Expansion Is league in western sydney really that strong

Remove this Banner Ad

More deplorable crowds in Sydney's west over the weekend.
13,000 for Parramatta and 16,000 for Penrith in a Sydney derby match.
Meanwhile the Swans attract 45,000 in the same part of town.
Those who believe we can't sustain a team in Sydney's west are just anti-footy.

And at least 25% of tonights NRL game between two sydney teams will be on free tickets.

I know for a fact the AFL do not count freebies in their official crowd figures and I've been told the NRL is the same.

Sydney NRL crowds are pathetic we all know it, but the facts are, teams like souths, dragons, bulldogs, tigers and even parra play at ANZ stadium (which is the worst stadium for rugby league).

However, league registered player number outnumber the Afl 450-1.

89 000 people in sydney watched the AFL, 257 000 watched monday night footy last night.

You tell me which sport is stronger

12,000 for the NRL "derby" last night in Western Sydney.

This includes unlimited free tickets for under 16's, which I would estimate would be at least 3,000 tickets. Anything less and you'd have to seriously question NRL's ability to get people to come even with free tickets.

Sydney NRL crowds are pathetic we all know it, but the facts are, teams like souths, dragons, bulldogs, tigers and even parra play at ANZ stadium (which is the worst stadium for rugby league).
Rubish, with the stands in, its one of the best NRL grounds in Sydney. Thats why they play there so much.
yeah. :rolleyes:
89 000 people in sydney watched the AFL, 257 000 watched monday night footy last night.
118,000 in Sydney only for AFL.

257,000 was Australia wide wasnt it ?

More deplorable crowds in Sydney's west over the weekend.
13,000 for Parramatta and 16,000 for Penrith in a Sydney derby match.
Meanwhile the Swans attract 45,000 in the same part of town.
Those who believe we can't sustain a team in Sydney's west are just anti-footy.

Its a event when swans play at ANZ, just like 55000 turning up for state or origin at the telstra dome in 2006.

A west sydney team will average about 25 000 to 30 000, but will rate terribly on tv.

Look at rugby league, we have crap support in sydney, members are pathetic, no money in the game YET the game is still going.

Super League war destroyed league and its still having a huge effect on the game, Clubs like Perth and Adelaide were taken from the comp. The french government tried to destroy rugby league, media in melbourne still give rugby league a bad name, but i ask you this to all anti - Rugby League people.

Why does the AFL want to take over in sydney and qld. Because they know how good the game is, if we had your CEO, the game would be number 1 Australia, but the game still doesnt believe in itself.

Rubish, with the stands in, its one of the best NRL grounds in Sydney. Thats why they play there so much.

yeah. :rolleyes:

118,000 in Sydney only for AFL.

257,000 was Australia wide wasnt it ?

Have you been to ANZ, State of Origin or the Grand Final, but for every other game its crap, why do you think the World Cup Final is being played in Brisbane Suncorp stadium.

Thats the figures, the afl counts when they give kids in west sydney a auskick bag, that they are registered players (they are kidding themselves)

NSW only my apology,
AFL in nsw was something like 160 000.

A blockbuster or 2 sydney teams where 1 is last and cronulla dont rate well at all.

ANZ stadium throws money at the poor clubs ie Souths, Dragons and Bulldogs so the stadium gets used. Its a blight on the game that regular games are played there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12,000 for the NRL "derby" last night in Western Sydney.

This includes unlimited free tickets for under 16's, which I would estimate would be at least 3,000 tickets. Anything less and you'd have to seriously question NRL's ability to get people to come even with free tickets.

Read my last post. Souths are poor and got money to play at ANZ, souths is based in south sydney and cronulla in eastern sydney playing at Homebush.

its like having st kilda vs demons at geelong.

Last week it was same dragons vs sharks at anz and 15 000 turned up.

NRL wont do anything about it. A local derby in western sydney between 2 eastern sides???/

Also problems with some sides is support out of their 'area' its a major issue. Cronulla get good support at home, but have very little fans away from the area.

Canberra are another perfect example, which is why alot of team nominate sides they dont want to play at home because of their support.

Rugby League since 1908 has sturggled for support but its held on. It will survive the AFL/soccer invasion and still come out number 1.

You tell me which sport is stronger
I don't think anyone is disputing that Rugby League is stronger than Football in Western Sydney, or all of sydney or all of NSW, You Rugby Leaguers have a real problem with the debate at hand, knowing can't possibly win the arguments, you turn it around to suit yourself, by only including NSW or whatever.

You say league registered player number outnumber the Afl 450-1, you might be right on a technicality in that there is only 40 or so AFL registered players on an AFL list with the swans. But that would mean there would be only 18,000 "League" players. so I take it you mean Australian Football, but that looks even more ludicrous considering accroding to the 2007 AFL annual report

■ Overall participation numbers in NSW/ACT grew from 84,109 to
106,218 – a 26 per cent increase from the previous year and
75 per cent up on the numbers in 2005.
■ Features of the statewide increases included NAB AFL
Auskick (16 per cent increase to 37,330); primary inter-school
competitions (19 per cent increase to 6090); secondary interschool
competitions (169 per cent increase to 3872) and AFL
Recreational footy (236 per cent increase to 1820).

