Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne have at least shown signs of improvement and player development. They were an absolute shambles only a few seasons ago and now they have knocked off the best side in the competition for the last 4 years.

A very young, inexperienced and injury depleted Dogs side also pushed the Cats in Geelong last week. I don't buy the youth cop out. The difference between us and them is they are both very well coached in Roos and Beveridge.

Leppa has had the worst and most difficult job in the afl for the past 3 season IMO.

We're at the stage of the season where we've got substantial injuries, our young guys are exhausted and we've got so many blokes out there who shouldn't be playing consistent AFL footy (or AFL footy at all at the moment). It'll be hard to win games against most teams with such inexperienced players and when you come up against a team like Adelaide who have the added motivation of percentage...RIP

Injuries and the draw this year haven't helped throughout Leppa's tenure but I feel as though we're in a better place than we were in 2013 under Voss. That side, whilst it had more wins, was really on a hiding to nowhere IMO.

IMO it has been a bit of the club with its many issues not being able to support such a turnover and rejuvenation of the list that Leppa has obviously set out to achieve. I'd love to know the plan he outlined to the board when they hired him. Feels like he won't have really had a chance to coach, all he has done is the turnover of the list without much support (relative to the wider AFL comp) from the club (with its issues) and the AFL.

For the record I don't really care what happens now with the coaching, but I feel very sorry for Leppa.

This is exactly how I feel too, sadly.

The constant stream of negativity is weighing so heavily, I now think a change of coach is needed and inevitable. The Lions need to change the message, or at the very least who says it. Personally I cannot say whether Leppa is a good coach or not, and I am not confident that any other coach would have done any better, but there's no denying the way the team plays is cringeworthy.

Too much sh!t coming out of the club for it to be just the coach and his assistants to be in the gun, I hope the review reveals the rest of the moles turfs them out.

Last edited:

This is exactly how I feel too, sadly.

The constant stream of negativity is weighing so heavily, I now think a change of coach is needed and inevitable. The Lions need to change the message, or at the very least who says it. Personally I cannot say whether Leppa is a good coach or not, and I am not confident that any other coach would have done any better, but there's no denying the way the team plays is cringeworthy.

Too much sh!t coming out of the club for it to be just the coach and his assistants to be in the gun, I hope the review reveals the rest moles turfs them out.

I think some coaches would have done better (ala Clarkson etc) but out of the untried assistants who were in the running at the time we hired Leppa, I'm not confident any of them could have done any better. My post wasn't really defending Leppa in the sense that he should keep his job. It was more just that I can see there are elements which have made it very difficult to win and be successful in the short term. I wouldn't even try to pretend to know the first thing about coaching and whether or not he can coach!

Leppa has had the worst and most difficult job in the afl for the past 3 season IMO.

We're at the stage of the season where we've got substantial injuries, our young guys are exhausted and we've got so many blokes out there who shouldn't be playing consistent AFL footy (or AFL footy at all at the moment). It'll be hard to win games against most teams with such inexperienced players and when you come up against a team like Adelaide who have the added motivation of percentage...RIP

Injuries and the draw this year haven't helped throughout Leppa's tenure but I feel as though we're in a better place than we were in 2013 under Voss. That side, whilst it had more wins, was really on a hiding to nowhere IMO.

IMO it has been a bit of the club with its many issues not being able to support such a turnover and rejuvenation of the list that Leppa has obviously set out to achieve. I'd love to know the plan he outlined to the board when they hired him. Feels like he won't have really had a chance to coach, all he has done is the turnover of the list without much support (relative to the wider AFL comp) from the club (with its issues) and the AFL.

For the record I don't really care what happens now with the coaching, but I feel very sorry for Leppa.

Regards your point on the thought draw.I would rather a tough draw than an easy draw.if you want to win a grand final you must bench mark yourself against the best. I would hate to see us have an easy draw, make the eight ,just to make up the numbers and get shown up by more powerful top eight side and in doing so get absolutely slaughtered.

Regards your point on the thought draw.I would rather a tough draw than an easy draw.if you want to win a grand final you must bench mark yourself against the best. I would hate to see us have an easy draw, make the eight ,just to make up the numbers and get shown up by more powerful top eight side and in doing so get absolutely slaughtered.

