Game Day Intraclub match!!! Details in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

The work of Pendles, De Goey, Adams, Aish, Sidebottom and even Macaffer in the midfield made me bullish on our midfield strength this year. And then I remembered Teloar, Crisp and Swan. Plus we have an embarrassment of quality talls including key position and ruck.

If we can get a clean run with injuries this year there is no reason we can't seriously push up the ladder this year.

I know a lot of people will berate me for this but of all the established players we have Cloke is the one guy that I couldn't give two phucks if we traded or he decided to leave.
I understand all the arguments that suggest he is a massive plus for the side, all the arguments about structure etc, BUT, I disagree. I think he is massively overrated and have thought so for a long time.
I would be very happy for the club to trade him while he still has trade value.

Ok, attack me now bitches. I'm up for it.

Too late now methinks.

We needed to trade him before the current contract was signed. Back then? A GWS/Gold Coast/Brisbane/Freo would have given us the WORLD for Cloke. Now? I doubt we'd get as much as people think. He's about to hit 30, everyone knows his kicking will never get any straighter, his contested marking si nowhere near what it was and now niggling injuries are juuuuuust starting to creep in.

You see Scodog10 this is where I disagree. I don't think he is that important and I disagree that it is a no brainer. It is an opinion. and a valid opinion but it is not an opinion which is beyond debate.
I understand what people say about his value being more than just his goal kicking and that he plays a massive role structurally to the team. But I just think that his inability to convert easy shots severally compromises this so called value and when we add in the fact of how much we are paying him then I just think he is overrated.
It is not a "no brainer". We are paying a huge amount of money for a guy who can mark but can't kick goals. Saying it is a no brainer is assuming that this is something which is beyond debate. Whereas it is clearly something which is debatable.
I would add a couple of things. Big good KPFs are rare, we have only had a handful in the last 50 yrs. They almost always co incide with the team doing well, they add structure and lessen the load on those around them. Clokes best seasons have been massive, he hopefully has another at least left. Lose him and massive pressure goes onto Darcy too early, his time for pressure will come

As to trading him it is not an option. He has 2 years left on a big contract. If we tried to offload him you can be sure it will involve us taking on a significant part of his salary and at 29yo we wont get a big bounty for him. Fire sales for an older, wage expensive KPF would rarely end in the favour of the seller. His worth has diminished since the contract was signed but he is still valuable. Also need to think of the effect of off loading a popular , very good player on the playing group. You lose a bit of loyalty and engender a bit of self preservation in the group with this sort of stuff.

Wow Dynamics. As a person who is a technological moron I have no idea what you just sad. But I think it was a positive comment so :thumbsu: :D
Translation:

We just had NBN optic fibre directly to the home installed and our internet service provider is quoting up to 100mbps, which is like, really fast. Fast enough for me.

Still in the process of getting that set up but in the meantime my wife has unlimited 4G data for a couple of months with Vodafone. I used her phone to create a wireless network, connected my phone to it, and it was seamless and looked great on my ol' S4.

Things are improving slowly.

In relation to Cloke, I think he'll have a good year. With Darcy looking like a genuine quality target already, teams will have to show him a bit of respect or he'll likely tear them apart. That should hopefully take some pressure off Cloke and make teams re-think their strategy of triple teaming him. At least I hope thats what happens.

You see Scodog10 this is where I disagree. I don't think he is that important and I disagree that it is a no brainer. It is an opinion. and a valid opinion but it is not an opinion which is beyond debate.
I understand what people say about his value being more than just his goal kicking and that he plays a massive role structurally to the team. But I just think that his inability to convert easy shots severally compromises this so called value and when we add in the fact of how much we are paying him then I just think he is overrated.
It is not a "no brainer". We are paying a huge amount of money for a guy who can mark but can't kick goals. Saying it is a no brainer is assuming that this is something which is beyond debate. Whereas it is clearly something which is debatable.

So your whole sentiment is based around his conversion, yes?

What about the chances he creates for others when he pushes up the ground creating space in behind? The amount of one on ones he wins or halves I50 to bring others into the game? The pressure he will relieve from Moore by taking the best defender? The teaching he'll provide Moore on not only where to run, but when?..

So yes if we're basing the discussion purely on his conversion it is hard to justify his worth, but if as you stated you understand his structural value you would surely understand that his structural presence is vital for our success between 2015-2017...

I'll put it this way. If my partner couldn't cook for shit is that justification enough to seperate? Especially if I love my food. I would say no because there are other really important things she would bring to the relationship so you just accept the flaws and focus on the positives.

So your whole sentiment is based around his conversion, yes?

What about the chances he creates for others when he pushes up the ground creating space in behind? The amount of one on ones he wins or halves I50 to bring others into the game? The pressure he will relieve from Moore by taking the best defender? The teaching he'll provide Moore on not only where to run, but when?..

So yes if we're basing the discussion purely on his conversion it is hard to justify his worth, but if as you stated you understand his structural value you would surely understand that his structural presence is vital for our success between 2015-2017...

