Is Essendon's list still the worst in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When has any rookie forward (that's basically what Gumby was last year, regardless of age) ever shown the ability to win a game off their own boot?

It took Brown 3-4 years for him to show that ability.

Brown kicked 7 goals in a game at the age of 19 in his 19th game he'd definitely shown it in his first 3-4 seasons, Gumby's best is 3. It's not panic stations yet with him because Chris Dawes was drafted 26 picks later and is only just starting to come into his own. But there is one concern I'd have with Gumby and that's that he has zero presence. All the good KPF have that "I'm the effing man" look about them Hurley definitely has it, Brown, Buddy, Dawes, Pavlich and both Reiwoldts all have it hell even Walker at the crows has it there's just an arrogance about them. That's why there's queries on guys like Watts, Grant and Henderson because they don't have it.

Finally has he ever been tried in defence? Because with his body shape and size he looks an absolute clone of Fletcher, he's even got those damn inspector gadget like arms as well. His skills might not be as good as Fletchers and he might not have the same closing speed, but it might be food for thought in the future if he doesn't make it as a KPF.

Brown kicked 7 goals in a game at the age of 19 in his 19th game he'd definitely shown it in his first 3-4 seasons, Gumby's best is 3. It's not panic stations yet with him because Chris Dawes was drafted 26 picks later and is only just starting to come into his own. But there is one concern I'd have with Gumby and that's that he has zero presence. All the good KPF have that "I'm the effing man" look about them Hurley definitely has it, Brown, Buddy, Dawes, Pavlich and both Reiwoldts all have it hell even Walker at the crows has it there's just an arrogance about them. That's why there's queries on guys like Watts, Grant and Henderson because they don't have it.

Finally has he ever been tried in defence? Because with his body shape and size he looks an absolute clone of Fletcher, he's even got those damn inspector gadget like arms as well. His skills might not be as good as Fletchers and he might not have the same closing speed, but it might be food for thought in the future if he doesn't make it as a KPF.

I agree with most of what you have said here. :thumbsu:

Just on Brown. It should be noted that he started out with Lynch and Bradshaw next to him and he had one of the best midfields of all time handing it to him on a platter.

I've also thought about Gumby in defence. I think he did play a bit of junior footy there and he is perfectly suited to CHB.

Well according to many at least, it was the worst list in the league going into this pre-season. I am just wondering if that view is till widely held. Good effort against a good Collingwood team suggests that the Dons can be, if nothing else, competitive this year.
I'm not sure who thought Essendon has the worst list in the AFL. I think West Coast and Brisbane do. Essendon are a finals contender.

The only supporters who should be commenting on this thread are Collingwood ones as they have the best list in the comp. These Carlton flogs telling us our deficiantcies as well as the Bulldogs is BS. Carlton have beaten us once in 5 seasons & their telling us supporters the negatives of our list! Ya all can get F*****!! There are 15 clubs with weaknesses so why dont we create a thread on that?

Which I agree with tbh, although I saw some guys in the pre season (Heppell, Melksham, Hocking hopefully to take another step up) that will hopefully fill a void there.

Hocking is a one sided list clogger.

Too early to call on Heppell. Melksham may blossom into a Barlow style mid, will all depend on how he develops his tank.

Not really a dynamic mid in sight though.

I dont understand why Jetta isnt left to own devices in the middle, yes he's aboriginal and small, but that doesnt necessarily mean he's a small forward.

I tell you what, i'd rather work with Essendons list than Kyarltons. More potential and upside.
Where is the upside in a list that is still reliant on Fletcher and Hille who are both 30 plus?

Carlton doesn't have any 30 plus veterans who are important cogs in our structure. This view is as flawed as the theory that the Bombers are going to find A grade midfielders and develop them to peak the same time as their spine. Or the belief that Watson is an A grade midfielder. Watson is as A grade as Simpson who is the same age and needs to improve his set shots.

