Mitcha

All Australian
Jan 19, 2005
Out West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
I cannot believe Kieran McGuinness was selected for last Saturday nights game. We dropped McCormack (a runner) and brought this bloke in. A player who has no leg speed and no body strength in a contest. With the loss of two more runners during the game we had no run at the finish. The match committee have got most things right this year but we lost this one at the selection table. McGuinness would have to be the worst player ever to represent our club. Faulkner may also have played himself off the list and surely Rohan Smith will be tapped on the shoulder at the end of the year and told to retire. He is unaccountable and refuses to work when the opposition has the footy. A great servant of the club but the time has come.

I don't think Faulkner was that bad. His free was stupid and a bit late but the opposition player made it look worse than it was. He's in the side to be aggressive and do those things and I don't think it warrants him being dropped. Smith is def. on the edge for me - but I think his experience will still be needed next year. He'll be able to only play certain games like Grant and be used more as an impact player. I think he can still play a role. The other stuff, I agree.

I was going to post something similar, although my real question is who is worse: Tony Shaw as a commentator or Kieran McGuinness as a footballer?

K-Mac seemed to do everything wrong on Saturday night and was dragged more than once. How Cam Wight doesn't get back in after doing OK in a couple of games is beyond me. We're going to need at least Wight or Skipper when we take on the Saints in a couple of weeks.

Watching Foxtel, Tony Shaw was an awful, awful commentator and bagged the Bulldogs at every opportunity. Even when we broke 3 goals clear he was barracking for Port to come back. Thank god Stuart Dew didn't kick the winning goal as I couldn't bear him any longer.

Smith needs to go at the end of this year to space out the retirements of our older players. Smith at end of 06, Grant at end of 07, Darcy at end of 08, Westy at end of 09. That is of course if injuries dont get hold of them earlier. Probably too much to expect a good injury run at any stage.

Why was he picked? Can't run, ordinary skills, not quick, can't mark, can't defend !
I don't expect him to get best on ground but at least do the basics! Dropping an uncontested chest mark early in the game, what was that? Being run down from behind in the last quarter when the game was tight, casually strolled around like he was at Weribee!
Might be good bloke but not an AFL footballer IMO. Worst player to put the jumper on since Ben Sexton!!!

Yeah we're all a tad peeved off -and KMAC has offered himself up more than once this year to let the aggression out.

KMAC - you're all spot on.

Faulkner - did that one stupid thing, and a few minor silly things. I thought he was ok though

Eaglle - if it wasn't so hot it would've almost been a blessing that he got injured. Was playing v v v soft early on.

Smith - soft as a few times. but we need him. should be played deep forward or off the bench - he was never going to do much off a back flank which is where he seemed to be at the start

Tony Shaw - thankgod the pub I was at had the vol down. He and Shane Crawford (now on 3AW) give new meaning to the 'special' comments - good to see we're giving those who are a little slow in the head a chance I guess

Kmac isn't the best but surely he isn't the worst ever. I think we forget some of the shockers of the past. Mark Cullen comes to mind amongst many others.

Surely his time has come now. He will only ever be a decent VFL footballer it seems.

Smithy is in a heap of strife. Spoke to an official earlier in the year and he indicated that a hard decision was likely to be made on him this year. Has been a great player but now makes too many mistakes and forever seems to bomb it in long to our midget forward line. Not too smart and not something that you would expect from an experienced player.

Wasn't K-Mac's opponent for most of the night Toby Thurstans? That is, after Thurstans kicked 2 quick goals on Harris. K-Mac held him to one handpass in each of the second and third quarters, and kept him mark-less in that time, which was directly related to K-Mac getting in some good spoils. Thurstans came back into it in the last quarter, but even including that, K-Mac held him to 4 marks and 7 possies in three quarters. Given the way Thurstans started the game, that is hardly an awful performance.

K-Mac wasn't very good when trying to do anything outside of his defensive duties, and his fumbling clumsiness is obviously all most people can see, but in this particular game he did a very solid defensive job for the most part.

Pembleton said:
Wasn't K-Mac's opponent for most of the night Toby Thurstans? That is, after Thurstans kicked 2 quick goals on Harris. K-Mac held him to one handpass in each of the second and third quarters, and kept him mark-less in that time, which was directly related to K-Mac getting in some good spoils. Thurstans came back into it in the last quarter, but even including that, K-Mac held him to 4 marks and 7 possies in three quarters. Given the way Thurstans started the game, that is hardly an awful performance.

K-Mac wasn't very good when trying to do anything outside of his defensive duties, and his fumbling clumsiness is obviously all most people can see, but in this particular game he did a very solid defensive job for the most part.

I thought he was matched up on White for extended periods of the game.

K-Mac is really being unfairly used as a scapegoat here, but it's an internet forum and expecting more from the masses is naive.

He did well in his pure defensive role but was awful when trying to gaining possesion himself and did not help out his team mates by cutting off passes and covering other players when needed. One pass he should have cut off was very obvious, as was his clumsiness. These incidents were alot more obvious than the good little defensive things he did when one on one with Thurstans. Where KMac is with his career it's understandable for him to be "selfish" and only focusing on his own man.

Question for Rocco and Pembleton - would you have accepted his performance from anyone else in the side? Or have you set lower standards for him. Just interested in your thoughts.

rodogs said:
Question for Rocco and Pembleton - would you have accepted his performance from anyone else in the side? Or have you set lower standards for him. Just interested in your thoughts.

I said he was good in his defensive role and awful in trying when it was time to gain possesion, cut off passes and cover others when needed. So hardly a glowing endorsement. I just think when he did wrong was very obvious to viewers ie fumbling, looking on instead of cutting pass (one in particular) while the small defensive things he did well would have been far less obvious.

