Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it was a coach killing game. I don't think we are playing that much worse then we have been but the injury toll is pretty massive.

You can get battle hardened without being slammed every week. Getting some easier games in the first half of the season is important. The side should be as fit as possible, we should have the best (or close to best) side available, the spirit is not yet broken. Across the course of the season we still play every team in the comp once so no the side still gets the exposure to quality opposition.
Pick up a few wins early and there's still the glimmer of hope until it's mathematically impossible to make the finals. When you get to the halfway point of the season and it's already mathematically impossible, then it makes for a very long season for the players - and little wonder they drop off.

I suggest the club is thinking the list is better than what it is.I would be seeking changes there and to all coaching staff.
Getting slammed every week ,shows me 2 things no leadership from seniors players , and a could not give a F...k attitude I.e. We have nothing to play for ,so why put our bodies on the line. combined with mental stress ,as the lions are always getting bagged in the media or by someone.it takes a heavy toll mentally.
In terms of playing the best 22 each week , I believe and hope you will agree with me, that is utopia.it is virtually impossible due to injury to always have the best 22 on the park each week.I really want to keep this positive ,so I hope, that the young kids see this as a real opportunity to learn from better and more experienced players ( I.e. To learn their craft) rather than a negative one. I completely understand the complete and utter frustration of the supporters and this is why we have to hang tough because it is going to take a huge effort and years before we see the lions playing in a grand final again if ever.This is were the AFL MUST get their heads out of their own asses and that of Eddie's and help us be more competitive because the lions cannot do it on their own. They owe us big time for what they did to Fitzroy. The ball is now clearly in the AFL's court.The help needed is critical ,so AFL get back in touch with reality now.

Not making excuses - I think Leppa is gawn but if you are going to compare age of list then I'd rather see a breakdown of experience player to player (i.e. how many 1-20 games, 20-50, 50-100 etc) rather than an aggregated mean average.

Here it is for last night's game. I'll do Melbourne's if I get time later.

Brisbane Lions
1-20 games
Archie Smith 2 games 21yo
Rhys Mathieson 8 games 19yo
Liam Dawson 16 games 20yo
Ben Keays 13 games 19yo
Eric Hipwood 7 games 18yo
Matthew Hammelmann 6 games 20yo
Josh Schache, 17 games 18yo

21-50
Nick Robertson 26 games 21 yo
Darcy Gardiner 40 games 20yo
Josh Walker 46 Games 23yo
Harris Andrews 33 games 19yo

51-100
Lewis Taylor 60 games 21yo
Sam Mayes 71 games, 22yo
Josh Green 81 games 23yo
Dayne Zorko 98 games 27yo
Ryan Lester 77 games, 23yo

101-150
Pearce Hanley 126 games, 27yo
Tom Rockliff 131 games 26yo
Mitch Robinson 137 game, 27yo
Daniel Rich 140 games, 26yo
Ryan Bastinac 140 games 25yo

151-200
Daniel Merrett 197 games 31yo

Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 1; 25-29yo: 6; 21-24yo: 7 18-20yo: 8 (5 teenagers)

Adelaide Crows
1-20
Reilly O'Brien 1 game, 20yr

21-50
Rory Atkins 27 games, 22yrs
Jake Lever 31 games, 20yo
Luke Hartigan 46 games, 22yo
Charlie Cameron 44 games, 22 yo
Brad Crouch 36 games, 22yo
Jarryd Lyons 50 games, 24yo
Camm Ellis-Yolman 28 games, 23yo
Matt Crouch 42 games, 21yo

51-100
Rory Laird 71 games, 22yo
Luke Brown 86 games, 22yo
Paul Seedsman 64 games, 24yo
Josh Jenkins 88 games, 27yo
Tom Lynch 78 games, 25yo
Kyle Cheney 72 games, 26yo

101-150
Daniel Talia 117 games 24yo
Brodie Smith 116 games 24yo
Rory Sloane 136 games 26yo
Taylor Walker 125 games, 26yo

151-200
Richard Douglas 190 games, 29yo
David MacKay 158 games, 28yrs

200+
Eddie Betts 248 games, 29yo

Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 0; 25-29yo: 8; 21-24yo: 12 18-20yo: 2 (No teenagers)
Adelaide Age Breakdown (compared to Lions): 30+yo: less one; 25-29yo: plus 2; 21-24yo: plus 5 18-20yo: less 6 (no teenagers)