Essendon's spine is overrated. Hurley and Pears are the only two KPP who would be chased by every club. Too many question marks against Gumbleton's body and Hooker's decision making. Too early to label Carlisle a star just yet.
Dawes has arrogance and more presence than Henderson?

Dawes shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as these players.

In round six, Henderson more than held his own against Dawes after he was switched to the backline.

You need to watch more Carlton games after Henderson outmarked Deledio last year and proceeded to rub it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUF5k7I0Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQajll7L84E

:D

I don't think our list was ever the worst in the league, but it wasn't too far off that. We have some good key positions players in Hurley, Pears and Hooker as well as the perennially injured Gumby. Hurley showed some great signs in the NAB final and looks ready to take a few games this year by the scruff. Bellchambers showed in the NAB he's ready to take over from Hille. The main problem remains the midfield and we need a couple more drafts to rectify this. Melksham should become a good player, but Watson still needs a lot more help.

FWIW we have better lists than the following sides and should finish above them.

Brisbane
West Coast
Gold Coast
Port
Richmond

I think we'll battle with Freo, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Adelaide for those lower eight positions.

EDIT: General, you can't seriously brag about Henderson giving Dids a bit of lip after outmarking someone so much smaller? What I think Hurley has, along with the best forwards is presence. That feeling that something will happen when the ball goes near him. It's what the best forwards have, and unforunately I haven't yet seen it in Gumby. I don't think Hendo has developed that, but he has time.

Also it's a very harsh call on Hocking. He's never going to be a Pendlebury, but he's the honest citizen that every team needs. He also gives his all, is tough and is normally a good decision maker. 2nd in our B and F is a pretty good result (even in a bad year).

Hocking is a one sided list clogger.

Too early to call on Heppell. Melksham may blossom into a Barlow style mid, will all depend on how he develops his tank.

Not really a dynamic mid in sight though.

I dont understand why Jetta isnt left to own devices in the middle, yes he's aboriginal and small, but that doesnt necessarily mean he's a small forward.
That's bullocks, you aren't runner up in last year's B&F (albeit in a poor team) by being a list clogger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Matty Knights needs a little bit of congratulations instead of all the hate he gets. He had to transition the poor list that Sheedy left and get rid of the old players that were starting to list clog like Lucas and Lloyd and refresh the list. Hird is just piggy backing on that work by doing what Knights pretty much said was his plan anyway, teach attack then bring in the defense.

That's bullocks, you aren't runner up in last year's B&F (albeit in a poor team) by being a list clogger.

Umm...

Pridd_pose246x316d.jpg

Yeah they can.

Perhaps Matty Knights needs a little bit of congratulations instead of all the hate he gets. He had to transition the poor list that Sheedy left and get rid of the old players that were starting to list clog like Lucas and Lloyd and refresh the list. Hird is just piggy backing on that work by doing what Knights pretty much said was his plan anyway, teach attack then bring in the defense.

Knights wasn't all bad, and he has recruited some absolute gems for us (Hurley/Melksham, among others). However, for whatever reason, Knights just couldn't seem to coach on gameday, and it hasn't just been at Essendon either (if you want examples I'd be more than happy to provide them). How come it wasn't until Knights left that we've finally seem some accountability in regards to defense in all areas of the ground? Funny how the defense was 'brought in' once Knights left, I wonder why that would be?

Where is the upside in a list that is still reliant on Fletcher and Hille who are both 30 plus?

Essendon's spine is overrated. Hurley and Pears are the only two KPP who would be chased by every club. Too many question marks against Gumbleton's body and Hooker's decision making. Too early to label Carlisle a star just yet.

Pears 20
Hooker 22
Bellchambers 21
Hurley 20
Ryder 22

with
Carlisle 19
Gumbleton 22
developing
J Daniher 16,
in a few years
chances are we will get a few absolute beauties out of all the players named above.
Ryder playing much more forward can only be a good thing.