So even if you take out the Auskick numbers, the school numbers and the Rec footy numbers you are left with 57,104 participants, which would mean their are 25,696,800 League players in NSW alone:rolleyes:

Read my last post. Souths are poor ...
Not any more. I think you'll find they have the highest sponsorship of the Sydney-based football clubs.

Rugby League since 1908 has sturggled for support but its held on. It will survive the AFL/soccer invasion and still come out number 1.
It's difficult to support such an argument when no other brand of football or any other sport has achieved anything remotely similar to RL's achievements in putting bums on seats, attracting television audiences for sponsors, etc including general community BBQ/water-cooler discussion for the past 100 years.

If the market leader in RL has "struggled for support", what about everybody else?????

I don't think anyone is disputing that Rugby League is stronger than Football in Western Sydney, or all of sydney or all of NSW, You Rugby Leaguers have a real problem with the debate at hand, knowing can't possibly win the arguments, you turn it around to suit yourself, by only including NSW or whatever.

You say league registered player number outnumber the Afl 450-1, you might be right on a technicality in that there is only 40 or so AFL registered players on an AFL list with the swans. But that would mean there would be only 18,000 "League" players. so I take it you mean Australian Football, but that looks even more ludicrous considering accroding to the 2007 AFL annual report

So even if you take out the Auskick numbers, the school numbers and the Rec footy numbers you are left with 57,104 participants, which would mean their are 25,696,800 League players in NSW alone:rolleyes:

Isn't counting Rec Footy in AFL participation numbers akin to counting Touch Footy for RL? The reality is Touch Footy has grown so big its now considered a sport in its own right and therefore no longer counted in RL participation.

... media in melbourne still give rugby league a bad name, ...
:eek: Umm, care to give an example??

Keep in mind that Australia's top selling daily, the Hearld Sun, is a News Ltd paper, which owns the News Ltd Storm - hence it gives it non-stop promotional coverage out of all proportion to its actual popularity or general interest in Melbourne. But I can't ever recall any article in the Melbourne media "giving rugby league a bad name". Its the opposite - all positive and promotional (its just that few bother to read these spin articles)

In contrast, we have not just one, but two threads here with examples of a whole string of hysterical and/or paranoid anti-Australian Football articles from the NSW press -
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415581

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419531

So much for your total BS point.
... Why does the AFL want to take over in sydney and qld. Because they know how good the game is...
We don't want to "take over", (your words), we simply want to expand our great Australian game, so as many as possible have the opportunity to play and/or watch it. And yes, we know how good our Australian game is, but thank you. ;)
... if we had your CEO, the game would be number 1 Australia, but the game still doesnt believe in itself.
Yes, of course, :rolleyes: If only rugby league had Vlad, all would be different! :D You obviously have no idea just how small and insignificant rugby league is outside of its heartland areas - this even includes the part of NSW where I used to live, which is devoted to Australian Football.

I agree that RL does have plenty of support in its heartland areas and will (as you say) "hold on". However, as observed a number of times in this long thread, RL is not as strong in its own Western suburbs heartland as what Australian Football is throughout its own heartlands. Therefore, given time and plenty of investment, the AFL should take the opportunity to expand and grow the game of Australian Football in such big population regions. Afterall, there are already 12 AFL players from the Sydney metro area (and 16 from the Gold Coast) with AFL clubs. But there is a lot of room for growth, particularly in Sydney.

Isn't counting Rec Footy in AFL participation numbers akin to counting Touch Footy for RL? The reality is Touch Footy has grown so big its now considered a sport in its own right and therefore no longer counted in RL participation.
I've played touch footy - and neither I or any of my teamates ever once connectd it with rugby league. Whilst some of its rules were derived from rugby league (as rugby league in turn derived from rugby union), it has its own fully independent administration, is a non-contact adult sport, and with nothing whatsoever to do with any RL body.

On the other hand, recfooty and especially Auskick, fall under the AFL funding (and hence ultimately its administration). I don't see kow Ausckick cannot be included in participation, as its run and funded by the AFL's Game Development Department, driving the next generation of Australian Footballers, and is now the standard football version for 5-12 year olds (and soccer and the rugby codes both include this age group in their own participation stats). Its probably been one of the most successful of AFL innovations for developing both participation for the kids, as well as at least a positive general interest in Australian Football in both the kids and their parents - even if they don't go on to play the sport.

I've played touch footy - and neither I or any of my teamates ever once connectd it with rugby league.
Are you taking the pi$$?

Whilst some of its rules were derived from rugby league (as rugby league in turn derived from rugby union), it has its own fully independent administration, is a non-contact adult sport, and with nothing whatsoever to do with any RL body.
Yeah, it became a sport in its own right. However, it began as a Rugby League plaything and grew too big.

