Discussion Intra-Club Game (Friday 10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Intra-Club Game - Friday 10 Feb at 9.30am

My observations were:
Saints have improved their speed with,Markworth,Cripps,Ledger
Etc.
Ledger was very good. His stoppage work, quick hands, step out of traffic was all class. Him and Jack combined well. Early tip for a NAB rising star, is Tom. Newes very good. One bad mistake but everything else was composed. Ross good clean hands was steady. Siposs kicked a beautiful goal. Crocker lively. Cripps just behind Ledger for one of the best.
Didn't worry too much about the senior players.

Adam Schneider was just rested. (official word from club)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eady-for-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1226267774204

A fit-looking Hayes got through the Saints' hit-out unscathed, playing the first three quarters before being rested from the action and sent to run laps of the boundary.

Watters "I have probably been watching that for the last six or seven weeks really. He is having a really good pre-season,''

"We have just got to be careful ... he is very keen to play as you could imagine, so we've just got to hold him back a little bit."

The only concern for the Saints was a heavy knock to Nicholas Winmar in the second quarter, which Watters said could be mild concussion.

"We don't think it was a facial injury, we're almost certain of that. Dazed, maybe mild concussion, but in 24 hours we'll have an answer,''

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8417276

Horsham Demons teenager Seb Ross was handed the big task of tagging dual All-Australian Brendon Goddard in midfield.

"He kicked a good goal at the end, Seb. I thought Seb was really solid," Watters said.

"He's a really mature young kid. He has already probably got a body that can handle AFL football.

"He's really composed in a contest. He did his selection chances no harm at all today."

Watters said he was impressed with mature-aged recruits Ahmed Saad, 22, and Terry Milera, 24.

"Both of them were good. Beau Wilkes was really solid down back," Watters said.

The 194cm Wilkes can play at either end but, at this stage, he's being aimed for the backline, Watters says.

Ooh, how chuffed would Seb be? Watters quietly implied he beat Beeg in the game today. All roads seem to be leading to him playing Round 1.

On an overcast day about 400 Saints fans strolled down to Linen House Centre to watch the clubs first competitive hit out since last years disappointing finals loss to Sydney. It was a bit of a scrappy affair with few turnovers early on, before all the players started to find their groove in second half. Overall can’t say they were more attacking, but they did look to play on at every opportunity and hardly kicked backwards!

Missing from action was Adam Schneider (club said was rested), Raph Clarke (calf), Jay Lever (calf), Jimmy Webster (looked like him in rehab group anyway) and also James Gwilt who is still recovering from his knee injury last season. He trained after the match, running laps and doing some sidestep drills. Looked to be the most freely ive seen him this preseason and wasn’t a visible limp this time.

All the players were split up into two teams, not the usual possibles vs probables; it was an even spread of senior players amongst all the kids. Teams looked a bit like:

Dark: Lenny, Riewoldt, Fisher, Stanley, Wilkes, Saad, Peake, Blake, Jones, Montagna, Winmar, Blake

White: McEvoy, Milne, Cripps, Markworth, Geary, Simpkin, Goddard, Archer, Polo, Milera, Curren, Steven, Siposs, Gilbert, Kosi

Few surprises at the opening bounce with Jason Blake taking the ruck duties for dark team, up against Ben McEvoy. Throughout first half it looked like Blake was playing the “Leigh Brown” role in ruck & defence. Sam Gilbert was manned up on Nick Riewoldt early on in game. Roo played out of true CHF for most of the half he played. Rhys Stanley started in goal square and spent majority of the match there. He floated up the ground every now and then to take the ruck duties around the ground. Tom Simpkin spent fair amount of the time taking Stanley and would have come out on top with Rhys having little affect on the game.

Up the other end of the ground Beau Wilkes was the main full back, manning up on Justin Koschitzke and whilst not 100% convincing he kept Kosi relatively quiet. Sam Fisher was Sam Fisher, just started from where he began last season. Is Mr Reliable. Was best of the senior player.

In the midfield first round draftee Sebastian Ross was given the big task of running with Brendon Goddard, and wasn’t overawed by the experience. Goddard had little affect on overall game, whilst Ross got fair bit of ball and kicked a very nice goal in final quarter. He was possibly the pick of the kids and received praise from Coach Scott Watters after the match.
You can read entire report here - http://tsjournal.net/2012/02/10/st-kilda-2012-intra-club-report/

From the vids (thanks squiz) Ross looked really comfy in and under, very good signs for a kid. Not sure what it looked like there but the pace and ball movement looked fast and smooth under pressure. I liked what I saw. Especially seeing Steven burning the ground, he looked super quick in the vids and Ledger looks like he's improved again, I pinned this kid early, he's gona be a star player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I clearly said i wasn't going to go through all senior guys but happy to report on someone if people ask!

