Is it just me or does Danger fwd remind you of Gaz Snr?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just you. Nobody, I repeat, nobody, Is comparable with Ablett Snr.
You're living in the past.
I mean, there might not be any speccies.
Or a trail of opposition bodies being cleared away by stretcher-bearers..
Or regular 50-60 metre left foot goals on the run.
Or running away from opponents while bouncing the ball 2-handed.
Or a few other things like that.
But apart from that, they could be identical twins.

It's just you. Nobody, I repeat, nobody, Is comparable with Ablett Snr.

I know what you mean.. but every year this kid or that kid is the new X or Y ... I mean Lukiocious the SA kid is the new Riewoldt for example. So to a degree you make comparisons to the benchmark. But yeah.. cant think of too many that can really tick of all the attributes.Danger probably has certain elements of his game which compares to GA sr but he is far from a perfect clone.

Danger is no where near the aerialist .. his kicking although strong is not as good. As far as strength goes and speed id say it would be closer to the mark ..but its a different era.. one look at GA in a singlet and he had such a strong upper body. And he as far as aggression goes GA was another level.. Danger gets a week for a tackle... Ablett just about finished careers when he went thru guys Wayne Johnson is one who I think was never the same.

Last edited:
I know what you mean.. but every year this kid or that kid is the new X or Y ... I mean Lukiocious the SA kid is the new Riewoldt for example. So to a degree you make comparisons to the benchmark. But yeah.. can think of too many that can really tick of al the attributes.Danger probably has certain elements of his game which compares to GA sr but he is far from a perfect clone.

Danger is no where near the aerialist .. his kicking although strong is not as good. As far as strength goes and speed id say it would be closer to the mark ..but its a different era.. one look at GA in a singlet and he had such a strong upper body. And he as far as aggression goes GA was another level.. Danger gets a week for a tackle... Ablett just about finished careers when he went thru guys Wayne Johnson is one who I think was never the same.
Let's go through the attirbutes.

Speed - Ablett Snr on a different level
Power - Ablett Snr on a different level
Strength - Ablett Snr on a different level
Explosiveness - Ablett Snr on a different level
Kicking - Ablett Snr on a different level
Marking - Ablett Snr on a different level
Agility - Ablett Snr on a different level
Physicality - Ablett Snr on a different level
Impact - Ablett Snr on a different level
Ability - Ablett Snr on a different level
Mustache - Ablett Snr on a different level

I hope that sums things up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect his speed is not on a different level at all .. but bowled Lillie caught Marsh ... not worth the debate cause its trying to find a grain of sand on a beach in England that reminds you of a beach here. ..

I suspect his speed is not on a different level at all .. but bowled Lillie caught Marsh ... not worth the debate cause its trying to find a grain of sand on a beach in England that reminds you of a beach here. ..
Ablett Snr in his prime was lighting quick.

Ablett Snr in his prime was lighting quick.

Oh I don't disagree ..I saw enough of Sr to know that. ..just not on a different level to a guy like Danger who himself was lightning quick at his best and fittest. I don't think Sr ever did the GF sprint.. I wonder if he was ever measured over 50 or 100.

Dangerfield has some awesome physical capabilities, and he is fun to watch up forward.

At peak fitness his speed is somewhere in the vicinity of Ablett's.
Like Ablett, he has strength and power.
I'd give Ablett the clear edge in all those physical attribute categories though.

Skill-wise, Dangerfield is decent overhead and can take the odd pack grab. Ablett did it regularly for years, plus his vertical leap and ability to hover is a dimension of his game that Dangerfield just can't approach.
Ablett could spray them at times, but overall his footskills were an extension of his genius; he could do things other players hadn't even considered.
Dangerfield is a long kick; Ablett was a longer kick. On both feet.

Ablett was an artist. Dangerfield doesn't have a fraction of Ablett's Footy IQ, or even his flair.

Can you imagine Dangerfield charging through a contested situation at half-forward and soccering the loose ball off the ground and through the goalposts with all the power and accuracy of Ronaldo? Ablett casually did stuff like that all the time.

Last edited:
Ablett was an artist. Dangerfield doesn't have a fraction of Ablett's Footy IQ, or even his flair.
Ablett had the talent that lifts all the true football geniuses ahead of the "mere" stars, namely he knew what the ball and the other players were going to do, and where they were going to be, before anybody else did.
And then he had the pace, reflexes and strength to exploit that talent.

So it’s a toss of the coin?

I hope not. I turn 50 next week so I hope I've got enough time left to see another come along with his package of talents. If not, at least I got to watch his whole career and from an age where I appreciated all of it.

I'm not all that far behind you, age-wise, but I am pretty resigned to the fact that there will only ever be one Gary Ablett (even though there were two!).

Like you said, the age in which you experience a phenomenon like Ablett sr. is perhaps an influence on how you view a sportsman with his unique abilities.
But maybe not; I know plenty of old-timers who saw Ablett in his pomp and rate him just as highly as I do.
To me Ablett is interchangeable with something like Star Wars, which blew my mind when I first saw it as a young boy; something amazing that you'll never forget, and can never be bettered.

I got a *little* bit of the Ablett magic fix from sportsmen like Shane Warne (yeah yeah) and even more recently Steph Curry, but Ablett produced football miracles on a regular basis when I was at my most passionate and naive as a footy lover.

Happy 50th HHH!

I'm not all that far behind you, age-wise, but I am pretty resigned to the fact that there will only ever be one Gary Ablett (even though there were two!).

Like you said, the age in which you experience a phenomenon like Ablett sr. is perhaps an influence on how you view a sportsman with his unique abilities.
But maybe not; I know plenty of old-timers who saw Ablett in his pomp and rate him just as highly as I do.
To me Ablett is interchangeable with something like Star Wars, which blew my mind when I first saw it as a young boy; something amazing that you'll never forget, and can never be bettered.

I got a *little* bit of the Ablett magic fix from sportsmen like Shane Warne (yeah yeah) and even more recently Steph Curry, but Ablett produced football miracles on a regular basis when I was at my most passionate and naive as a footy lover.

Happy 50th HHH!

I've mentioned on here before that I went to KP and watched Geelong play Sydney in a practice match, Ablett wasn't officially a Cat yet, he was still tied to Hawthorn. I was only able to watch the first half. He was on the wing and kicked something like 2.6 for the half. He was bombing them from everywhere on both feet. After I got home from work, I was talking with my mad Cats supporting mum and she asked me how the match had gone. I said to her that I hope Hawthorn lets us have Ablett.

As for Warnie, as a cricket tragic who played a lot in Geelong 1st grade and around the country once I joined the Navy, if Warnie was bowling, if I could, I'd drop everything and just sit there mesmerised watching him do his thing. I don't think I've sat down and watched more than 10 consecutive minutes of any form of cricket since he retired, it just doesn't hold my interest like footy still does. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Warnie again bowling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or does Danger fwd remind you of Gaz Snr?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back