International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It has worked well, but I wouldn't say it was 'huge'. Things like that don't happen overnight. There's still only a couple of hundred playing the game in Lebanon.

Originally posted by Richoagain
It has worked well, but I wouldn't say it was 'huge'. Things like that don't happen overnight. There's still only a couple of hundred playing the game in Lebanon.

It's the official sport of the military too I might add.

How awesome would an Israel v Lebanon series be?:D

Don't see why it wouldn't, though. The Greek crew are pretty serious about it.

I reckon if you've got a large expat population already playing it, this would be the way to start something back home.

Misinformed

There will be Italians and Greeks on both sides

Check the NRL site for more ACCURATE info

Cheers,
Moffo

I couldnt fiond it on nrl.com.au but had a look at LeagueUnllimited. They don't mention any native Greeks or Italians, but as I said in my original post, I knew it would be full of players of descent as Richo pointed out.

Which brings me to my next point. Credit where credit is due for the people who are working there butts off trying to get the game going where there it hasn't been before.

But should they get serious and have a rule similiar to Union where players can't represent another a country for 3 years after representing another. You couldn't make them be resident for 3 years as well, but doesn't it de-value the whole expansion process where players like El Masri can represent both Lebanon and Australia.

I know there isn't enough players in the native country to make a decent side, but to me, it makes a mockery of the whole concept if one week they can play for Oz and the next for Lebanon.

Here are the sides

Greece

1 Stuart Philpot
2 Evan Savva
3 George Kouparitsas
4 Manuel Manolis
5 Adam Fletcher
6 Steve Georgallis (c)
7 Dean Antony
8 Justin Tsoulos
9 Thomas Giatsios
10 John Skandalis
11 Nick Kouparitsas
12 Michael Parzakonis
13 Mitchell Karabatos

14 George Siambis
15 Nick Nikitaris
16 Michael Giorgas
17 Jim Pizanias
18 Arthur Siambis
19 York Antoniou
20 Michael Tsougranis

Coach: Steve Georgallis

Italy

1 Daniel Albertiri
2 Anthony Barone
3 Christian Orsini
4 Shane Rigon
5 Ross Ciavarella
6 Jamie Russo
7 Grant Rovelli
8 Anthony Laffranchi (c)
9 Paul Dezolt
10 Anthony Pennisi
11 Andrew Kaleopa
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Greg Florimo

14 Michael Salafia
15 Aaron Lewis
16 Steve Carlon
17 Tony Phillips
18 Michael Barone
19 Nick Calandra
20 Dominic Mazzoleni

Coach: David Riolo

Calling it an 'international' is going a bit far, but as a development tool it's worth it.

I cannot comment on the Greece squad but the Italian squad can all speak fluent Italian and the majority of the squad was born there. About 12 out of the squad of 20 have also played rugby league in Italy. How do I know? I was on the train-on squad but lost my position to an ageing Greg Florimo, which I think is un fair. I would also consider you try to get to the game and tell me that the Italians are not passionate about their country, to them Australia is there residence, Italy is the home of their heart.
Also, it is a shame but Adam Capovilla and brother Brad have missed out on selection as they have commitments with their clubs teams, Wentworthville in the Grand Final Qualifier. I will be at the game on Saturday and I will give you all a match review.

It is also being broadcast on Greek radio and they are negotiating for the game to be on Italian TV thanks to the negotiating skills by Italia manager, Micheal Pezzano.

Originally posted by Tutaki
I cannot comment on the Greece squad but the Italian squad can all speak fluent Italian and the majority of the squad was born there. About 12 out of the squad of 20 have also played rugby league in Italy. How do I know? I was on the train-on squad but lost my position to an ageing Greg Florimo, which I think is un fair. I would also consider you try to get to the game and tell me that the Italians are not passionate about their country, to them Australia is there residence, Italy is the home of their heart.
Also, it is a shame but Adam Capovilla and brother Brad have missed out on selection as they have commitments with their clubs teams, Wentworthville in the Grand Final Qualifier. I will be at the game on Saturday and I will give you all a match review.

It is also being broadcast on Greek radio and they are negotiating for the game to be on Italian TV thanks to the negotiating skills by Italia manager, Micheal Pezzano.

I cant wait for the game... Ill be there in my Bulldogs jersey then after the game head straight to the Bulldogs V Roosters game. Please keep knocking the game... That what everyone was doing to the Lebanese Cedars... Now look where they are, in a short period of time... The comp is going to expand really soon and the Mediterranean cup is going to be played in Lebanon in October, with the final scheduled to be played at the Camille Chamoun International Stadium in Beirut (capacity over 50,000).

Get Out To Oki Jubilee Oval and support International Rugby League.

Funny story I should tell you all.

Back in 98 or 99 Balmain hosted a Lebanon V Italy Match before the 1st grade game.

I am a balmain fan and when I arrived I was amazed by the amount of lebanase flags of which were mostly bulldog fans and a fair few Italian flags out there as Balmain has a huge population of Italians.

