Interstate teams and the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you open her up for 600 North supporters?

Looking at the above, as a Collingwood supporter you have to be hoping WCE/Ade/Syd finish top 4 (along with Pies).

A subject near and dear to my heart...! If I'd known that the 1991 season would be the last fling of the great era, I still would have kept it as a great memory of a team that took control of the season when it mattered, safe in the knowledge that despite WC's supremacy for the first 5 months of the season, the Hawks chipped away after a horrific loss at home to the Eagles, did some serious reconnaissance when they lost narrowly late in the season at Subiaco, and comprehensively outplayed the home team again a few weeks later when it counted in what was a massive upset to everyone except the Hawks...who had won something like 12 out of 13 at this point...they were favourites on GF day, and would have won at either stadium...very satisfying win because they had to seriously work their arses off in 1991 to stay at the top...WC worthy, but we all knew they were never going to get us again after that home semi...

Funny view of history. You beat us in the qualifying final and just scraped home in the semi by 2 points against Geelong.

After our loss at Subi we had 3 road trips in a row, all to bloody Waverley, the shithole that it was.

We were only 10 points behind at 3/4 and ran out of legs in the end (not surprising).

Was the one that got away. We finished the season 3 games clear and with a % of 162. Didn't concede 100 points in a game for the entire H&A seasons.

Kicked you out of the finals next year so was all good.

Funny view of history. You beat us in the qualifying final and just scraped home in the semi by 2 points against Geelong.

After our loss at Subi we had 3 road trips in a row, all to bloody Waverley, the shithole that it was.

We were only 10 points behind at 3/4 and ran out of legs in the end (not surprising).

Was the one that got away. We finished the season 3 games clear and with a % of 162. Didn't concede 100 points in a game for the entire H&A seasons.

Kicked you out of the finals next year so was all good.

Not denying for a second that WC were a better team than Hawthorn for the first 5 months that season, but the better team won on the day...we'll keep 2008 while we're at it too...

The unfairness that WC copped in 1990 and 1991 was something that hadn't been thought through until it actually happened...having said that, you can complain all you like about 3 road trips to end the season, but they were outplayed in their home final in the first place, by a team who in that month were better than they were...2 points to Geelong? WC would have lost in 1994 in the first week if Mick McGuane hung onto a not so difficult mark that John Worsfold took great delight in labouring the point on after the game was dead and buried, so what's your point? WC also lost to Fitzroy...doesn't diminish their standing that season as 1991's best team going into September...

Nothing funny about the view, mate. I was watching the whole season as an adult footy fan, and the win was especially satisfying because it was a grind against better teams for much of the season, but when it counted the old champs beat the best for the big prize...if you can't handle that, then that's your problem...

WC went too hard early in the season and Hawthorn came good at the right time. WC were clearly the better team for H&A seasons though. The defensive unit was one the best ever seen.

thats all well and good but reality was going into GF week 1991, nobody gave West Caost a chance to win and thats how the game played out. West Coast were plucky but were well beaten in the end.

Their whack came in the first week final loss to hawks which suggested that perhaps they weren't the brilliant side sympathisers suggested or had reached end of tether.

That hawks beat them 2 times in Sept suggest hawks were the superior team. You'd be hard presed arguing otherwise.

thats all well and good but reality was going into GF week 1991, nobody gave West Caost a chance to win and thats how the game played out. West Coast were plucky but were well beaten in the end.

Their whack came in the first week final loss to hawks which suggested that perhaps they weren't the brilliant side sympathisers suggested or had reached end of tether.

That hawks beat them 2 times in Sept suggest hawks were the superior team. You'd be hard presed arguing otherwise.

Superior team in the finals they were. Eagles went too hard early (as I said). We paced ourselves much better in 92.

The fact is wasn't that no one gave us a chance to win it's that no one wanted to even imagine a dirty interstater winning the VFL premiership. And don't give me that crap that they was no animosity, it was huge back then.

Look at the face of the presenter when he gave Matera his Norm Smith in 1992, looked like he wish he could be anywhere else but there.

And of the day the pain of 91 made 92 so much sweeter. It was the day we had a true national league.

The animosity wasn't that big. It's not like WA didn't share in the responsibility - you only have to listen to the club song. If you got all your opinions from a trash newspaper like the West Australian, and tuned into regular rants from the likes of John Elliott and Allan McAllister, then yeah sure, everyone has it in for WA...truth is noone really cared...a team not from Victoria winning the GF was inevitable, and once that monkey was off everyone's backs (not a gorilla), it was just whatever new political issue and trend resistant opinion reared its head at the time...once that MCG finals deal was fixed up, there hasn't been much to complain about since...

I'm a Tasmanian by the way...I hate all mainlanders equally, irrespective of race, colour, creed or specific geographical location...

1991 could still have turned out very differently if Geelong hadn't pissed that semi against the Hawks away. I've seen the replay of that game a couple of times, the Cats absolutely had them on toast in the second half but just couldn't buy a goal. If Geelong had got through to the Grand Final and the Hawks and Eagles had been left to play the Preliminary Final, I'd say the chances are we would today be talking about the Cats' 1991 flag.