On the other hand, recfooty and especially Auskick, fall under the AFL funding (and hence ultimately its administration). I don't see kow Ausckick cannot be included in participation, as its run and funded by the AFL's Game Development Department, driving the next generation of Australian Footballers, and is now the standard football version for 5-12 year olds (and soccer and the rugby codes both include this age group in their own participation stats). Its probably been one of the most successful of AFL innovations for developing both participation for the kids, as well as at least a positive general interest in Australian Football in both the kids and their parents - even if they don't go on to play the sport.
The reality is AFL and RL calculate participation rates differently.

As you say, Auskick is used to generate "positive general interest" and it does. Arguably it's a big optimistic to say it's the same as a bona fide junior who joins a club and plays in an organised competition.

Rugby League only count bona fide juniors and not school-based promotions.

Are you taking the pi$$?
Played in a comp at Elwood Beach (grass field next to the beach).

... Yeah, it became a sport in its own right. However, it began as a Rugby League plaything and grew too big...
In Melbourne its just another sport - whatever its origins were, its not connected or in any way associated in Melbourne with rugby league.

... As you say, Auskick is used to generate "positive general interest" and it does. Arguably it's a big optimistic to say it's the same as a bona fide junior who joins a club and plays in an organised competition.

Rugby League only count bona fide juniors and not school-based promotions.
The Australian Football stats also don't include school based promotions. Auskick isn't at all school based - its run independently (under the AFL umbrella) and is held on weekends (Saturday mornings in most cases) and requires registration and it goes over a 10 to 12 week season. It comprises clinics (which depending on age groups) covers steps from general co-ordination/handling a ball on to various specific footy skills (kicking, hannd-ball, marking etc), and then concludes with a game (with modified rules to avoid heavy contact, and with the emphasis on participation and enjoyment in the game, not the result).

It started in Victoria back in the 1980's, and the enourmous success there has seen it spread nationwide. It is the form of junior footy for 5-12 year olds. Of course, the kids also get weekly promotional/propaganda material, like footy magazines/comics/cards, plus a backpack and free footy. Finally, the older kids (11-12 year olds) are given details of local junior clubs in the area where they can continue their participation (and well run clubs make personal contacts with the kids and their parents. All this promotes Australian Football and the AFL.

Its now also being used in South Africa (under the term FootyWild) to help spread our game there.

BTW - If you want to measure participation by an independent body, go to the ABS, which uses the same criteria for all sports. Thee you will see that Australian Football participation has shot well past both rugby league and union combined, and is rapidly growing in NSW and Qld.

In Melbourne its just another sport - whatever its origins were, its not connected or in any way associated in Melbourne with rugby league.
Yeah, its now a sport in its own right not connected or in any way associated with Rugby League.... other than the whole point of the game being identical save for tackling.

The Australian Football stats also don't include school based promotions. Auskick isn't at all school based - its run independently (under the AFL umbrella) and is held on weekends (Saturday mornings in most cases) and requires registration and it goes over a 10 to 12 week season. It comprises clinics (which depending on age groups) covers steps from general co-ordination/handling a ball on to various specific footy skills (kicking, hannd-ball, marking etc), and then concludes with a game (with modified rules to avoid heavy contact, and with the emphasis on participation and enjoyment in the game, not the result).
Yeah, AusKick is hugely popular and a tremendous success, but it's a one-off kick-a-bout have-some-fun social event. That is not a bona fide junior participant who plays club football week in week out.

It started in Victoria back in the 1980's, and the enourmous success there has seen it spread nationwide. It is the form of junior footy for 5-12 year olds. Of course, the kids also get weekly promotional/propaganda material, like footy magazines/comics/cards, plus a backpack and free footy. Finally, the older kids (11-12 year olds) are given details of local junior clubs in the area where they can continue their participation (and well run clubs make personal contacts with the kids and their parents. All this promotes Australian Football and the AFL.
Absolutely.

Its now also being used in South Africa (under the term FootyWild) to help spread our game there.
Good idea.

BTW - If you want to measure participation by an independent body, go to the ABS, which uses the same criteria for all sports. Thee you will see that Australian Football participation has shot well past both rugby league and union combined, and is rapidly growing in NSW and Qld.
Yeah, we know that but the point is AFL, NRL, RU, FFA and ABS all have different methodology.

Do some research on the history of rugby league.

The 'heartlands' of the game is sydney and bris.
yes the game went to canberra, north qld, its played in new zealand, png, england, france, south africa, even the german comp is semi pro.

Youve just quoted what i said, the afl counts kids given austag bags as signed up players.

The junior league number in nsw is 293 000, and qld its 179 000, so the game for the future is ok.

Souths are still poor, why else would they goto anz, SFS wanted a 10 year deal worth a little less and they took the ANZ, 40 kms away from their support base.

Did you read the reports of AFL in south africa?

They thought it was aussie rugby. And wouldnt you know it, the South African Rugby League has annonced major funding by the government. To now make it 6th link of sports funding in South Africa.

Last but not least Rugby League has State of Origin, that truly shows how big the game is and the dat when 20 000 turn up to anz stadium i will admit rugby league is dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Is league in western sydney really that strong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back