I understand and you make a good point, but we're nowhere near a flag. We were always going to play a group with younger less experienced guys this year (we are now playing way more than we would probably like), but that first 10 rds of the season had to have impacted upon the group greatly. You're the worst team with one of the most inexperienced lists in the comp and you're given an extremely hard draw (I think we almost have the hardest?) where the first half of the season is absolutely ludicrous in its difficulty.

I understand and you make a good point, but we're nowhere near a flag. We were always going to play a group with younger less experienced guys this year (we are now playing way more than we would probably like), but that first 10 rds of the season had to have impacted upon the group greatly. You're the worst team with one of the most inexperienced lists in the comp and you're given an extremely hard draw (I think we almost have the hardest?) where the first half of the season is absolutely ludicrous in its difficulty.

A flag is a journey not a destination. I feel the hard draw will, with the right people in place ,help us fine tune the future playing list, so that the lions ,will be better prepared , to have a red hot go,at what I consider a long overdue grand final return. In Brisbane's case it will take years,this is why I believe it is absolutely important /imperative to get the next gen of players battle hardened now. No pain no gain.Someone asked me about accountability before.I feel lions fans should be far more disappointed about the efforts of the older more experienced group than about playing our young players.Hence ,the reason why,I want to see major changes asap,to set us up for future glory.
The young gws players are reaping the rewards now ,after the early years of bad defeats.

The most worrying sign for me is the lack of improvement in Green, Lester, Mayes, Paparone, Taylor, Gardiner, McStay, Robertson and Freeman over the last few years. It doesn't matter how well we draft if they develop at the rate that these guys have we won't be getting out of the bottom 4 for a few years.

A flag is a journey not a destination. I feel the hard draw will, with the right people in place ,help us fine tune the future playing list, so that the lions ,will be better prepared , to have a red hot go,at what I consider a long overdue grand final return. In Brisbane's case it will take years,this is why I believe it is absolutely important /imperative to get the next gen of players battle hardened now. No pain no gain.Someone asked me about accountability before.I feel lions fans should be far more disappointed about the efforts of the older more experienced group than about playing our young players.Hence ,the reason why,I want to see major changes asap,to set us up for future glory.
The young gws players are reaping the rewards now ,after the early years of bad defeats.
You can get battle hardened without being slammed every week. Getting some easier games in the first half of the season is important. The side should be as fit as possible, we should have the best (or close to best) side available, the spirit is not yet broken. Across the course of the season we still play every team in the comp once so no the side still gets the exposure to quality opposition.
Pick up a few wins early and there's still the glimmer of hope until it's mathematically impossible to make the finals. When you get to the halfway point of the season and it's already mathematically impossible, then it makes for a very long season for the players - and little wonder they drop off.

He was exceptional in the presser. The boys have stopped fighting for him, the writing was on the wall this time last year, young or not, its unacceptable.. and with the board in attendance.. that loss feels like it might have cost him his job.

Where Hammo mentions Green and Taylor, does that imply they are staying? And is that who he mentions in the pressser?

There are so many parts to the head coach role these days which has been mentioned in this thread that makes it difficult to hang Leppa out to dry on win loss ratio. I agree though his development of players hasn't been great and doesn't set us up to turn this around.
We need an experienced head coach who knows the type of package to assemble to turn this around. Such as assistant coaches, psychologists, development coaches, strategists, fitness coaches, football chief. Plus the head coach needs to be know how to deal with the media and stop the leaks. Now it sounds like we're getting the $ to do this. Just hope it's done right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne have at least shown signs of improvement and player development. They were an absolute shambles only a few seasons ago and now they have knocked off the best side in the competition for the last 4 years.

A very young, inexperienced and injury depleted Dogs side also pushed the Cats in Geelong last week. I don't buy the youth cop out. The difference between us and them is they are both very well coached in Roos and Beveridge.
i used to be in the injuries excuse/youth camp as well but have gradually realized it goes deeper, it must. the average games stat of the demons yesterday brings it all home.

with the other younger teams you can see a game structure and consistent effort on the most part ie. demons, saints. the dogs backline has had a horrendous injury run this year but the effort and defensive structure still holds up.

the other teams in the bottom 6.

bombers- will improve dramatically next year- with the injector players back in and a number 1 draft pick.
dockers- can see them jumping back up with fyfe back in and harley bennell not injured.
blues- can see a definite game plan there, and the effort each week has been exceptional.
suns- they have shown some very good signs the last month, will bounce up the ladder next year.
tigers- the big question mark for me. like most i don't know where there at. will not get flogged each week like us though.

other youngish teams-

saints- have been highly impressive this year, their gut running is fantastic obviously they follow reiwoldts example.
demons- very bullish on them over the next 2-10 years, have built superbly over the last 2-3 years. see yesterdays result.