I'll put it this way. If my partner couldn't cook for shit is that justification enough to seperate? Especially if I love my food. I would say no because there are other really important things she would bring to the relationship so you just accept the flaws and focus on the positives.
What I am saying is I understand the "structure" argument. And I respect that viewpoint. But I don't agree with it.
Yes, he is important to our structure. But I do not think he is anywhere as important or valuable as some people think. And when you factor in what we are paying for him it is an absolute rip off.
He is not even in the top 30 forwards of the comp. His performance is downright average. I have said it many times. I am in awe of his contested marking abilities but if you can't convert then it is pointless.
He is overrated. He doesn't "step up" and win games off his own boot when we need something special and he misses the easiest of easy goals. We saw it again yesterday. An intraclub match. No pressure. No consequences. And he kicked ..............what was it 2 goals 4 or 2 goals 5.
Sure, keep him in the side. But not for anywhere near the money he is getting. That sort of money is for game changers. Not for guys who are ranked around 30th in the comp amongst forwards.
He is one of the highest players in the comp but doesn't even rank in the top 200 players. That's right not even amongst the top 200. I am not talking top 10 or top 50. He is not even in the top 200 As supporters we need to call a spade a spade and realize he is the most overrated player in the comp. We are paying a massive amount of money for a guy who can mark a ball but can't do much else

What I am saying is I understand the "structure" argument. And I respect that viewpoint. But I don't agree with it.
Yes, he is important to our structure. But I do not think he is anywhere as important or valuable as some people think. And when you factor in what we are paying for him it is an absolute rip off.
He is not even in the top 30 forwards of the comp. His performance is downright average. I have said it many times. I am in awe of his contested marking abilities but if you can't convert then it is pointless.
He is overrated. He doesn't "step up" and win games off his own boot when we need something special and he misses the easiest of easy goals. We saw it again yesterday. An intraclub match. No pressure. No consequences. And he kicked ..............what was it 2 goals 4 or 2 goals 5.
Sure, keep him in the side. But not for anywhere near the money he is getting. That sort of money is for game changers. Not for guys who are ranked around 30th in the comp amongst forwards.
He is one of the highest players in the comp but doesn't even rank in the top 200 players. That's right not even amongst the top 200. I am not talking top 10 or top 50. He is not even in the top 200 As supporters we need to call a spade a spade and realize he is the most overrated player in the comp. We are paying a massive amount of money for a guy who can mark a ball but can't do much else
Dunno about that. Pretty sure we would have lost the QB clash last year if he hadn't stepped up and kicked something like 7 straight. He does it few and far in between, but it's something he can do, and has done before. And don't say it wasn't an important game, or it was just Melbourne, because they were killing us through the middle that day. Cloke won that game off his own boot for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On what basis is he not in the best 200 players? Because if it's CD or any similar such rating based system they are also notoriously harsh on his conversion whilst overlooking the positives he provides.

You're opinion is all over the shop first you said you couldn't give two phucks if he's traded now it's "sure keep him in the side, but not for anywhere near the money" which is a completely different discussion. It's also a point I agree with and noted in the contract extension thread on him.

Last edited:
I think we can stop saying Cloke still can't kick straight every time someone makes a comment about him. He is nearly 30, that ship has sailed. It's like saying he still has tattoos every time you mention him. It's not changing.

My summary on Cloke is we are a better team with him in it. All other conversation outside of that is moot really.

Don't actually have NBN myself, have cable, but it shouldn't be a problem with the NBN unless Optus (who I had no issues with) are up to something. But without calling Optus & Collingwood both directly trying to work out the source of the problem it's a bit hard to say.

jjsmitty8 I guess you probably need to purchase a speed pack to take advantage of full NBN speeds. From memory you should be able to hit up to 140~160mbps bandwidth, which is usually split into about 120down/rest up. 20mbps is plenty though unless you're downloading large (5gb+) files on a daily basis.

EDIT: After a bit of quick research it seems like the maximum download speed offered is about 100mbps which requires a 'speedpack' at an extra charge. Not sure where I conjured the 140~160 from (although that would include upload speeds) but I'm sure you can surpass the 100mbps at any rate...

Thanks for your response Bard. Everything else works fine, such as watching Netflix and downloading stuff, just not last nights game. It takes at least an hour to get through to Optus so I will probably give it a miss.

I think we can stop saying Cloke still can't kick straight every time someone makes a comment about him. He is nearly 30, that ship has sailed. It's like saying he still has tattoos every time you mention him. It's not changing.

My summary on Cloke is we are a better team with him in it. All other conversation outside of that is moot really.

So true. During the semi final in 2007 the commentators were talking about his goal kicking and being a confidence player. Nothing has changed since and never will. He is what he is.

Went to Pies training a couple of weeks back and Cloke was still a spud with his kicking. How'd he go last night, didn't get a chance to watch it

Kicked 2 but Sprayed quiet a few Still

The speed of the connection provided by your ISP is by far the most important thing though

This isn't the only factor. Insufficient backhaul is a major problem at the moment withe the NBN. If your internet provider isn't buying enough capacity this will cause congestion issues and slow downs in speed.

Essentially we have whole lot of people trying to access the internet at high speeds, where it hasn't been possible before, and this causing some strain. You'd expect this to be ironed out over time.

For what it's worth I streamed it fine on my 4.5m connection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Intraclub match!!! Details in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back