Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah momentum is the one thing you don't want!

I personally gain more self belief in my lifting ability by doing it myself. Relying on someone in order for you to lift the weight is not the idea of the sport no matter what you are actually lifting for.

If you need someone to 'push up your elbows' the weight is either far too heavy for you or your stabilizers are under developed due to the reliance on your mate.

When I first started I was all for spotters it meant I could lift heavier weight, however now I don't even entertain the idea, apart from when I'm trying to achieve a better 1RM, I want to lift my weight by myself which will give me the best results.

On the topic of spotting, the people who take at least 50% of the weight.

I almost never ask for a spot, but when I do, I want somebody who will step in if I'm going to drop it on myself, and make sure that they help me get the weight up, not lift it themselves.

Even worse is when I first started at this gym, not many had seen a person do the Bench Press like I do: slow eccentric, fast but controlled concentric, stopping short of the lock out point. So when I asked a few different guys for spots (and in one case didn't), they would often jump in on the first step, assuming that I was struggling, taking all of the weight, and taking me way past the lock out point.

It's why I probably haven't asked for a spot in this entire year, now that I think about it.

I just give a little tap with my index fingers if they are in a dead spot. If they are still stuck, then you take the weight. But it annoys me when people clearly can't do the weight and go another rep when you've already spotted them out of one.

Spotters are necessary IMO. But I used to do a fair few max sessions and things.

Wouldn't you rather just do the actual lift yourself, and build up the stability naturally?

To "get momentum"? Hmm.. That's just wrong.

going for 1-3 rep max eg. shoulder press

lift weights up on your shoulders

can't push weight up to even start your first rep because it's the hardest part

spotter pushes arms up for you and then you do 1-3 reps without any other assistance

i can only get the dumbbells up when i'm at about my 4+ rep range, otherwise they're always too heavy

same goes for bench press

i hope i explained it properly lol my last post was kinda sketchy

There are many tools and people who are particularly annoying at gyms , but two consistent things that annoy me at the gym are - People who pick up dumbbells off the rack and then proceed to do their exercise right next to it , blocking people wanting to get dumbbells, or re-rack them. The other is people walking to close to you when doing either a heavy dumbbell shoulder press or bench press and distracting your focus , which then makes you lose your momentum.

the thing that irritates me most is seeing PTs who incorrectly train their clients. i always see poor exercise selection, poor programs, incorrect technique, no recognition of the clients physiological considerations/risks and poor rapport with the client. as someone who has a bachelor of exercise science majoring in strength conditioning i see this shit everytime i walk into the gym. what also annoys me is that all these people need to do is 8 weeks of study and they're 'qualified' to train people

There are many tools and people who are particularly annoying at gyms , but two consistent things that annoy me at the gym are - People who pick up dumbbells off the rack and then proceed to do their exercise right next to it , blocking people wanting to get dumbbells, or re-rack them. The other is people walking to close to you when doing either a heavy dumbbell shoulder press or bench press and distracting your focus , which then makes you lose your momentum.

This is annoying, although I do shrugs next to the rack.

On the subject of hopping off equipment during the rest between sets I usually do 3 sets at 1:30 - 2 mins with a 20-30 second rest in between. It's pretty inconveniant to swap with someone every rest. Though I shit you not I see people do a set of 10, not pushing themselves, and sit there for 5 ****ing minutes resting before doing another ****ing 10, and they do this with every piece of equipment they use.

Grunters don't bother me, you're their to get the best out of yourself not worry about other people.

Fair enough, I've seen others doing this, but as I said I'd rather just build up the strength myself.

I train 100% for size, so I never worry about the weight I'm lifting, yet i can comfortably lift 42kg dumbbells from the ground to above my head for seated shoulder press.

I'm not telling you to boast, but rather express how easy it is to build up the strength to do it yourself if you train that way to begin with.
Out of interest what can you shoulder press on a bar?

lift weights up on your shoulders
can't push weight up to even start your first rep because it's the hardest part
spotter pushes arms up for you and then you do 1-3 reps without any other assistance

Yeah, i don't see how that differs.

