoil there always is in PNG
3. The NRL wouldn't risk players being injured from fanatical fans and worse which is a major possibility. The picked up Mal Meninga when he played over there and ran with him, there is also the distinct possibilty of riots to see the matches. How many times have Aussies gone over there and PNG's have lined up for days before to ensure they got in only for the matach to be sold-out to the PNG bigwigs, riots start and out comes the tear gas.

In saying that, it would be a masssive experience for everyone involved to fly to PNG once a year to play in a nation that is beyond obsessive for rugby league (did anyone hear that story on the news about the newsagent being mugged so the PNG's could ensure they got a copy of the State-of-Origin edition paper?)
Whatever size ground they built would sell-out every single week, win loose or draw. When was the last time the Kumuls won on home soil?

Papua New Guinea - Year in review

RL is just getting bigger and bigger in PNG.... great to see it has massive levels of popularity in the schools.... and the increase in corporate support is fantastic.

Great to see they can travel to various parts of the world and compete in tournaments... it's great to follow a sport that allows that..

http://www.postcourier.com.pg/20051230/frhome.htm

League moves

RUGBY LEAGUE, the code followed like cult in the country, reached new heights and our home-grown talents stamped high profile authority among the world’s very best in the year 2006. The year 2006 dawn on us with blessings when Lae businessman Sir Bob Sinclair was elected chairman of PNG Rugby Football League, and under him business houses flocked in with franchise sponsorships and elevated the code’s SP Intercity Cup tournament to reach the highest, drawing mothers and children back to the rugby league fields across the country. Another historical achievement of the code was when our overseas based Kumuls defeated the junior Australian Kangaroos 24-16 in October. All in all, most outstanding of it all was the performance of the PNG Under-16 Schoolboys team to finished third in the World Youth Cup tournament in Moscow, Russia in September. Critics following the development of the code have predicted that if PNG is going to win a World Cup, it is going to be through the schoolboys level. Founder and patron of the schoolboy’s competition Ifisoe Segiaro has admitted: “I did not know that I was creating a monster”, referring to the interest now generating among schoolboys nationwide to play rugby league. The determination of our boys at their inaugural appearance in Europe against their bigger opposition not only surprised many but aso brought tears of pride to the team officials who witnessed their heroic performance. The homegrown, fast, free-flowing style of play made it hard for opposing teams to read their games and the crowd just loved our little generals. Finishing second in Pool A, they played Australia who finished first in Pool B in the grandfinal decider and 15 minutes into play Lae Secondary Schoolboy Kingston Pisep tucked the ball under his arm and sprinted 60 metres to score and convert to pin PNG on the board 6-0 over Australia. PNG ran riot but excitement on how easy they were finding the match took control and three easy what could have been tries were dropped on the try line before Australia made the come back and won the match 52-28. PNG then defeated Russia-One 28-6 in front of their vocal home crowd to finish third overall but shed tears reminiscing what could have been an unforgettable moment in history to win the world cup which just slipped through.

Remove this Banner Ad

International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back