Is Essendon's list still the worst in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Williams has played a single season for us.

Also, this is a ****ing pathetic thread.

Kicked 6 goals for year and was paid over 300k. He was clearly worst player on the gound last night and even the Essendon supporters do not want him in the round 1 team and I don't blame them.

Gotta love Kings Army !!!

Thanks Johnny - I just tell it how it is. Essendon finished 14th on the ladder. This is a fact and based on this fact I rate your list 14th best.

Now you can guess the players did not like Knights or you can guess Knights was a poor coach and you can also guess that Jimmy Hird is the answer - but I prefer to stick to facts.

When has any rookie forward (that's basically what Gumby was last year, regardless of age) ever shown the ability to win a game off their own boot?

It took Brown 3-4 years for him to show that ability.

Come on, your nose will grow if you keep that up Pinochio.

Rookie tall forwards are slow starters while they wait for physical development. Gumbleton is nearly 23 and was more than sufficiently physically mature 12 months ago. And yet the younger and physically immature Lachie Henderson performed comprehensively better.

Our forward line is a worry.....?

We've never struggled to kick goals. It might not be an A1 forward line but there is enough talent there to test the opposition and quite good chemistry I think with Monfries, Hurley, Jetta, Davey, Hille, Ryder, Crameri, Zaharakis amongst others. There is plenty of speed and contested marking ability there.

You've named two ruckmen and Hurley (who 12 months ago was "gunna" be a forward star - same song, different year.) The rest are bit part players including your top scorer from 2010, Monfries.

That is indeed a worry. At least you left Fumbleton out of your list.

Thanks Johnny - I just tell it how it is. Essendon finished 14th on the ladder. This is a fact and based on this fact I rate your list 14th best.

Now you can guess the players did not like Knights or you can guess Knights was a poor coach and you can also guess that Jimmy Hird is the answer - but I prefer to stick to facts.

The fact we finished 14th in 2010 is reflective of the fact we had the 14th best list in 2010. The thread is asking about our list ATM, 2011. Based on your logic, Fremantle had the 14th best list last season - yet managed to finish 6th and win a final???

It is not the WORST list in the league. But from an outside POV this is what you guys lack:

1) 2-3 stand-out-brownlow-winning-capable-players. Yes, that's a pretty big title! But i look at your list and i can't see a player who could win a brownlow. I know that means shit all because it's a team sport, but history says that premiership teams have at least 2-3 players that have/can/should win a brownlow.

2) Your backline looks vulnerable to me, but it somehow works! I think star players in the backline are over-rated in this current era of football - i think consistency between each player's ability and potential are now preferred - which Essendon seem to have... ATM. Give it 1,2 or even 3 injuries back there, and it could very quickly fall apart.

3)I actually think your forward line is very dangerous. Williams and Jetta are very dangerous when the ball is on the ground and both have a good set of hands. I know a lot of people are writing Williams off as a 'dud' but i just think he needs to lift his work rate. Changing something as simple as that will see him return to 2007-like form. Davey's in that same boat as Jetta when he's down there. Also one fella i really like is Hurley. I truly think he is in the same mould as Nick Riewoldt if he stays in the forward line.

4) Your biggest problem is your Midfield. Yes, it is even, but if there's one part of the ground you can't compromise on having star players in, it is the Midfield. Once again, history states that premiership teams have 2-4 A+ players in their midfield. The only one i can see achieving that feat is Watson. Play this year out, and then I would say trade vigorously for at least 2 experienced midfielders later this year.

Having said all that, i hope you team goes very badly this year, as i hate them more than anything :D:rolleyes:

Essendon fans are getting a tad carried away at their prospects based on preseason form. They still have the 2nd poorest midfield in the AFL & nothing has really changed in that regard.

We are still a bottom four team until we actually start winning games, pre season form means jack and a lot of our fans seem to be getting carried away. Not expecting finals this year and theres a lot of young sides like us knocking on the finals (north, melb, adelaide, etc) so a few will have to miss out.

Really? accodring to many it is the worst list in the comp. Accoding to who because I have note seen or heard anyone suggest its the worst list.

This looks like an attempt to talk up your list by telling untruths.

Really? You haven't been on Big Footy much lately have you?

I think Hurley will dominate if given a fulltime spot in the forward line. Very skillful player. Ryder is good in any position. Dempsey has been a favourite of mine in defense. Plus a host of decent up and coming talent. Not the worst list by a long shot.

I think Hurley will dominate if given a fulltime spot in the forward line. Very skillful player. Ryder is good in any position. Dempsey has been a favourite of mine in defense. Plus a host of decent up and coming talent. Not the worst list by a long shot.

If Hurley is giving a full time spot in the forward line yes he will only get better but that's only if injuries don't take part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hurley will be the best CHF since Carey.

Most will say this is an outlandish statement but i posted similar thoughts last season.

Carey as a 19 yo played 21 games and ave. 14 disposals, 5 marks and 1.8 goals a game

Hurley as a 19yo played 19 games and ave. 16 disposals, 5 marks and 0.6 goals but played half his matches in defence.

Most will say this is an outlandish statement but i posted similar thoughts last season.

Carey as a 19 yo played 21 games and ave. 14 disposals, 5 marks and 1.8 goals a game

Hurley as a 19yo played 19 games and ave. 16 disposals, 5 marks and 0.6 goals but played half his matches in defence.

LOL...this post is Hodgepodgesque!

HP would be proud!

Definately not the worst list in the comp, but buried deep in the middle of the pack.
Well done on a good preseason. The regular season is what counts - time will tell.

You gotta be kidding me. You just find any facts you think will support your ridiculous blind hatred of Essendon.

Why the obsession!!

Definately not the worst list in the comp, but buried deep in the middle of the pack.
Well done on a good preseason. The regular season is what counts - time will tell.

Pretty much that.

And for those saying our list is the same as it was last year... you're wrong. Hird & Thompson have come in.

I was impressed by Essendon throughout the entire NAB Cup. I doubt they have the worst list, and I think they'll trouble some top sides this year. How far can they go? I wouldn't be surprised if they finished above Carlton.

Essendon fans are getting a tad carried away at their prospects based on preseason form. They still have the 2nd poorest midfield in the AFL & nothing has really changed in that regard.

Sorry but this is utter BS. Essendon fans have probably changed their perceptions less than neutral fans. Have a look at the ladder predictions thread for factual proof of this. Prior to the NAB cup almost all neutrals had Essendon finishing bottom 2-3, now most of them have us significantly higher.

The simply fact of the matter is Essendon's list is as good as the Bigfooty groupthink machine tells you it is, at any given time. Prior to the NAB our list was the worst in the AFL, now it isn't the worst. If we lose a couple of games it will be the worst again. This is how Bigfooty operates.

They have a bottom 4 list and this is why they finished bottom 4 in 2010. Until Hird can take them out of the bottom 4 Essendon supporters have no case. Blame Knights all you like but if you don't have the players you don't get many wins -

Nice simplistic logic you use there, pal.

How come 887 of you last 900 posts on the main board have been about Essendon? I'm actually starting to get worried for you. Are you ok? Which Essendon person put away your mum?

Our list needs a lot of work still. The foundation is there with some promising youngsters (Hurley, Melksham, Hibberd, Heppell etc). We are still a good 3 or 4 years away from challenging, that would be the time our talls begin to hit their straps, and by that time we would have (hopefully) drafted in more young midfielders to compliment the talls. I wouldn't say we have the worst list, it just underperformed last year, and I think that with Hird, Thompson, McCartney and co. we can really start to improve and build up to become a force again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back