Is Emu in our best?

Remove this Banner Ad

dropdead1

All Australian
Apr 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Given his performance on the weekend, I'm interested in everyones thoughts on whether Bower has a place in our best side. He's a reasonable one-on-one defender, has solid, albeit sometimes shaky disposal and has the odd flashy run per game. I honestly can't see him playing as a forward, nor do I see him starting on a wing. I really like the guy and hope he succeeds. But I can't help but feel that Laidler is well past him now.

Could his performance against the Giants have been the catalyst needed to reignite his career? Or is he just another solid depth player?

I think he is definitely in Carlton's best. As you said, his one on one work is fantastic. His disposal is decent. I rate him pretty highly.

one of our biggest liabilities with ball in hand.

No.

Hmmm, with ball in hand in the sense that he can run himself into trouble, but his disposal efficiency has always been quite good. The heart in mouth stuff is what gives people the impression otherwise.

Unfortunately not. Laidler has his role covered down back, he's never really been a forward, nor could he squeeze out any one of Waite, Walker or Hampson (T-Bird as the band-aid KPF), and in the midfield he's at the back of a fairly long queue of midfielders.

Massive, massive shame that all of those injuries stalled his development...his early career gave all the indications that he'd be a 150 game player. It's possible he still could, but even the most blinkered Bower supporter would have to admit that he's up against it. :(

He played well but I'm assuming after Setanta went down, he was released to play anywhere.

What this suggests to me, albeit a very small sample game, is Laidler has more value down back but Bower could do well as a running wingman/float everywhere player. But we'll see what the MC decide.

His one on one work is serviceable, he's disposal efficiency is okay.

For him to cement his spot he would want to improve both and he would want to become more penetrating with his disposal. While he might have a decent enough disposal efficiency they are generally a sideways switch kick or a handball out of defence. If he can regularly bring the run out of defence which we sore on the weekend, he'll be hard to replace.

At the moment he's fringe 22. But plenty of upside.

Like Russell he is a confidence player, and when his confidence is up he is a fine player

I think ratts has done well actually to trial him forward

Laidler and Duigan mean spots are scarce down back, and Bower has to add another string to his bow

The mark he took as a lead up forward last week was arguably mroe telling than the goal he kicked or any defensive work he did

Has the pace to be a lead up forward. Give him time, not saying he will make it but let's give him time.

I think I read somewhere he was used up forward to pretty good effect in his Peel Thunder days (?).

Nevertheless it's worth giving him a go up there over Micheal "1 goal" Jamison lol.

Yeah I reckon he is, still not back to 09 form yet, he will be a gun once he gets through another injury free preseason. Ratts obviously rates him and is giving him every oppotunity.

Bower Jamo Joesph/2E
Yarran Hendo Laidler

Laider and even Jamo can play on smalls, this has the makings of a premiership backline!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Russell he is a confidence player, and when his confidence is up he is a fine player.
This. That running goal was a glimpse of a player about to seize self-belief. You can bet his coaches will be telling him that that's what he needs to do every time - back himself 100% and dismiss all doubt. When he does that, he'll be in our best dozen, let alone 22.

While I appreciate his endeavour.... To say he is in our best 22 after his display against the Giants might be a bit much. He goes out for him? Jamison, Henderson, Laidler, Duigan, Tuohy, Yarran - I can't see it - Sorry. But he's in our top 26 and that could prove very important over the coarse of the season!

Not sure we have a best 22.
We've got a certain 16-18ish, + about another 8-10.
Currently he would be in the second group, but come Finals time he could definitely move into the first.

Bower is a guy who has missed a lot of footy. He played his best in 2009, then had 2 years ruined by injury. On Sunday, he was one of the few guys who took it upon himself to make sure we won. Kicked that goal in the 2nd, then directly set up the next 2 in the 3rd.

He needs consistent game time and to build his confidence, but he has the talent to be a premiership player.

The concept of a best 22 is, in my opinion, no longer particularly relevant.

Of far greater relevance is a best 30 or so, a squad, from which we can select the most appropriate group of players to execute a particular plan against any team on any given day.

With injuries, suspension and the increasingly popular idea of player management, it is exceptionally rare for any side to have their so-called 'best 22' out on the park together - especially for more than one week at a time.

