Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
No, just coz the supporters are unhappy doesn't automatically spell 'hate Bucks '
There are some that do, no doubt about that. Not much point discussing Buckley with them.
If and when he is moved on, you will see them celebrating loudly.

This business about Buckley's resume.. seriously.. what does that have to do with the price of fish.. when you're looking at assistants at other clubs that you feel have the potential to win you premierships? What did Clarko's resume look like when he took over the gig at Hawthorn? They were smart enough to look at his work and life experience and know that he was probably worth more than just a punt over some of the more established coaches at the time..

Buckley's resume? Give me a break.. fair dinkum.

But the dash has been run.
We aren’t in 2017 anymore.
We gave him now 4 seasons post that. That judgment has been cast and he was as heavily involved in getting the players he wanted ...even if he didn’t have a say on contract terms...the club made it happen for him.
At the time ok, he did well without landing the big one but the landscape has now changed
This is 10 years in ...we aren’t assessing it on 5 years.

If his name wasn’t Nathan Buckley he wouldn’t have lasted this long.
The club is bigger than any individual and the sad part is it’s not being applied to Nathan whatsoever. It’s as if he is above reproach and everyone is scared to act in a logical manner

Im not acting on emotion...it’s just logic
10 years he has had...surely that’s more than enough time to have multiple cracks at it?
We can’t afford to have him sit around for a further 2-3 years....it’s a disservice to this club and to the fan base.

You’re probably right that his time is up. I’m just pointing out he has taken us almost to a premiership so it’s not as if he can’t coach. I’m also pointing out that the debacle of last years trade period is the fault of those responsible for drafting, trading, and negotiating player contracts. Buckley shares little to none of that blame.

Our current situation comes out of contract negotiations post 2018.... paying too much (and/or backloading or contracts that are too long)... Phillips Stephenson Cox Treloar Grundy Langdon Beams etc

Last edited:

His time is most likely up and I agree with the above regarding forward structure, forward entries, & ball movement but your posting about Buckley fails to acknowledge a single positive.

Attributing the good that happened in 2018 to others but blaming him for all the bad that has taken place... I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Do you recall after the review, he said himself he took a black seat and let the assistants take over? It was all over the news. Don't think it was a coincidence that was a successful year.

Do you recall after the review, he said himself he took a black seat and let the assistants take over? It was all over the news. Don't think it was a coincidence that was a successful year.

Yes I do. Delegating is a sign of maturing leadership.

He might very well still be delegating which is a sign that regardless of what happens with his position our current assistants need to go.

There are some that do, no doubt about that. Not much point discussing Buckley with them.
If and when he is moved on, you will see them celebrating loudly.

Maybe, I'd argue they're very very few in number, it's more likely everyone's just angry because of the collective fk ups from the club that now sees us in an unenviable position with nothing to show for it, and likely to be in the dark for some time. (me included).

The criticism pointed at Buckley from some on here may come across as vitriol, and it probably is, but I doubt it's a deep seated hate for the man, more a deep seated hate for how and why we've ended up where we've ended up -Buckley, as much as I do rate him, even as a coach does warrant some criticism for that.

Point is, that on face value what may look like hate is actually just harsh criticism, understandably so, we're all just human after all and passionate Pies.

If Buckley plays the kids that is a step forward.
If he lets the assistants make the game day decisions - that is another step forward.
Buckley has to relinquish control of training, planning and match day decision to others - if they can do it better.
If they (all coaches) can get the skills better with a young group they can turn around the slide quickly and that may just save Buckley.
A smart manager surrounds themselves with smarter people.

Masive 2 games ahead for Buckley.. let's sign him after the North Melbourne game.. massive opportunity for Collingwood to market Buckley like he's the messiah.. yet again.

Nice timing Bucks on your declaration that you want the job.. see how you go against the heavyweights of the comp in the next coupla..

Last edited:
You’re probably right that his time is up. I’m just pointing out he has taken us almost to a premiership so it’s not as if he can’t coach. I’m also pointing out that the debacle of last years trade period is the fault of those responsible for drafting, trading, and negotiating player contracts. Buckley shares little to none of that blame.

Our current situation comes out of contract negotiations post 2018.... paying too much (and/or backloading or contracts that are too long)... Phillips Stephenson Cox Treloar Grundy Langdon Beams etc
he couldnt win with them. so why would he win without? time for a new start.

I’m not a bucks lover or hater, if he’s the best for the job keep him. I’m very open to Clarkson or Mitchell however as the club is very stale. At very least get rid of the assistants...

some perspective since 2018 GF
Things out of bucks control:
Langdon: A grade defender lost to injury
Beams: two first round picks AGAIN wasted, those picks would be hitting their straps now- see port. Beams Played how many games? Crippled us on field and salary cap wise.
Treloar: two first rounders and one of bestplayers we had, gone through no fault of bucks, he didn’t sign off the contract, nothing in return!
phillips, Stevo- salary cap issues again... got nothing in return
Add to that adams, Howe, Elliot, Degoey are now seemingly always on injured list

given this you can see why we’ve fallen so hard, and a lot has nothing to do with bucks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Wayne Carey declares that Collingwood “must re-sign Buckley now”.
I wonder why?
Could it be that he loves the notion of a Collingwood stuck at the bottom of the ladder? Shedding members and sponsors?
The amount of opposition followers in the media that back Buckley to stay in the job must be the biggest red flag ever.
They love what he has done to our match day prospects. The days that they put a “loss” in the column when facing CFC is now a “win”.
And we let it go on.

I wonder why?
Could it be that he loves the notion of a Collingwood stuck at the bottom of the ladder? Shedding members and sponsors?
The amount of opposition followers in the media that back Buckley to stay in the job must be the biggest red flag ever.
They love what he has done to our match day prospects. The days that they put a “loss” in the column when facing CFC is now a “win”.
And we let it go on.

It's funny that every time he is up for contract all the "media experts" want him to be re-signed.
If you put him on the open market tomorrow, there wouldn't be a single club that would want him---that's how you know that they dont want him re-signed for all the right reasons--they know the longer he continues to stay here, the longer will continue to just tread water,

It's funny that every time he is up for contract all the "media experts" want him to be re-signed.
If you put him on the open market tomorrow, there wouldn't be a single club that would want him---that's how you know that they dont want him re-signed for all the right reasons--they know the longer he continues to stay here, the longer will continue to just tread water,
I think that’s wrong.

I wonder why?
And we let it go on.
Carey is correct.

Carey has always hated Buckley and Collingwood with a passion. He wants Bucks to continue because he wants our decent to continue.
You seem to know a lot about what Carey thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back