Lingsface

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Looking at South Australian top 10 picks since 2018 drafted to non SA clubs. It seems as though the go home factor is very strong for these players would this deter some clubs or is it just a bit of a coincidence?

Izak Rankine- Goes home requesting trade
Jack Lukosis- Currently seeking a trade back to SA.

Dylan Stephens- Traded to North Melbourne

Not applicable

JHF- Traded back to SA

Phillipou- Still at St Kilda

2023-
Not applicable

I think you’re ignoring circumstances.

Luko & Gold Coast appear aligned on a move; so it works for both parties.

Rankine I think would’ve stayed if GCS had more success. He still gave them a few really good years.

Stephens wasn’t getting regular games at all, it was a stupid 4 year deal tabled by NMFC so a win for him.

JHF is what he is. Probably the most homesick kid in the lot.

Outside of that I reckon they’re safe if you have the right environment for the players.

Feels like you’ve capped it at 10 to suit your narrative, even just looking at the rest of the first round picks shows it balance more.

Day and Pickett in ‘19.
Powell in ‘20.
Wanganeen-Milera and Aleer in ‘21.
Phillipou in ‘22.

All staying at their current interstate club.

Honestly, I dont think many Adelaide boys would care about playing in Melbourne, because it's only an 8 hour drive by car. It is the closest city to Melbourne besides Canberra. Gold Coast is much further away, which explains Rankine's move. And JHF is just a mommy's boy. He said when he was drafted he didn't want to play outside Adelaide - No player has been this childish in my living memory. I remember A Rocca didnt want to play for Sydney, but he did his time and didn't whinge about it, and kept it professional.

They are the only 2 that are very talented players that wanted to go home. Seems like the go home factor is stronger for WA players imo, particularly the indigenous boys, which also makes sense because all of their family are usually in WA. So I'd be more reluctant with the WA players - If player X from X state and his partner have all their family and friends in X state, is it a risk taking them.

Honestly, I dont think many Adelaide boys would care about playing in Melbourne, because it's only an 8 hour drive by car. It is the closest city to Melbourne besides Canberra. Gold Coast is much further away, which explains Rankine's move. And JHF is just a mommy's boy. He said when he was drafted he didn't want to play outside Adelaide - No player has been this childish in my living memory. I remember A Rocca didnt want to play for Sydney, but he did his time and didn't whinge about it, and kept it professional.

They are the only 2 that are very talented players that wanted to go home. Seems like the go home factor is stronger for WA players imo, particularly the indigenous boys, which also makes sense because all of their family are usually in WA. So I'd be more reluctant with the WA players - If player X from X state and his partner have all their family and friends in X state, is it a risk taking them.
Yes the indigenous boys seem to come home to WA but I’m not sure about now but a few years back there was a quite obvious history of the indigenous boys performing better when interstate. Majority of top line players have had better careers away from their home state. Franklin, Goodes, Farmer, Burgoyne, Headland, Bateman, Betts to name a few. Can not really count NT products because there is no other option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it buyer beware time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back