Is Emu in our best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not, but that may change. Thought he was OK in the last game, but was poor against the Elimination Final Implosionists. Laidler would definitely get picked before him, but he could develop into a Thornton-type swing role.

:)

Moot point, he's good enough to make the current team.

McInness, Watson or McCarthy may push him out of the team one day but for now...

On a related note, good to see Aussie resurrect his career at the Kennel.

Do you reallythink that supporters of a Club - easilly criticise players?
Do you really think that 'coaches' are incapable of making errors when it comes to players?

if so how do you explain paying >$400K per annum for Mclean?
OR
giving Jacobs away - for nothing?
OR
having Walker up for trade in 2010?

Bower is at his best a dangerous fill in choice and at his worst - a turnover merchant.

Reckon he would get a starting 22 game in what Club? do tell.

Coaching staff are human beings - they make errors too.

Who gave Jacobs away for nothing? We managed to get a 2nd round draft pick for a player who had already committed to heading back to SA.

Walker was up for trade in 2010 because Walker wanted to be up for trade in 2010. The club were not looking to offload him, they were trying to accommodate his wishes (he probably would have ended up at Adelaide as well if the Crows' hierarchy hadn't rushed to hand over a first round draft pick for Tambling).

Bower has been fine-to-good in every game he has played this year, can't believe how much of a whipping boy he has become. Is offering us more than Russell, Duigan, and arguably even Thornton and Jamo (though these guys have runs on the board).

A lot of people on here seem to have made up their mind on Bower well before this season, that much is apparent. At least it would seem the coaches are happy with him, they have a better idea than most. ;)

It was walker before the start of last season. Pass the humble pie please, and hope the next slice has some emu in it.:)

It was walker before the start of last season. Pass the humble pie please, and hope the next slice has some emu in it.:)

Hmmm, Walker played a few good games and people started jumping on.
Bower has done the same and is outperforming others and is still treated like rubbish. Ah well, it's what the coaches think that matters in the end.

The concept of a best 22 is, in my opinion, no longer particularly relevant.

Of far greater relevance is a best 30 or so, a squad, from which we can select the most appropriate group of players to execute a particular plan against any team on any given day.

With injuries, suspension and the increasingly popular idea of player management, it is exceptionally rare for any side to have their so-called 'best 22' out on the park together - especially for more than one week at a time.

This is the way the game is heading. That's why the notion of depth is one which is now so highly sought after. Those with greater depth are usually thought to be in a better position than those with a better upper echelon of players,

For the first time in a long period, we're in a stage where we can comfortably say that we have some seriously good depth at the club. There are players missing out on a game each and every week that have shown they are capable of contributing at senior level, and who would be able to do so if and when called upon for senior action. And the vast majority of them will at some stage be called up to the senior side to execute a role, be it a large or small one.

For argument's sake, if you had to put down on paper who are the best 22 players at the club, Pauly would probably be on the cusp. As it stands he'd probably sit somewhere in the 16-26 range - not good enough to be considered totally indispensable, but good enough to feature regularly throughout the course of the season.

Of far greater relevance is asking whether or not he has the capability to have a positive impact at senior level on a consistent basis. The answer is, in my opinion, quite clearly yes. That doesn't mean he'll play every game, we've already seen that he won't. At times he'll have to be left out for any of a number of possible reasons - form, injury, suspension, team balance in particular. What is clear, however, is that he will play his fair share of games. I'd say he'll play around 20 games for the year.

Bower is clearly rated by the MC and I really like him as a player. Before injuries almost completely destroyed his career he was developing into a very good footballer, and an important component of our side. He's now coming from a hell of a long way back and whilst he hasn't made it back completely, he's well and truly on the way to re-establishing his career for good. I've got no doubt that Ratts believes in his ability to help the side push for premiership number 18, and I've got no doubt that he'll give Paul every opportunity to prove his worth to those who may have wavered in their support.

Nice read. Agree with you entirely

His disposal has never been an issue. He gives great run off half-back.

His main issue is one on one defending. Despite being a very well built player he struggles defensively when other defenders like Jamison, Henderson and Laidler would usually bring the ball to ground.

He's a good 3rd tall option to have who can also do some key position roles when the opponent isn't too strong in the air.

I like Bower and still feel if we persist with him things may come together quite nicely for him. It has to help having some stability and structure to build around back there with Henderson and Jamison, too. Laidler being out is his chance to play regularly and make the spot his own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have this thing where people are good users of the ball and can kick it a mile but aren't necessarily good decision makers. People think cuz they are a good kick that makes them good players.- Imagine if u could put Josh Hunts Leg on Simon Black as an example.

Noow with bower I think it is a bit the same. has really good skills but they are offset by his really poor decision making, people only see the bright lights of the big turnovers which are generally a mental error rather than a skill error.

I'm not sure if he is best 22 but I love what the guy can bring to the table, especially in an offensive sense.

I have this thing where people are good users of the ball and can kick it a mile but aren't necessarily good decision makers. People think cuz they are a good kick that makes them good players.- Imagine if u could put Josh Hunts Leg on Simon Black as an example.

Noow with bower I think it is a bit the same. has really good skills but they are offset by his really poor decision making, people only see the bright lights of the big turnovers which are generally a mental error rather than a skill error.

I'm not sure if he is best 22 but I love what the guy can bring to the table, especially in an offensive sense.

Hammer, Nail, Head.

Love Pauly, always have. My favourite player at the Blues. But i agree his offensive part of the game is his strength. Would love to see him tried on a wing.

How Bower is still on an AFL list, let alone get a call up, baffles me...

If there is an opposition player with 10m, he is guaranteed to turn the ball over or put the nearest Blues player under pressure.
I honesty believe a fit athlete who has never played the game could be as good as Bower within 6 months of training.

Another dismal effort. Poises poor decision making and avg skills can only result in turnovers.

Tonights result: turnovers.

Can't believe Thornton was dropped. He retains the ball. That means the opposition can't score

I completely agree, but either way when he comes streaming out of defense, it is more likely to go flying back over his head than through for a goal at our end. Give someone else a go, on tonight it couldn't get much worse

How many times did he use his left foot and just butcher the ball tonight. BT rightly made the comment that he should understand his limitations. Not in our best, Thornton is ahead of him which isn't the greatest thing to admit.

How Bower is still on an AFL list, let alone get a call up, baffles me...

If there is an opposition player with 10m, he is guaranteed to turn the ball over or put the nearest Blues player under pressure.
I honesty believe a fit athlete who has never played the game could be as good as Bower within 6 months of training.

Slow poor user of the ball.bad decision maker he is a keeper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Emu in our best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back