He played & did a few nice things without really standing out.

I went and had a look because live not too far away and was keen to see how Sam Dunnell went, didnt know who a lot of the new ones were. The wind blowing straight across the ground meant the skill level wasnt great but Lenny Hayes looked a million bucks is now safely in my SC side :D. A couple of times he just he picked the ball up waltzed through players like they were in slow motion, hasn't lost anything. Looked to me like Roo was playing on the wing for a while when his side was kicking up the hill. Wilkes didnt impress me, looks like he struggles with body on body stuff and his intensity at the contest is poor, Simpkin was a lot better.

I went and had a look because live not too far away and was keen to see how Sam Dunnell went, didnt know who a lot of the new ones were. The wind blowing straight across the ground meant the skill level wasnt great but Lenny Hayes looked a million bucks is now safely in my SC side :D. A couple of times he just he picked the ball up waltzed through players like they were in slow motion, hasn't lost anything. Looked to me like Roo was playing on the wing for a while when his side was kicking up the hill. Wilkes didnt impress me, looks like he struggles with body on body stuff and his intensity at the contest is poor, Simpkin was a lot better.

Who are we meant to believe mate you or the coach,because Watters was impressed with Wilkes' hit out?

Who are we meant to believe mate you or the coach,because Watters was impressed with Wilkes' hit out?

I wasnt that impressed with his hit out either, as were many Saints fans. Just dont understand why we drafted a bloke that kicked 43 goals in last 10 games of WAFL and then play him down back? We need goal kickers just as much as key defender.

Just dont understand why we drafted a bloke that kicked 43 goals in last 10 games of WAFL and then play him down back? We need goal kickers just as much as key defender.

Don't we need a bigger bodied defender to replace the 195cm Zac?

Aren't we going to try Stanley, Archer and Siposs as forwards along with Riewoldt and Koschitzke?

i agree on the wilkes front. wce and claremont tried him down back and he struggled. claremont moved him to the forward line and he blossomed. watters will play him down back but it will be a stop gap solution. they want simpkin there. they want wilkes playing off of the HF line and dropping back to FF when required.

i agree on the wilkes front. wce and claremont tried him down back and he struggled. claremont moved him to the forward line and he blossomed. watters will play him down back but it will be a stop gap solution. they want simpkin there. they want wilkes playing off of the HF line and dropping back to FF when required.
Hawthorn and Box Hill said the same thing about Dawson who for better or worse held down full back at this club for a few years.

Wikes may have shown more as a forward, but given we have an open slot in the backline and Simpkin is still quite unproven, Wilkes should be given a proper try-out as competition/a back-up.

on a side note. the freo intra club match report on the freo board is a good read. looks like dawson struggled. i will be going to their nab cup match next week so i'll keep a good eye on him to see how he goes. my gut feel is he'll have a shocker this year.

Oh, some absolute GOLD there Defacto. Find it all here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909771

But here are some of the highlights.

Dawson just out chest marked by wafl player

Lolza Dawson is having a howler

Dawson - haha, terrible, owned mutiple times by a WAFL player

And to somebody who said, "Thank goodness we got him for nothing":

$300grand for 3 years is nothing now is it? I think he'll be ok value this year, we definitely overpaid though.

Keplar couldn't hold a mark and Zac Dawson was terrible.

Dawson was sh^t, fumbled the ball and lost more contests than he won. I still hold the faith however.

So did we, mate, so did we...

And it goes on...

Faulks - took a few very good marks in defense, but his kicking let him down on a few occasions. Seems unlikely to me that we'll ever be playing him and Dawson in the same team as neither have much confidence in their kicking.

Dawson - was actually pretty average tonight. Tom Lee made him look like an average WAFL player on a few occasions. Will improve after the nerves settle a bit, and he's settled into understanding his role and the guys around him in defense. Probably used to a very structured/help-out type defense at the Saints. Won't get as much of that here.

And my favorite:

Dawson - A stand out but not in a good way. Dropped marks. Didn't spoil shit. Offered zero deffensive pressure. It's like he's been watching "The Secret" and is relying on positive thinking to ensure the ball doesn't come down his way. I'd rather have Grover as the third tall any day of the week. Even if he has done a hammy.

Game plan - It's hard to judge from a praccie - but it looked like Ballas isn't the only player being re-invented as a midfielder. The super flood had all players from both teams playing on-ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Intra-Club Game (Friday 10 Feb)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back