You've clearly stated that you are trying to lift weights that you can't lift on your own. You don't have the strength to get it up yourself, so you get your mate to, then you work off the momentum and/or your mate to keep pushing the weight up.

The hardest part is getting up. You don't stack more weight on a deadlift then get your mate to help you get it off the floor - so why do it with the shoulder press?

If you're doing the shoulder press lift the weights on to your knees, sit down, then use your legs to get the weight up, make sure you level yourself out again on the chair then start lifting the weight yourself. The hardness to initially lift the weight should be felt every rep, if its not felt then you either aren't using the full ROM or you are using your momentum to lift the weight instead of strength.

I'd proudly lift 10-15kg's less than the bloke next to me knowing I'm actually getting more benefit from it.

Just something to think about mate.

The other way to get it up (not nasal spray) is to move one foot forward and swing the dumbbells up onto your shoulders like you're lunging, but swinging the arms up.

I wouldn't say do it, but it looks alright :p

Thing that annoys me is people that spend too much time worrying about: Splits / Reps, Easiest Ways to Workout to Achieve Maximum Results.... When they don't even push their bodies in the gym.

If I'm in a gym and working up a swet, I know I'm getting better results than the bloke next to me who is cruising through his workout. Of coarse you need a basic idea of how to go about things, but there are so many people that look for shortcuts. No pain to gain as simple as that.

And in response to spotting, when you are doing shoulder press, you are working out your shoulders. Getting a spot to get the weights into a position to work them out I thought was fine? And is there a difference between resting the dumbells on your legs and hoisting them up that way or getting a mate to help with the initial rep..

If I have a mate working out with me I will take advantage of it and load up a bar, which means I am pushing to the maximum of my ability.

And in response to spotting, when you are doing shoulder press, you are working out your shoulders. Getting a spot to get the weights into a position to work them out I thought was fine? And is there a difference between resting the dumbells on your legs and hoisting them up that way or getting a mate to help with the initial rep..

Lifting the weight up into position isn't the issue - though if you can't do it you have to wonder why you are lifting so much. The issue is getting someone to help you with your first rep because its 'too difficult' to lift on your own. It's more or less being spotted from the first rep which is ridiculous!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, i don't see how that differs.

You've clearly stated that you are trying to lift weights that you can't lift on your own. You don't have the strength to get it up yourself, so you get your mate to, then you work off the momentum and/or your mate to keep pushing the weight up.

The hardest part is getting up. You don't stack more weight on a deadlift then get your mate to help you get it off the floor - so why do it with the shoulder press?

If you're doing the shoulder press lift the weights on to your knees, sit down, then use your legs to get the weight up, make sure you level yourself out again on the chair then start lifting the weight yourself. The hardness to initially lift the weight should be felt every rep, if its not felt then you either aren't using the full ROM or you are using your momentum to lift the weight instead of strength.

I'd proudly lift 10-15kg's less than the bloke next to me knowing I'm actually getting more benefit from it.

Just something to think about mate.

lolwut

most people can't do their 1-3 rep max without someone pushing the weight up for them so they can start the first rep

best example i could find

[youtube]AR8605QlLGc[/youtube]

for me, without someone pushing up for you, its like starting off your 1 rep bench with the weight on on your chest instead of on the pegs

Interesting, I'll raise your noob with home camera with the guy who arguably has the biggest shoulders atm.

[YOUTUBE]CnuikX2c_I8[/YOUTUBE]

If you really want to get the most out of your shoulder press, start the rep from your shoulders ;)

What does dumbbell shoulder press have to do with Bench btw?

Shouldn't you be comparing with dumbbell bench press where you start your rep from your chest?

wow, how the hell did he get all that weight up by himself and manage to bust out 8+ reps? if jay was going for his 1-3 rep max he would have someone lift his arms up for him so he can start his first rep

i'm using bench as an example because you start the exercise with stretched arms, making it easier so there is less chance you will need a spot because nobody needs to stretch your arms out for you

with dumbbells, you get someone to push your arms up so you can start off as if you were using a barbell

You're not talking about dumbbell chest press, I hope?Perfectly put.

