Is Essendon's list still the worst in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napier_Street

Team Captain
Nov 13, 2002
Napier Street
AFL Club
Essendon
Well according to many at least, it was the worst list in the league going into this pre-season. I am just wondering if that view is till widely held. Good effort against a good Collingwood team suggests that the Dons can be, if nothing else, competitive this year.

I would think the additions of Davey, Pears and Gumbleton will also add some bite.

Don's ruck division looking pretty good with Hille, Davey and impressive Bellchambers coming on well in the NAB Cup.

Forward set up could be a challenge

Never was the worst list in the league.

This is a team that played finals football a couple of years back, the ability is there.

Forward line is still very suspect, just got to look at the fact that Monfries was leading goal kicker in 2010 with 24 goals for evidence of that.
Rucks are good but the midfield lacks polish - plenty of grunt however. Backline is fairly good, though Fletcher is still the best player down there & is almost 36 years old.
Wouldn't say they were ever the worst list in the league, but I still doubt they'll make finals this year - maybe 9-13 range in 2011

Does Essendon have the worst list in the league? NO
Have they improved? YES
Is their list a good list? NO

There are still so many flaws in the Bombers list. Last night was not any indication. Collingwood had a 6 day break, came back from Perth, had their key backs missing and are 6 weeks behind Essendon in training. On top of this, 7 of Essendons goals came from free kicks and fifty meter penalties. Despite this the pies won by just on 4 goals.
I still see them struggling this year despite their improvement.

Well according to many at least, it was the worst list in the league going into this pre-season. I am just wondering if that view is till widely held. Good effort against a good Collingwood team suggests that the Dons can be, if nothing else, competitive this year.

I would think the additions of Davey, Pears and Gumbleton will also add some bite.

Don's ruck division looking pretty good with Hille, Davey and impressive Bellchambers coming on well in the NAB Cup.

Forward set up could be a challenge

Really? accodring to many it is the worst list in the comp. Accoding to who because I have note seen or heard anyone suggest its the worst list.

This looks like an attempt to talk up your list by telling untruths.

They have the worst forward line in the league, thats about it. Midfield is ok, backline is promising and Rucks are good. But thanks to Knights their forward line is going to struggle for a while after he spent most of his time developing Gumbleton and Cream-puff Nagle who are turning out to be Spuds. Hence why Hurley, who still drifts in and out of games too often, being made into a key forward despite being drafted as a Key Defender.

And before all the essendon folk jump to Gumby's defense, ask yourself 'When has Gumbleton (22yo) ever shown the ability to win games off his boot like Buddy, Brown, Pav, Goodes, etc?'

Really? accodring to many it is the worst list in the comp. Accoding to who because I have note seen or heard anyone suggest its the worst list.

This looks like an attempt to talk up your list by telling untruths.

Many people said they had the worst list. So it is not an untruth.
That being said, their list isn't very good. Rucks are good, possibly my favourite pairing in the league with Hille and Ryder. But as said, midfield needs some polish, and forwards and backs are meh.

And before all the essendon folk jump to Gumby's defense, ask yourself 'When has Gumbleton (22yo) ever shown the ability to win games off his boot like Buddy, Brown, Pav, Goodes, etc?'

When has any rookie forward (that's basically what Gumby was last year, regardless of age) ever shown the ability to win a game off their own boot?

It took Brown 3-4 years for him to show that ability.

Many people said they had the worst list. So it is not an untruth.
That being said, their list isn't very good. Rucks are good, possibly my favourite pairing in the league with Hille and Ryder. But as said, midfield needs some polish, and forwards and backs are meh.

Agree mostly with that. Since 2000 Essendons midfield has been a huge problem. Even now we only really have an A-grade in Watson.

As for our forwards and backs. You need to remember we just got rid of Lloyd and Lucas and are looking at how to fill that gap. Fletch is still there but certainly not the player he was.

Essendon have some fantastic new blood at both ends though. I would caution that we have some of the best up-and-coming KPP's in the league. Argue that if you can...? Fact is though, our KKP kids are just too young to be there yet, they need some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When has any rookie forward (that's basically what Gumby was last year, regardless of age) ever shown the ability to win a game off their own boot?

It took Brown 3-4 years for him to show that ability.

hurley ftw?

essendon never had the worst list, they didn't finish last last year did they?

will be 13-7 this year imo, those teams just outside the top 8 are pretty even at the moment

Agree mostly with that. Since 2000 Essendons midfield has been a huge problem. Even now we only really have an A-grade in Watson.

As for our forwards and backs. You need to remember we just got rid of Lloyd and Lucas and are looking at how to fill that gap. Fletch is still there but certainly not the player he was.

Essendon have some fantastic new blood at both ends though. I would caution that we have some of the best up-and-coming KPP's in the league. Argue that if you can...? Fact is though, our KKP kids are just too young to be there yet, they need some time.

Agree completely. Hurley will be amazing one day. You guys always seem to have good talls, and develop them nicely. Give them a few years and I expect you will be going a lot better.
In those few years you are developing the talls, I would expect you will be trying to add some polish to your mids, as well as getting a couple of other quality players.

Until we are a few weeks into the season proper I wont be making a judgement, NAB cup is rarely an indication of a team, Carlton won a few years back and the hype around them going into the season was ridiculous. If the bombers had won yesterday it'd have been a similar scenario going forward.

Your forward line is the concern and teams with a decent defense could shut down scoreboard pressure. But as i said, when the season starts we will truly know how good or bad Essendon are.

Our forward line is a worry.....?

We've never struggled to kick goals. It might not be an A1 forward line but there is enough talent there to test the opposition and quite good chemistry I think with Monfries, Hurley, Jetta, Davey, Hille, Ryder, Crameri, Zaharakis amongst others. There is plenty of speed and contested marking ability there.

They have a bottom 4 list and this is why they finished bottom 4 in 2010. Until Hird can take them out of the bottom 4 Essendon supporters have no case. Blame Knights all you like but if you don't have the players you don't get many wins - and yes they made the finals a few years ago but a 96 point hiding proved they were fodder for the good teams.

Also another trade period passed and Essendon did not land a big fish that may have helped improve their situtaion. Maybe they are now gun shy after the 1 million dollars over 3 years for Mark Williams disater.

They have a bottom 4 list and this is why they finished bottom 4 in 2010. Until Hird can take them out of the bottom 4 Essendon supporters have no case. Blame Knights all you like but if you don't have the players you don't get many wins - and yes they made the finals a few years ago but a 96 point hiding proved they were fodder for the good teams.

Also another trade period passed and Essendon did not land a big fish that may have helped improve their situtaion. Maybe they are now gun shy after the 1 million dollars over 3 years for Mark Williams disater.

I might add though in that Final against Adelaide we pretty much fielded half our VFL side. Wouldn't of won by an stretch of imagination but i hate how people act like we fielded our best against them. and plus were terrible interstate :eek:

Essendons list is ok but we really need some guys who are good at finishing off their good work.

Trying to rank sides on NAB cup form is completely stupid. Essendon will probably be in that 9th-12th range. It would probably still be a surprise to most people if they made the finals, but seriously who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back