This is the way the game is heading. That's why the notion of depth is one which is now so highly sought after. Those with greater depth are usually thought to be in a better position than those with a better upper echelon of players,

For the first time in a long period, we're in a stage where we can comfortably say that we have some seriously good depth at the club. There are players missing out on a game each and every week that have shown they are capable of contributing at senior level, and who would be able to do so if and when called upon for senior action. And the vast majority of them will at some stage be called up to the senior side to execute a role, be it a large or small one.

For argument's sake, if you had to put down on paper who are the best 22 players at the club, Pauly would probably be on the cusp. As it stands he'd probably sit somewhere in the 16-26 range - not good enough to be considered totally indispensable, but good enough to feature regularly throughout the course of the season.

Of far greater relevance is asking whether or not he has the capability to have a positive impact at senior level on a consistent basis. The answer is, in my opinion, quite clearly yes. That doesn't mean he'll play every game, we've already seen that he won't. At times he'll have to be left out for any of a number of possible reasons - form, injury, suspension, team balance in particular. What is clear, however, is that he will play his fair share of games. I'd say he'll play around 20 games for the year.

Bower is clearly rated by the MC and I really like him as a player. Before injuries almost completely destroyed his career he was developing into a very good footballer, and an important component of our side. He's now coming from a hell of a long way back and whilst he hasn't made it back completely, he's well and truly on the way to re-establishing his career for good. I've got no doubt that Ratts believes in his ability to help the side push for premiership number 18, and I've got no doubt that he'll give Paul every opportunity to prove his worth to those who may have wavered in their support.

Is this a joke?

Even the coaches dont rate him defensively: See the essendon game: after laider got injured Bower was still used in the forward line ahead of a bloke with a dodgy knee.
Settle down Princess. Bower did his job on Miller in round one. IIRC, Laidler also played forward and back against Essendon after that injury. Every tall defender bar Henderson have had their turn forward.

Good clubs need the likes of Bower putting pressure on to win a flag. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Bower moves to another club. For Similar reasons to Grigg and Jacobs.

A valuable player whether in the side or adding depth. Very close to being picked every week in my book but not there yet and no certainty to get there either. I'm hoping he does because in form he is quite a package: big, strong, fast.

I have been critical of Bower.

Does he fit into team plans? Yes for all the good reasons cited above by J and Big Sim.

Is he in our best 22?

Not at the moment.

Why not?

He runs sideways / backwards / executes poor handballs everytime he is under pressure / is a soft tackler/ freezes under pressure

Can these negatives change?

Yes. He needs to understand that he is being left unmarked every time he plays because opposition coaches dont rate him. This provides him with more space in rebound to make corect decisions and also space to encourage him to run much straighter - allowing our players to present for him.

Would he be a big loss if he left?

Look at our total list - someone pointed out in another post that nearly 30% of our list is currently injured - including a lot of talls how many of these players offer better looking forward?

Settle down Princess. Bower did his job on Miller in round one. IIRC, Laidler also played forward and back against Essendon after that injury. Every tall defender bar Henderson have had their turn forward.

Good clubs need the likes of Bower putting pressure on to win a flag. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Bower moves to another club. For Similar reasons to Grigg and Jacobs.

HEYYYYYYYYYYY!!!

you avoided my question yesterday my prince. Please refer to the miserly defence thread.

Bower has been fine-to-good in every game he has played this year, can't believe how much of a whipping boy he has become. Is offering us more than Russell, Duigan, and arguably even Thornton and Jamo (though these guys have runs on the board).

A lot of people on here seem to have made up their mind on Bower well before this season, that much is apparent. At least it would seem the coaches are happy with him, they have a better idea than most. ;)

Bower has been fine-to-good in every game he has played this year, can't believe how much of a whipping boy he has become. Is offering us more than Russell, Duigan, and arguably even Thornton and Jamo (though these guys have runs on the board).

A lot of people on here seem to have made up their mind on Bower well before this season, that much is apparent. At least it would seem the coaches are happy with him, they have a better idea than most. ;)

Do you reallythink that supporters of a Club - easilly criticise players?
Do you really think that 'coaches' are incapable of making errors when it comes to players?

if so how do you explain paying >$400K per annum for Mclean?
OR
giving Jacobs away - for nothing?
OR
having Walker up for trade in 2010?

Bower is at his best a dangerous fill in choice and at his worst - a turnover merchant.

Reckon he would get a starting 22 game in what Club? do tell.

Coaching staff are human beings - they make errors too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Emu in our best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back