E-stats just got a whole lot less respectable, if this is how guys out there are lifting.
I work for strength. If I didnt get help to get it above my shoulders I would never be able to work in low rep ranges, I would need 6 reps minimum to work the muscle and that won't get me my optimum strength games.
Have fun finding your 1, 2 or 3 rep max for the press if you are doing it that way. You will find you either cant lift the bar up, or if you can lift the bar up you will be able to push out 4 or 5 reps.

Works for strength but can't lift his own weights up :confused: - What have we uncovered here :eek:

So no-one likes to lift their own weights?

Just do what all the kids are doing and get your mate to do it for you.

haha, smooth.

let me get this clear

getting the weight up takes out most of your energy and doesn't count as a rep

Mate, its not your max if someone lifts it up for you :confused:

they're not doing any reps for you, they are helping you get the heavy weights into position so you can test your max

You're not talking about dumbbell chest press, I hope?Perfectly put.

dumbbell shoulder press and dumbbell chest press

having to get the dumbbells up above you doesn't count as a rep. when people do these exercises with barbells (barbell military press and bench press) the weight starts above you

hence why everyone gets someone to push the dumbbells up for you to start the exericse

if the rep range is 4+ reps you generally won't need help getting the weight up at all though

I work for strength. If I didnt get help to get it above my shoulders I would never be able to work in low rep ranges, I would need 6 reps minimum to work the muscle and that won't get me my optimum strength games.
Have fun finding your 1, 2 or 3 rep max for the press if you are doing it that way. You will find you either cant lift the bar up, or if you can lift the bar up you will be able to push out 4 or 5 reps.

true

let me get this clear
getting the weight up takes out most of your energy and doesn't count as a rep
they're not doing any reps for you, they are helping you get the heavy weights into position so you can test your max
dumbbell shoulder press and dumbbell chest press
having to get the dumbbells up above you doesn't count as a rep. when people do these exercises with barbells (barbell military press and bench press) the weight starts above you
hence why everyone gets someone to push the dumbbells up for you to start the exericse

Everyone gets someone to lift the weight up to the full extension before they start their rep? Answer, No. You start 1st rep chest from your chest (we are still talking dumbbells) and the 1st rep shoulders from your shoulders. Simple as that. If you start from the top you are just using the momentum to lift the weight back up again (something clearly not ideal for strength or building muscle)

You should try it sometime - you could find a large increase in your own strength instead of your mates spotting power strength :thumbsu:

And when people are saying getting the weights up - are they talking getting it up off your knees to your shoulders or pushing your elbows up to get the weight above your head?

1st point - ok, i guess. Still not ideal
2nd point - ludicrous

so you can take dumbbells..get the weight up by yourself and then max out at 2 reps?

and i've never found myself in a situation where i can't ask someone to push my arms up for me and their jobs done

and by 1st rep i meant pushing my arms up so i can start the exercises with my arms straight, just like powerlifters do when doing such a low rep range

edit: take layne norton for example, when he is doing his 1-3 rep max on dumbbell shoulder or dumbbell chest press, he gets someone to push his arms up so he starts the exercise at the top and then pushes out as many as he can, this way it is as though he is starting it like it's barbell bench or barbell military

Stubborn aren't you?

There is a better way to gain muscle or build strength - Drop 5-10kg and try it on your own :thumbsu:

If you can't get your 2RM up, once again it isn't your 2RM!
And I've maxed out at 1-3 reps plenty of times, using my own strength to get the dumbbells in position - It isn't that hard.

Stubborn aren't you?

There is a better way to gain muscle or build strength - Drop 5-10kg and try it on your own :thumbsu:

If you can't get your 2RM up, once again it isn't your 2RM!
And I've maxed out at 1-3 reps plenty of times, using my own strength to get the dumbbells in position - It isn't that hard.

the only weight i can get up for shoulder press is 4+ reps

same for chest

will i ever know my 1-3 rm? :|

Remove this Banner Ad

Irritating people/things that annoy you in the gym

Remove this Banner Ad

Back