In answer to your question, as I said in my earlier post I understand how K-Mac can be "selfish" and only be thinking of his own defensive job considering where he is in his career and will excuse clumsiness a bit more if the player has not be allowed to string a few senior games together (not saying that he should have been selected more often).

rodogs said:

Thats a fair question. My opinion of K-Mac's game is not at all particularly positive, so its not really a matter of accepting his performace. I would like to see him dropped this week.

I did think K-Mac did some solid spoiling work for most of the match. I also think it is pretty easy for a hack to do ok defensively when you are playing in slippery type conditions. The other thing is that the defensive side of it is only one aspect of your role in the backline these days, and K-Mac gave us nothing (except dodgy ball handling and poor decision making) in any other area. I think Wight should definately have been in the team instead of him.

So no, i don't think i have lowered my standards for K-Mac or anything, i just don't think he was as bad as what the vocal masses seem to think he was, which isn't saying much, given the gratuitous smashing he is copping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pembleton said:

Seems to be a fair factual based assessment - whatsupwithat???

If he was on White for the first 3 quarters he would have had 13 possies on him and 1 goal. I think Pembleton is right that after quarter time he was on Thurstans who did not get a kick in the second or third quarters, which would explain why KMac was not sighted.

Pettigrew kicked a couple of goals on him which was bad. Prior to that he was not in the play much but did not do too much wrong either. Dropping the chest mark was a shocker but maybe just nerves.

Rather than saying he is not up to it I think it is more accurate to say the club and he have not been able to get the best out of him, same with Bowden who is now doing well at Richmond.

Its crap to say he is our worst player ever.

Red White Blue said:
You can't blame the club for KMacs inadequacies as a player...........

I'm not - but the club is partly responsible for developing players and giving them opportunities.
In my view, one way or the other, KMac has not got the best out of himself whether that is all his fault or not is another matter.

Mitcha said:
I cannot believe Kieran McGuinness was selected for last Saturday nights game. We dropped McCormack (a runner) and brought this bloke in. A player who has no leg speed and no body strength in a contest. With the loss of two more runners during the game we had no run at the finish. The match committee have got most things right this year but we lost this one at the selection table. McGuinness would have to be the worst player ever to represent our club. Faulkner may also have played himself off the list and surely Rohan Smith will be tapped on the shoulder at the end of the year and told to retire. He is unaccountable and refuses to work when the opposition has the footy. A great servant of the club but the time has come.
agree on everything except faulkener, stupid thing he did on saturday night. shocking selection wight has more mobility and he's 6ft 100.

Fossie 32 said:

If he was on White for the first 3 quarters he would have had 13 possies on him and 1 goal. I think Pembleton is right that after quarter time he was on Thurstans who did not get a kick in the second or third quarters, which would explain why KMac was not sighted.

Pettigrew kicked a couple of goals on him which was bad. Prior to that he was not in the play much but did not do too much wrong either. Dropping the chest mark was a shocker but maybe just nerves.

Rather than saying he is not up to it I think it is more accurate to say the club and he have not been able to get the best out of him, same with Bowden who is now doing well at Richmond.

what utter garbage, so he drops a chest mark because he's nervous :eek: :eek: it's the clubs fault he couldn't get the best out of himself more tripe.listen matey stop defending this guy it's becoming a joke. Btw not the worst player we've ever had terry dekonning hands down.

paul scholes said:
what utter garbage, so he drops a chest mark because he's nervous :eek: :eek: it's the clubs fault he couldn't get the best out of himself more tripe.listen matey stop defending this guy it's becoming a joke. Btw not the worst player we've ever had terry dekonning hands down.

No - you stop knifing him!

:D

I don't think he played well, but who did? Lets stick to the facts.
I said I'm not blaming the club for not getting the most out of him. But some players they do and some they don't - eg Bowden.

At least we agree he's NOT the worst - that IS utter garbage.

:)

Pembleton said:
Wasn't K-Mac's opponent for most of the night Toby Thurstans? That is, after Thurstans kicked 2 quick goals on Harris. K-Mac held him to one handpass in each of the second and third quarters, and kept him mark-less in that time, which was directly related to K-Mac getting in some good spoils.

Agreed. I think some are looking for a scapegoat for any loss and K-Mac appears to have taken over from Harrison as this years target.
If he is such a bad player then shouldn't Eade be the focus of all the attention because after all he selected him?

Fossie 32 said:

Are you related to him or something? That is the only reason someone would stick up for him as a footballer. He is a shocking player. Not up to it.

bulldogrob said:
Are you related to him or something? That is the only reason someone would stick up for him as a footballer. He is a shocking player. Not up to it.

I stuck up for him and I'm not related to him. I think he should not play another game for the club either, just that some comments on this board have been very extreme. Grey is a shade most tend to struggle to see.

bulldogrob said:

Yeah, good to see he has a few cousins on here.
A couple of reasons for 'sticking up' for KMac

1 he is my 'Adopted player' so I like to accentuate the positive rather than the negative

2 He is on the Western Bulldogs list, so my wish is that he and the club can get the best out of him which can only be a GOOD thing.

Fossie 32 said:
Yeah, good to see he has a few cousins on here.
A couple of reasons for 'sticking up' for KMac

1 he is my 'Adopted player' so I like to accentuate the positive rather than the negative

2 He is on the Western Bulldogs list, so my wish is that he and the club can get the best out of him which can only be a GOOD thing.
I agree with you Fossie. Good on you for sticking up for him, but the time has come to let go. He's been demonised as far worse than he is (and he's pretty bad), he doesn't have more to give and there is nothing for K-Mac or the dogs to get out of a future relationship. Sorry to say (to you) that its over and lets look to brighter times with my adoptee Trav Baird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back