Is Gary Ablett Jr cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to think the same with Cyril. He was the definition of a downhill skier.

Everyone said he was a barometer, but I tended to think the team was the barometer and if Hawthorn was doing well then he'd be skiing downhill with them.
Bloody school holidays. :rolleyes: Still another week left of these kind of shit replies.:(

Think they need to manage Ablett if they want him at 100% come finals - problem is they've dropped a few games and don't have that finals spot locked down.

He's still capable of turning a game by himself if they manage him; having him bashed around week-to-week in the midfield doesn't seem to be working.

In my opinion, they should play him as a small forward / half-forward and only push him up in to the midfield when they need the rotation or to change the mix-up. No point bringing him in to play well in big finals, then letting him get beaten up all season.

Hanners is more of a concern if you ask me, but about Gaz, he is 34, and not sure if you’ve watched him much this season but he has looked slower in pretty much every game. Still averaging 28 and just under a goal, the concern is his defensive efforts and tackling which is well down from his time at the GC.

He looked proppy after the game, so although we NEED to win next week we may need to rest him, bring in Menzel and play Danger in the midfield.

Gaz put in 2 tackles tonight (best was Jones with 11), 2 last week (best on our team was 6), 3 against Richmond (best on our team was 9), had 8 versus North (Equal best with Joel), none versus GC (everyone claimed was his best game, it was a very attacking game that we won by a massive margin though).

Guess it depends on his role in the team that week and if he is outside or inside. But to suggest he isn't putting in is a tad misleading. 9 i50 and if we weren't so inaccurate he would have had a fair few goal assists and then we would be talking about how effective Gaz was with 17 touches and our 10 goal Sydney pounding.

Gaz is shit, always has been his whole career:huh:
Give it a spell, I think the little master has enough runs on the board to have one down night.
He is a gun and it would be a foolish person to write a champion off.
He may need a rest, if he is sore but I have no doubt he has more to offer as the season continues.
What is his injury status post match. Calf/hammy would see him out for the next month given his age and history

Until last night he was averaging exactly 30 disposals per game this season. The rest is fairly accurate. Ball in hand, in most games this season he's been our most reliable player. Better skills than Selwood and Dangerfield, and better game sense than Duncan.

I wish we had an over the Hill midfielder averaging just under 30 touches a game with multiple best on grounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you couldn't answer the question without deflecting and potting the opposition.

Regarding GAJ, not cooked, but has reached the stage of his career where he's icing but no longer the cake. You can't build a midfield around him anymore and he's just not the weapon you put most of the work into negating in his team.
Read past the first line and you'd see I answered the question, and it's hardly potting the opposition pointing out that based on last night's game the more concerning player on the ground was Hannebery in his prime years. Don't be so precious.

Here are Ablett's past four games leading up to this one:

Vs Gold Coast: 37 disposals, 3 goals,
Vs North Melbourne: 34 disposals, 1 goal, 8 tackles
Vs Richmond: 25 disposals, 1 goal, 7 inside 50s
Vs Bulldogs: 30 disposals, 1 goal

Then he has one quiet game last night, one match in a five week block, and he's clearly cooked apparently. Reactionary thread.

Read past the first line and you'd see I answered the question, and it's hardly potting the opposition pointing out that based on last night's game the more concerning player on the ground was Hannebery in his prime years. Don't be so precious.

Here are Ablett's past four games leading up to this one:

Vs Gold Coast: 37 disposals, 3 goals,
Vs North Melbourne: 34 disposals, 1 goal, 8 tackles
Vs Richmond: 25 disposals, 1 goal, 7 inside 50s
Vs Bulldogs: 30 disposals, 1 goal

Then he has one quiet game last night, one match in a five week block, and he's clearly cooked apparently. Reactionary thread.

Yet if he was 28 it would just be a one off game. As soon as you get to the GAJ age every little blip in form will be jumped upon.

The bont, Cripps, Merrett and a host of other young gun players have had below par games this year, doesn’t mean their finished

Classic deflection.
Hahaha,
Yeah lets deflect from the OP by flinging mud on his entire career instead.

FWIW
Ablett averages more Contested possessions, contested marks, 1%'ers, and more than double the amount of tackles per game compared to Harvey. So who's the unaccountable selfish one.

Hahaha,
Yeah lets deflect from the OP by flinging mud on his entire career instead.

FWIW
Ablett averages more Contested possessions, contested marks, 1%'ers, and more than double the amount of tackles per game compared to Harvey. So who's the unaccountable selfish one.
Why are you talking about Brent Harvey?

One day your good...The next its all over. I dont think GAJ is there yet. He still has the potential to turn games on its head

He’s not going to be a consistent 30+ poss player like he was. He’s going to be a foot soldier most weeks, and be an absolute match winner on occasion.

Meanwhile, he's averaging 28.82 disposals per game this year (34.89% contested), the most at Geelong.

Not cooked but his workload is too high for a 34 year old. Isn't being particularly well managed so could be banged up come september if the cats play finals. Both Ablett and Dangerfield looked really sore out there...

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Gary Ablett Jr cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back