I also think that's a load of tripe in regards to Priddis as well, severely underrated due to playing in a side that kicks the ball to the opposition more than it does to it's teammates.

And whose fault is that?

Priddis is a serial butcher, he is stagnant, slow and has this uncanny ability to slow the play down, especially by hand.

Always handballing behind his teammates.

He has average skills. He is a certified ball magnet granted, but more often than not his disposal does not advance the play.

Hocking is a better player but that isnt saying much.

And whose fault is that?

Priddis is a serial butcher, he is stagnant, slow and has this uncanny ability to slow the play down, especially by hand.

Always handballing behind his teammates.

He has average skills. He is a certified ball magnet granted, but more often than not his disposal does not advance the play.

Hocking is a better player but that isnt saying much.
What I'm saying is Priddis can't do much if kicks that are intended for him are going OOTF, or his disposals to teammates eventually go on to be turned over as well. He isn't perfect, but to say Priddis (or Hocking for that matter, who has his faults as well, don't get me wrong) are list cloggers is criminal. Not every midfielder needs to bolt out of packs ala Ablett/Judd/Swan and kick goals on the run to be important to their side.

not even close, it was more about the direction you were going in that made your list look below average. the good thing is, apart from fletcher and hille, your senior players arent the keys to your team.

brisbane, west coast, port and us have worst lists, but i think you can finish anywhere between 8-12.

Knights wasn't all bad, and he has recruited some absolute gems for us (Hurley/Melksham, among others).
He's the head recruiter?

However, for whatever reason, Knights just couldn't seem to coach on gameday,
That's his job!

So he is good at someone elses job which he probably has little influence on. But bad at his job.

Poor coach.

He's the head recruiter?

That's his job!

So he is good at someone elses job which he probably has little influence on. But bad at his job.

Poor coach.
Exactly, Knights was the coach and was a shit one as well. Lost the support of senior players and had a shit game plan. Our skills never improved and there was zero defence. Hird has already shown an emphasis on defensive footy which has seen us play better footy. Keane and Dodoro deserve the credit for the likes of Hurley, Heppel, Melksham, etc. IICR Knights wanted Sidebottom but Dodoro picked Hurley, I love Sidebottom but Hurley will be something special.

Really? You haven't been on Big Footy much lately have you?

If you asking if I spend all day and everyday on bigfooty like some on here then no I havn't been on much lately but on the times I have been on I dont ever recall anyone saying essendon have the worst list in the afl. I think most people with atleast half a brain realise that at the very least Brisbane and the Gold coast at the moment have worst lists(in terms of where they are right now)

I have however seen a number of people say Essendon have a poor list and I would agree with that. Aside from maybe Hurley from what I saw on Friday night I can't see Essendon being a major threat this year and I would except them to finish somewhere from about 14th to 8th.

Dawes has arrogance and more presence than Henderson?

Dawes shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as these players.

In round six, Henderson more than held his own against Dawes after he was switched to the backline.

You need to watch more Carlton games after Henderson outmarked Deledio last year and proceeded to rub it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwUF5k7I0Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQajll7L84E

Are you serious or just totally deluded??? He out marked Deledio a guy he has 8cm and 10 kilos on, the commentators themselves state that it was a poor match up for the Tigers :rolleyes:

Oh you mean the game that was Chris Dawes 12th career game where he helped himself to 17 disposals 10 marks 3 goals and 4 behinds, yeah the big H definitely held his own!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109239/default.aspx

That article is why I listed Dawes with those other players, he has come a long way of late and has developed as a competitor. He was the leading goalkicker in the NAB cup by 2 goals despite only playing 3 matches.

There's a lot more to do with arrogance and presence than getting in someone's face (let alone a former team-mate) Didak does that rubbish all the time i.e remember his toe-toe with Hayes in the GF replay. Does Didak have presence? No, he's just a smart arse, which is exactly what Henderson was in both those instances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back