Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Who played well for the Blues in Round 21 vs the Pies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we've been 'worked out' gameplan wise - as someone else said every club knows every other clubs game plan.

What I believe clubs do know is that we don't like pressure. We cannot handle full-frontal manic pressure. The clear instruction from the opposition coaches when they play us would be simple - go berserk and put as much pressure on as possible and they will fold for most of the game.

This is even more concerning than a club 'figuring out' our game plan. They know we're fragile and all 17 clubs would know they're a chance against us, also probably why we have no easy games, no matter who we play.

I don't think we've been 'worked out' gameplan wise - as someone else said every club knows every other clubs game plan.

What I believe clubs do know is that we don't like pressure. We cannot handle full-frontal manic pressure. The clear instruction from the opposition coaches when they play us would be simple - go berserk and put as much pressure on as possible and they will fold for most of the game.

This is even more concerning than a club 'figuring out' our game plan. They know we're fragile and all 17 clubs would know they're a chance against us, also probably why we have no easy games, no matter who we play.
In fairness - point out the team that has "easy games" relative to us? The competition is as level as it has ever been, and the only easy win teams this year appear to be Richmond, West Coast and North - and even they can have a good day and sneak a win. Only 2 wins separate the top 8 teams, and Sydney were comprehensively dismantled over the weekend.

My guess is most if not all teams would succumb to this type of pressure … our issue seems to be since quarter time of the GWS game our unwillingness to apply our pressure to the opposition for longer than 10 minutes one quarter a game …

+ don’t like physicality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is most if not all teams would succumb to this type of pressure … our issue seems to be since quarter time of the GWS game our unwillingness to apply our pressure to the opposition for longer than 10 minutes one quarter a game …
Carlton was playing at 250 pressure levels in Q1 - the problem was 1 :8 was the conversion number.

Voss' game plan seems to be start strong for a quarter hold on for the next and finish strong. Pretty basic and effective if conversion is average - if it is shyte - bad things can happen.

of course.

that's why we won those finals last year....

I think we make up for a bit of a lack of talent and pace by applying our own manic pressure and 'contest'. That's what's needed for us to beat the better sides.

This comes naturally to some like Crippa but maybe not to others like Walsh, Cerra, Hollands etc.

This type of game is very taxing (physically and mentally) and basically we are unable to sustain it across a whole season and perhaps even across a whole game.

It comes naturally to Cripps which is why he is still playing well while others drop off.

I disagree with takes which suggest we don’t learn and try to improve as a football club. Perhaps some of our efforts are more successful than others. And perhaps to an extent we have ended up having a large amount of issues to overcome because of where we were at. But some of the efforts at improving I can see are:

• identified lack of wings: brought in Blacres and Ollie Hollands
  • identified lack of small forwards: brought in Fantasia to try and create competition for spots
  • lack of turnover game: developed turnover game in 2024 preseason
  • injury management: made mid season tweaks

I think in the AFL these days, it is hard to get changes in multiple areas at the same time. So it is about fixing a couple of areas of need. Every club is going to have holes in its list. That’s the nature of the comp. And if you’ve got holes in your list, it dictates the sort of game you can play.

Our problem is that the lack of pace and footskills dictates the type of footy we can play. We need to start addressing it in the offseason (Walshy posted a video of a guy called Xavier Lindsay who I would love to have on the list), because there is about to be a second iteration of this list when guys like Marchbank, Martin, and Cuningham are no longer on it.

Again, I’m confident the club will take steps to address it. integration of Billy Wilson and Cooper Lord into the seniors in 2025 might offer some advantages along these lines (if Lord is slightly quicker defensively, as has been claimed), but there will need to be more done. I’m sure the club will take the steps that they can.

TBH we are playing very ordinary footy atm, but we are not getting smashed. Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

other than the loss to Sydney by 50 odd the next biggest loss was 14 points. with the average margin of the last block of four losses being 10.75.

we had Bulldogs, GWS, and Port who have all come into good form, and then Pies with Memberberrys 400th.

lets half full this MF'r. just need a two good quarters this week to get us back into form..

These two posts are level-headed and realistic.

This might be the opposite of that, and excessively positive.

But I just had the cray, cray, crazy thought, I wonder if Crazy Vossy might be playing a little crazy rope-a-dope with the comp? Maybe he knows we're good enough, but he's deliberately forking the set up, and maybe keeping them back, with the plan to make a massive surge in finals, blind siding an unsuspecting opposition.

Like last year, we made a surge, but we were spent towards the end. What if they've concocted something that might take us further?

Every week, I swear I see opposition forwards finding space and getting marks or shots on goal in F50, then I see Charlie and Harry struggle to get any.

Something is wrong with them or something is wrong with the method.
Every single side plays us the same way. Play 3 on 2 to Charlie and Harry. Spread hard on rebound and expose us for pace.

As a result what you’re seeing is what occurs. Us with a crowded forward line. Opposition getting easy space in rebound.

We start hurting sides a lot when we get the ball into good kickers hands like mcg Newman and saad and they take the game on by foot though the middle.

Opposition sides are totally exposed.

We usually start doing that when we are in trouble. And when the pressure is off because we are either well up or well down.

We don’t have the mental strength to do it when the game is on the line.

Yet.

Weirdly I think they will have had enough of themselves this week.

I expect them to attack the hawks big time. Their backline is rubbish. Get it in fast

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 Rd 21 Carlton vs Collingwood 3 point loss - is our season over?

Back