Melbourne Demons
1-20 games
Jayden Hunt 16 games, 21yo
Oscar McDonald 14 games, 20yo
Christian Petracca 14 games, 20yo (Pick #1)
Sam Weideman 1 game 19yo
Clayton Oliver 11 games 19yo (Pick #4)

21-50
Sam Frost 37 games, 22yo
Aaron Vanderberg, 25 games, 24yo
Dean Kent, 50 games, 22yo
Angus Brayshaw 28 games, 20yo (Pick #2)
Billy Stretch 24 games, 19yo F/S
James Harmes 25 games, 20yo

51-100
Neville Jetta 91 games, 27yo
Toms Bugg 80 games, 23yo
Dom Tyson 68 games, 23yo (Pick #3)
Cameron Pederson 60 games, 29yo
Max Gawn 58 games, 24yo
Jack Viney 67 games, 22yo (F/S)

101-150
Tom McDonald 101 games, 23yo
Jeff Garlett 144 games, 27yo
Jack Watts 134 games, 25yo (Pick #1)

151-200
Bernie Vince 190 games, 30yo (Pick #32)

200+
Nathan Jones 220 games, 28yo (Pick #12)

Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 1; 25-29yo: 5; 21-24yo: 9 18-20yo: 7 (3 teenagers)
Age Breakdown (compared to Lions): 30+yo: 0; 25-29yo: plus 1; 21-24yo: less 2 18-20yo: less 1 (2 less teenagers)

Last edited:
That's the solution then. Sack Leppitsch as coach and appoint him to a media position at the club with sole responsibility for holding post game press conferences after we have been ritually humiliated by our opposition. He is highly qualified, having had more experience at this than anyone else in the AFL. Leave the coaching to someone who has a clue.

Maybe you could coach?

Maybe you could coach?
The thing that changed my mind on Leppa, is the failure to develop the young talent.Almost without exception they have regressed...now we have Cutler,in this category. Injuries and defections aside,this is an intolerable situation.Roos Beveridge ,Bolton and Richardson have elite coaching credentials .Vossy was underesourced and poorly supported..he looks like a genius in hindsight .

That's the solution then. Sack Leppitsch as coach and appoint him to a media position at the club with sole responsibility for holding post game press conferences after we have been ritually humiliated by our opposition. He is highly qualified, having had more experience at this than anyone else in the AFL. Leave the coaching to someone who has a clue.

What can I say 3KZ is football

Here it is for last night's game. I'll do Melbourne's if I get time later.

Brisbane Lions
1-20 games
Archie Smith 2 games 21yo
Rhys Mathieson 8 games 19yo
Liam Dawson 16 games 20yo
Ben Keays 13 games 19yo
Eric Hipwood 7 games 18yo
Matthew Hammelmann 6 games 20yo
Josh Schache, 17 games 18yo

21-50
Nick Robertson 26 games 21 yo
Darcy Gardiner 40 games 20yo
Josh Walker 46 Games 23yo
Harris Andrews 33 games 19yo

51-100
Lewis Taylor 60 games 21yo
Sam Mayes 71 games, 22yo
Josh Green 81 games 23yo
Dayne Zorko 98 games 27yo
Ryan Lester 77 games, 23yo

101-150
Pearce Hanley 126 games, 27yo
Tom Rockliff 131 games 26yo
Mitch Robinson 137 game, 27yo
Daniel Rich 140 games, 26yo
Ryan Bastinac 140 games 25yo

151-200
Daniel Merrett 197 games 31yo

Age Breakdown: 30+yo: 1; 25-29yo: 6; 21-24yo: 7 18-20yo: 8 (5 teenagers)
This is no excuse for zero defensive effort and not doing the basic rights.

Of those who where there when Leppitsch who has developed? No-one everyone has gone backwards. So dress up all the excuses in the world however you like but as a coach Leppitsch is a complete abject failure who has had no upside to his time at Brisbane.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...e-as-lions-announce-seasonend-coaching-review

THE BRISBANE Lions will review Justin Leppitsch's position at the end of the season despite the embattled coach still having a year to run on his contract.

With just two wins from 19 games this season, the 40-year-old's coaching tenure has come under increasing scrutiny, compounded by the disastrous 138-point loss to Adelaide on Saturday night and 94-point defeat to Port Adelaide the week prior.

Lions chairman Bob Sharpless said on Sunday Leppitsch's job would be reviewed at the end of the home and away season.

"The club will stick to the path that it has outlined in recent weeks, which is that Justin is contracted until the end of 2017 and as such, he will coach the remaining three games before being reviewed once the season is over," Sharpless told Channel Nine on Sunday.

