Is it NRL or rugby union for footy fans

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most footy fans don't mind Rugby Union ie watching the Wallabies play internationally but I don't think that translates into us watching the super 14's.

League is lame

Wallaby internationals are great events that the entire country gets into but thats where the slow game of rugby starts and ends for most people.

League is the most repetitive sport in the universe.

The new union rules they are trialling in the Sydney comp (you can see it on ABC2) are great - sooner they bring them in internationally the better.

Much more attacking and fluid game.

Footy fans will tend to like union more because the ball is, in theory anyway, alwayd up for contest.

League used to be like this, but they have progressively removed every chance for the defence to contest possession

I'll watch either. Both have their pros and cons.

It's easier for me to get into Union considering WA have a team that I can really follow. I find Union to have a bit more depth and variation in the play than League. Though watching scrum after scrum can certainly become tiresome and some games seem to have a lot of time with not much happening. I certainly prefer watching the Wallabies over the Kangaroos. International Union just feels more elite than League with more countries involved and a more prestigious world cup.

I sort of follow the Cowboys and Titans in the NRL but it's not the same as having a home based team. I'd get into it a lot more if I had a WA team I could support. League has it over Union in the sense that they have emphasised the big tackles, with less stoppages and more continuous ball play. On the downside it can feel a bit shallow and repetitive with the same action over and over with not a lot of variation happening.

That's my 2 cents worth anyway. Just my opinion like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rugby League.

To anyone that says it's a boring game, tune in to State of Origin 1 and witness the fierce intensity of the tackling in the first five minutes...

All three are more watchable than the entire lesbian only shower footage from the BB house. Unless you are in that shower.

And then I would still watch all three. And so would they.

I prefer league - much simpler and easier to understand. Seems to have more rhythm about it.

Union is frustrating to watch as there are so many penalties plucked from nowhere and time is wasted while players line up a kick at goal, pack a scrum or set up a line-out.

Seeing a scrum packed over and over cos it collapses or rotates is one of the most infuriating things on earth.

League people like Fatty, Sterlo, Johns boys and Paul Harrogon have more personality in their little fingers than Gordon Bray, Budda Handy, Peter Fitzsimmon, John Eels, Nick Far Jones etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it NRL or rugby union for footy fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back