Investigation into Essendon Fitness Program

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course you are, but within reason.

I just don't see how you can be proud of defending a club that gave its players a substance not even approved for human use. I find it ironic that you all love Jobe Watson so much, yet ignore the words that came out of his very own mouth.

Defending your club is fine, being illogical and in denial throughout a VERY SERIOUS situation is not. As I said this isn't all about footy, its about the long term health of these players who may have had god knows what injected into them.

I am aware of how serious this is i'm just waiting for the investigation to finish and not jumping at shadows.

Show me where he said it was probably illegal? Pretty sure you wont be able to because he never used those words together. Pretty ironic a Carlton fan mentioning this considering what that club has done in the past :)

Will be absolutely hilarious to see the reactions of all opposition fans when there are NO player suspensions handed out HA HA!!

See, the immaturity and lack of concern here is sickening. Why do I feel like I care more about the health and safety of the players than Essendon fans?

If you do get away with it, you will be known as the drug cheats who were never punished and any accomplishments to achieve will be overshadowed by the fact that you took illegal substances. So basically, nobody will respect the AFL or your club.

If I was an Essendon fan I would want the punishments to be handed out ASAP so that way you can fight your way back and earn respect again the proper way. If you do the crime you do the time.

Conditional GRAS it would seem. From the Calzada site:

Metabolic Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd (Metabolic)

Metabolic is seeking to derive value from the Company’s past investment of over $50 million in the pharmaceutical development of AOD9604. The peptide has proven to be safe and well tolerated in a total of 6 human clinical trials involving 925 humans.
Potential means of deriving value from AOD9604 currently being actively pursued include seeking partners and licensing interest for the use of AOD9604 in:
(i) Over the counter (OTC) products in the United States for fat reduction under a self-affirmed GRAS status.

Metabolic has recently achieved a self-affirmed GRAS (Generally Recognised As Safe) status (conditional on a journal publication of existing safety data) which allows the marketing of AOD9604 into the US market. This means that AOD9604 can be legally added to foods, drinks, nutraceuticals & dietary supplements.

Everything I have read has said its still labelled as unsafe.

Even so, why would you not stick to the basic legal injections? I would not be injecting my players with a relatively unknown drug that has only been tested on 925 people.

Despite how my posts may appear, I do actually wish Essendon never got into this mess and it would be great for the AFL if they do prove to be innocent. But as the evidence has suggested so far this is not the case at all.

Will be the biggest BF meltdown in history.

Will be even funnier watching Essendon suffer significant penalties for bringing the game into disrepute.

I don't care about players being suspended, they will be branded cheats when named and shamed.

Hird's Golden Image tar is he'd forever, unless you're a Bombers supporter blinded by his awesomeness.

Will be even funnier watching Essendon suffer significant penalties for bringing the game into disrepute.

I don't care about players being suspended, they will be branded cheats when named and shamed.

Hird's Golden Image tar is he'd forever, unless you're a Bombers supporter blinded by his awesomeness.

James Hird is pretty awesome.

Show me where he said it was probably illegal? Pretty sure you wont be able to because he never used those words together. Pretty ironic a Carlton fan mentioning this considering what that club has done in the past :)

Will be absolutely hilarious to see the reactions of all opposition fans when there are NO player suspensions handed out HA HA!!

I just had a look at your reserves today and you had better pray that this happens.

If the player bans and draft penalties occur then it will take your club a minimum of 15 years to recover.

Not sure if the thread is already there:

But would love to see one called the "Ironies of the Last 6 Months"
Selective quotes from commentators / those involved to see the shifting ground.

ie. Tim Watson - after the meeting with the players' parents vs latest quote.
James Hird - day after his appointment "all I've gotta do is teach these guys how to play" vs "I'm shattered" vs "I'm just waiting for the time that I can reveal all"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been trying to whip myself up into an anti-Essendon frenzy, but I can't do it. The available facts just don't add up to them being drug cheats. And I'd rather beat them fair and square on the footy field than because half the team is suspended over some obscure technicality.