Leppitsch signed a one-year contract extension earlier this season, tying him to the club until the end of next year.

He has led his side to 13 wins from 62 games since succeeding Michael Voss as Lions coach in time for the 2014 season.

Speaking after the heavy loss to the Crows, Leppitsch criticised the AFL, saying it had "given nothing" to his struggling team and had instead favoured the expansion clubs.

"We've been given nothing as a footy club," Leppitsch said.

"No extra concessions and money. GWS bought Heath Shaw and (Shane) Mumford with the extra concessions ... you've got to understand there's a system behind what you see on game day.

"Coaching is only one part of a very big picture."
Conflicting info now - we're staying the path, Leppa is contracted for 2017 but we're reviewing it once the season is up?

The thing that changed my mind on Leppa, is the failure to develop the young talent.Almost without exception they have regressed...now we have Cutler,in this category. Injuries and defections aside,this is an intolerable situation.Roos Beveridge ,Bolton and Richardson have elite coaching credentials .Vossy was underesourced and poorly supported..he looks like a genius in hindsight .

I think u hit a very important point on the head. Just like a new player, a new coach needs everything else going well to enable time to develop.

Leppa came into an under resourced club with unproven talent. We shouldn't be surprised at the result.

50:50 hindsight says we needed a proven coach. We can never know though if it would have made a difference.

That's it you would say, we all know what that means. Giving the fans something to aknowledge they understand he is not going to work - review will be followed by presser announcing he will be let go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chairman announces a review will take place.

Yep, it's all she wrote.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-...e-as-lions-announce-seasonend-coaching-review

Conflicting info now - we're staying the path, Leppa is contracted for 2017 but we're reviewing it once the season is up?
Not conflicting at all.
The way his contract is intended to work is that extensions are evaluated a year before each ends. It was stated at the start of this year that he will know where he sits a year into the future.
Whether he is sacked or not, his contract is current to the end of next year, but a decision on 2018 will be made before season 2017. Every single club would be reviewing most aspects of their operation at the end of every year, so to say he will be reviewed is not a newsflash and makes no statement about about anyone's position on the matter.
What this statement does, is appeal to the shallow thinkers baying for blood. It will give the likes of some of the people here and Facebook some "reassurance" that the club is not ignoring the situation and will be taking a serious look at it (as if they weren't going to anyway). Some simpleminded folk need to hear that sort of stuff after a big loss, and unsurprisingly, it will actually have the desired affect on many.

I wonder if Leppa will stand down now that he is pretty much getting the flick?
Leppa would know he was going to get thrashed last night, and thats what happened. He will hope for a better performance this week against carlton. bring Martin, Cutler back in, maybe rest scache and give close another go. for his sake the boys may turn things around.

Not conflicting at all.
The way his contract is intended to work is that extensions are evaluated a year before each ends. It was stated at the start of this year that he will know where he sits a year into the future.
Whether he is sacked or not, his contract is current to the end of next year, but a decision on 2018 will be made before season 2017. Every single club would be reviewing most aspects of their operation at the end of every year, so to say he will be reviewed is not a newsflash and makes no statement about about anyone's position on the matter.
What this statement does, is appeal to the shallow thinkers baying for blood. It will give the likes of some of the people here and Facebook some "reassurance" that the club is not ignoring the situation and will be taking a serious look at it (as if they weren't going to anyway). Some simpleminded folk need to hear that sort of stuff after a big loss, and unsurprisingly, it will actually have the desired affect on many.

I agree and said the same in my post about aknowledging the fans. But the main reason is because we desperately need a coaching review, and any further silence from the board would be embarrassing. Though as an off shoot, it does aknowledge and appease the vast majority of (mostly) informed, logical supporters that something will be done.

I agree and said the same in my post about aknowledging the fans. But the main reason is because we desperately need a coaching review, and any further silence from the board would be embarrassing. Though as an off shoot, it does aknowledge and appease the vast majority of (mostly) informed, logical supporters that something will be done.
Those people already know things will be reviewed, it goes without saying. Those who it will appease, are the nongs who will invariably say "It's about time".

Andrew Hamilton clearly wasn't at Leppitschs post match conference. Leppa answered all the questions and explained the situation the lions are in.
Here we go again. It seems that there are a group of Lions supporters who rate press conference performance as more important than game time coaching performance when it comes to Leppitsch. We were humbled again and the coach once again demonstrated a complete incapacity when it comes to developing and managing a football side, but geez he's great at the post match press conference! I think he deserves another contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back