Anyway after the game had been won by Lebanon and the 1st grade match about to start. About 5000 at least of lebanese fans left the ground before the main matCH!

yep it is being televised by channel31

seen it on several websites but it doesnt say if it will be shown live however which i doubt

But it is being covered by 2 greek radio stations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moroccan Med Cup squad

Morocco: Salim Sabri (Carcassonne); Ali Fakir (Bias); Foued Boudali (Lyon Villeurbanne); Anass Chlouk (Lyon Villeurbanne); Rachid Abdessamad (FC Lézignan); Tarek Bliel (Villeneuve); Tarek El Boutchi (Palau); Houssine El Boutchi (Palau); Nordine Tahri (Palau); Baghdad Tahri (Palau); Yacine Khattabi (Entraigues); Younes Khattabi (Entraigues); Mohamed Esselma (Cahors); Abdel Zirar (Cahors); Abdel Oulias (Pamiers); Ahmed Boualem (Réalmont); Rachid Faresse (Carpentras); Ichem Oumansouri (St Gaudens); Moustaffa Mahfoudi (FC Lézignan).

Coach: Emmanuel Fauvel.
Assistant coach: Patrick Gorinat.

International League Coverage By 9

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ArticleID=7369

Well Done Channel 9!!!!
NZ game Live
And ALL Games Against GB LIVE...

I would of loved too of watched the France, Wales and England a games but i wont complain atleast the main games are going to get shown live!

Will the other games be shown on FOX?

Well Done Channel 9!

According to another site the Aust NZ game will not be shown in Melbourne at all by channel nein. The only way vics can watch is on Fox sports @ 9.30pm.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :

The games from Englans would be on around 5.00am in the morning I would think

Originally posted by STORM007
According to another site the Aust NZ game will not be shown in Melbourne at all by channel nein. The only way vics can watch is on Fox sports @ 9.30pm.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :

The games from Englans would be on around 5.00am in the morning I would think

This is why the law must be changed to allow Foxtel to show the game live when Ch 9 have no coverage of it.

International Rugby League News

New Zealand 'A' team to play Cumbria in first match of the Northern Hemisphere Tour.
1/ Lusi Sione
2/ Nigel Taumou
3/ Vila Apu'ula
4/ Hale Va'asa
5/ Ricky Henry
6/ Gavin Bailey
7/ Steve Buckingham
8/ George Tuakura
9/ Shane Beyers (Captain)
10/ Sinave Faitala
11/ Jesse Royal
12/ Tyrone Pau
13/ Karl Edmondson

14/ Aoterangi Herangi
15/ Wayne McDade
16/ Jonny Limmer
17/ Taylor Pelenise

18th man/ Lance Poka

Coach: Gerard Stokes

France Vs New Zealand Maori
The French Chanticleers have opened their 2003 International campaign with a 28 – 16 victory over the visiting New Zealand Maori in Carcassonne. The French, who featured a similar side which will take part in the 2003 Mediterranean Cup in Lebanon, before then running for the chance to become European Champions in November, gelled together well and looked in control for the majority of the match.

FRANCE 28
Tries: Cédric Gay 2, Djamel Fakir 2, Sylvain Houles
Goals: Laurent Frayssinous 4 from 5
Team: Frédéric Banquet, Dimitri Pelo, Sylvain Houles, Jérôme Hermet, Teddy Sadaoui, Laurent Frayssinous, Julien Rinaldi, Olivier Pramil, Cédric Gay, Rachid Hechiche, Pascal Jampy ©, Djamel Fakir, Daniel Dumas; Subs: Julien Gerin, Laurent Carrasco, Olivier Elima, Artie Shead
defeated NEW ZEALAND MAORI 16
Tries: Edward Heihei, Jérémy Smith, William Puohotaua
Goals: Joe Flawell 2 from 3
Team: Rueben Enoka, Phillip Borrell, William Puohotaua, Edward Heihei, Joe Flawell, Jérémy Smith, Aaron Aspin Hermia, Phillip Shead, Herewin Rangi, Haemish Reid, Wanne Barnett, Kurt Cawdron, Richard White; Subs: Wharton, Panatangi, Rota, Gemmell
Venue: Carcassonne Date: Wed Oct 15 7:30pm
Referee: A. Boulagnon
Half time: France 22 - 10

England 'A' Vs Australian Kangaroos at London, UK

Tomorrow (Saturday) 20-year-old Sean O'Loughlin will be fully focussed on helping his club Wigan Warriors beat Bradford Bulls in the Tetley's Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford but, from the moment, the final whistle sounds he will be looking forward to Monday afternoon.

That's when the England 'A' team to play Australia at Griffin Park, Brentford as part of the Think! Road Safety tour on Tuesday, October 28 will be named and he is really hoping for a slot in the match squad that will be named by coach John Kear at 2.00pm on Monday.

"When I was given the chance to face the full New Zealand Test squad atGriffin Park last year it was a fantastic experience," said stand off O'Loughlin.

"And to be given the same chance against the world champions Australia would be incredible. You might never get another chance to do that again and if you have ambitions to reach the full Great Britain team as I have then you really have to play."

O'Loughlin has already played for England 'A' on tour in South Africa and against the Kiwis. He was an Academy international too.

Now he has his eyes on playing for Great Britain and a big match against the Kangaroos when the world champions hit the capital on Tuesday, October 28 (Kick off 8.00pm) would certainly aid his cause.

"Maybe it's a bit ambitious to think of a full Test cap this year," he said, "but the experience won't do my career any harm."

O'Loughlin has emerged as one of the new young stars at the JJB Stadium and he has proved himself more than capable of mixing it with the best in the Tetley's Super League.

Now he's looking to make his mark on the world champions as the Broncos seek the biggest ever Rugby League crowd at Griffin Park.

Remove this Banner Ad

International International Rugby League Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back