Think on this...

1) Did Essendon players take a banned drug? Probably not.

The article by sports lawyer Darren Kanein today's Age lays it out. AOD9604 is not on any WADA banned list. It may fall under a catch-all that comes into effect where a pharmacological substance is not approved for therapeutic use in any country. In Australia, this means the substance must be approved by the Therapeutic Goods Association but it may also be legally prescribed by a Doctor and prepared by a compounding chemist. In Essendon’s case, the latter almost certainly applies. And, given its limited effect on the human body, it is even debatable whether AOD9604 can even be called a 'pharmacological substance'. Not to mention that ASADA appear to have previously advised the ACC (and who knows who else?) that AOD9604 is not banned. Black & white? Hell no. ASADA is inviting a major legal battle if they try to sanction Essendon for using AOD9604.

2) Does AOD9604provide an unfair advantage on the football field? Almost certainly not.

This is the key question. Clinical testing of AOD9604has identified that it may help repair cartilage and assist recovery. If so, this could have helped get injured Essendon players back on the park quicker, but when you consider their injury crisis last year, the evidence that it provided any benefit just isn't there. And its important to note that clinical testing has not identified any performance enhancing qualities. Even the manufactured acknowledges this.

3) Even if they did take a banned drug, are the players culpable? Clearly not.

Before each season, the AFL’s Medical Officers visit each team and instruct all players on the process they must follow to ensure all substances they take are WADA-compliant. This process involves getting advice and approval from club doctors. Assuming the Essendon players followed the directive of the sport’s governing body they cannot be held accountable if this process fails them (in fact, they went above and beyond what was required by requesting the consent forms that included sign-off by experts that the programme was WADA compliant).

Bottom line - I don't want to see anyone's career and reputation trashed unfairly no matter what footy team they play for.

So its perfectly acceptable for doctors to prescribe drugs that don't address any medical condition?

Sung to Queens Of The Stone Age - Feel Good Hit Of The Summer

AOD, Thymosin, Vitamins, Hexarelin, Essendon and Stephen Dank
CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CHEAAAAAAATSSSSSSSS

Sung to Queens Of The Stone Age - Feel Good Hit Of The Summer

CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CH-CHEAAAAAAATSSSSSSSS

better winning through chemistry

If everything is all good, why is Dank so determined to avoid being interviewed?

Wouldn't he want to clear his name if these drugs are actually not banned?

He isn't required to co-operate with ASADA because he isn't currently employed by an entity answerable to ASADA.

He'd be far more worried about the ACC.

He isn't required to co-operate with ASADA because he isn't currently employed by an entity answerable to ASADA.

He'd be far more worried about the ACC.

Wasn't that passed by the senate and now ASADA have the power to make him talk?

Latest report says he'll take legal action to avoid it.

If it's so clear where's the infraction notice?

Need the full story, whose involved, responsible etc. I don't know if its that clear its a guilty verdict from their investigation. I'm just saying with how Dank is avoiding the interview so badly, it clearly isn't a good thing.

Has there been any clarification on what this is all about:
Internal Metabolic 2011 emails obtained by Fairfax Media show the company was trying to gather all data related to AOD-9604's effect on muscle cells, with its executives excited by the drug's popularity in the body-building scene and the big sums earned by Chinese black market manufacturers.Mr Dank last year helped arrange for Essendon chairman David Evans, who runs an investment broking firm, and coach James Hird, a trained stockbroker, to receive a stockbroker briefing on the company's prospects.A text allegedly sent by Mr Dank to Hird last year, which was reported by ABC television's 7.30 program earlier this year, stated: ''financials ready for you and David for AOD project. These financials cover all possible revenue streams, where the project applies.''
AOD project revenue streams?

There is new ASADA legislation that compels the attendance of any witnesses called or cop a $5100 fine for each day they refuse to appear.

Dank has already given evidence to the ACC.

And apparently is going to the high court to fight the new legislation. He does not want to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back