A subject near and dear to my heart...! If I'd known that the 1991 season would be the last fling of the great era, I still would have kept it as a great memory of a team that took control of the season when it mattered, safe in the knowledge that despite WC's supremacy for the first 5 months of the season, the Hawks chipped away after a horrific loss at home to the Eagles, did some serious reconnaissance when they lost narrowly late in the season at Subiaco, and comprehensively outplayed the home team again a few weeks later when it counted in what was a massive upset to everyone except the Hawks...who had won something like 12 out of 13 at this point...they were favourites on GF day, and would have won at either stadium...very satisfying win because they had to seriously work their arses off in 1991 to stay at the top...WC worthy, but we all knew they were never going to get us again after that home semi...

Nice Victorian spin.

Fact is WC had to play 3 finals in a row in Melb, including the GF at hawthorns home ground. Talk about a 'system' that heavily favoured Vic teams even though the Eagles finished 3-4 games on top of the ladder.

If you reverse them conditions the Eagles would of won the GF by about 25 goals at Subi:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With West Coast, Sydney and Adelaide all likely to be premiership contenders in September, it is important that they know how to win on the MCG, as it is for any team wanting to win a flag. However, looking at the recent records of the interstate teams at the MCG is grim reading overall.

Adelaide - 6 losses in a row
Brisbane - 2 wins in the last 10 games
Fremantle - 1 win in the last 12 games
Port Adelaide - 4 losses in a row
Sydney - 1 win in the last 15 games
West Coast - 1 win in the last 10 games

What are people's thoughts on this?

C'mon. We lose everywhere.

Nice Victorian spin.

Fact is WC had to play 3 finals in a row in Melb,
Stop the whinging.
Didn't stop Adelaide going "From Perth, to Melbourne, to Sydney, to Melbourne, to Melbourne" to win the '98 flag.

Stop the whinging.
Didn't stop Adelaide going "From Perth, to Melbourne, to Sydney, to Melbourne, to Melbourne" to win the '98 flag.

Darren Jarman was obviously on the wrong side for the Weagles in 91 :p

Nice Victorian spin.

Fact is WC had to play 3 finals in a row in Melb, including the GF at hawthorns home ground. Talk about a 'system' that heavily favoured Vic teams even though the Eagles finished 3-4 games on top of the ladder.

If you reverse them conditions the Eagles would of won the GF by about 25 goals at Subi:rolleyes:
Why didn't they win the QF then...? I'm betting you didn't watch this season - the Eagles didn't have the answers for the Hawks in September 1991, simple as that. They were the best side all year, but ask Geelong supporters how that works, and what they've done about it since. Hawthorn won that game, got the weeks's rest, and as typically happens, the side with the week's rest in the finals won the GF. Would have been a tougher ask if the GF was at Subi as you suggest, but a) the Hawks were probably good enough to do it, and b) they don't play the GF at Subi anyway - what, you think they would (or should!)...?

It amuses me no end that West Australians think they are so important that every other state makes it their life's mission to undermine them at every opportunity...It's not a Victorian point of view - I'm a Tasmanian...you guys have got to stop reading your stupid newspaper...

Ha! Pwned Western Australian.

I never had much of an opinion about Western Australians until I started reading bigfooty... all that time spent in the mines digging up financial security for your overlords in the eastern states must be getting to you.

Why didn't they win the QF then...? I'm betting you didn't watch this season - the Eagles didn't have the answers for the Hawks in September 1991, simple as that. They were the best side all year, but ask Geelong supporters how that works, and what they've done about it since. Hawthorn won that game, got the weeks's rest, and as typically happens, the side with the week's rest in the finals won the GF. Would have been a tougher ask if the GF was at Subi as you suggest, but a) the Hawks were probably good enough to do it, and b) they don't play the GF at Subi anyway - what, you think they would (or should!)...?

It amuses me no end that West Australians think they are so important that every other state makes it their life's mission to undermine them at every opportunity...It's not a Victorian point of view - I'm a Tasmanian...you guys have got to stop reading your stupid newspaper...

Yep just like Geelong we made up for it the next year. Then again in 94.

You guys spent 17 years in the wilderness. Better hope history does not repeat.

Yep just like Geelong we made up for it the next year. Then again in 94.

You guys spent 17 years in the wilderness. Better hope history does not repeat.
If it does it does, and if it doesn't it doesn't...but if we do suck from now on, I'm pretty sure I won't be calling it an insidious West Australian plot...

If Collingwood or Hawthorn play an interstate side at the MCG in the GF it will be a massive advantage.

Agreed. It will also be a massive advantage if Sydney, West Coast or Adelaide play a PF at their respective home grounds.

If both PF games this year are played away from the MCG, then the advantage to a Victorian side of the GF being played at the MCG may well not come into play at all.

WC, Sydney and Port are the only interstate teams in the history of the AFL to lose a GF against a Victorian team...and in none of those were they the favourite anyway...meanwhile, on 8 occasions, it's been the other way around...and in 3 or 4 of those, the interstaters were the outsiders and still won...

PF's have only been lost by the home side after a weeks's rest on about 8 occasions, from 36 matchups since 1994...and 3 of those teams went on to win the GF...

The point - you'll win it if you're good enough...don't grizzle if you don't.

Agreed. It will also be a massive advantage if Sydney, West Coast or Adelaide play a PF at their respective home grounds.

If both PF games this year are played away from the MCG, then the advantage to a Victorian side of the GF being played at the MCG may well not come into play at all.
I doubt both PF's will be out of Melbourne mate

Remove this Banner Ad

Interstate teams and the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back