Even though I don't think Justin is the right man for the future, he was very impressive in the press conference last night. If he does lose his job at the end of this year, there should be 17 other clubs asking for his services. Whatever happens Leppa, you tried your best, and I applaud your efforts, and wish you all the best in your career and life.

That Gold Coast titans question in the presser was beyond stupid.

Leppa was awesome in the press conference. Really impressive.

Even though I don't think Justin is the right man for the future, he was very impressive in the press conference last night. If he does lose his job at the end of this year, there should be 17 other clubs asking for his services. Whatever happens Leppa, you tried your best, and I applaud your efforts, and wish you all the best in your career and life.
agree, i think leppa is probably done but that press conference was an exceptional display from leppa, a couple of points-

1) he said a signing or 2 to be announced, lets hope schache is one.
2) he said you can't trade out your experience, i would say is our experience good enough? why not trade out experience and trade/FA better experience in.

He was exceptional in the presser. The boys have stopped fighting for him, the writing was on the wall this time last year, young or not, its unacceptable.. and with the board in attendance.. that loss feels like it might have cost him his job.

Where Hammo mentions Green and Taylor, does that imply they are staying? And is that who he mentions in the pressser?
Again, who cares about the press conference? It is irrelevant. He is the worst coach I have ever seen at this level. Some of us have been saying this since shortly after his appointment when it was clear that he had next to no game plan and absolutely no 'Plan B' / capacity to employ alternative strategies during a game to ensure it doesn't slip away. Leppitsch appears to have no player management skills. His physical attack on O'Brien last year was a colossal warning sign, as was his inability to keep players engaged at at the club. The decision to let Adcock go was RUBBISH and his inability to develop the skills of almost all young and developing players a deal breaker. Leppitsch is sending the club backwards and we were already behind the eight ball.

Not making excuses - I think Leppa is gawn but if you are going to compare age of list then I'd rather see a breakdown of experience player to player (i.e. how many 1-20 games, 20-50, 50-100 etc) rather than an aggregated mean average.

Also, Melbourne lost to Essendon so let's not get too carried away.
^This.

While you're at it, maybe do a comparison of where on the ground that experience/inexperience lines up. Maybe do a comparison on the relative draft picks used to build that young list. Can you also compare the $$$$$$$$$$ poured into each club as a rescue package and who is paying the respective coaches' way. You should probably even compare the forced changes to each board.

Again, who cares about the press conference? It is irrelevant. He is the worst coach I have ever seen at this level. Some of us have been saying this since shortly after his appointment when it was clear that he had next to no game plan and absolutely no 'Plan B' / capacity to employ alternative strategies during a game to ensure it doesn't slip away. Leppitsch appears to have no player management skills. His physical attack on O'Brien last year was a colossal warning sign, as was his inability to keep players engaged at at the club. The decision to let Adcock go was RUBBISH and his inability to develop the skills of almost all young and developing players a deal breaker. Leppitsch is sending the club backwards and we were already behind the eight ball.

Who are you trying to convince? I knew half way through last year there was no way Leppa was going to work out.

Once the player coach relations needs 'reviewing' theres no coming back from that.

Only mentioned the presser because I'd hate to do it personally, and thought he delivered his message well, not suggesting it should mean he keeps his job.

BTW - Leigh will go with him I believe.

When we started the season I thought we actually looked like we had improved a fair bit since last year. Our skills, in tight by hand in particular, looked very slick. Unfortunately due to our tough draw we weren't able to jag those wins and as a result our confidence started to drop.

As the injuries started to increase and the losses started to pile up, our team lost all confidence. You can see this in how fumbly we have become.

I honestly believe, had we won that game against Sydney, things might've have ended up a little more positive. I don't think things are all doom and gloom.

Our 22 that we had out there last night reminded me of the teams that the Suns and GWS played in there first two seasons. We know how that went so I'm not sure how much to read into last nights result.

In saying that I am undecided whether Leppa is the right man to take us forward. I'm not close enough to the inner workings of the club to know those type of things. I am putting my blind faith in those in charge to make the right call. A change of coach might just be the circuit breaker that the club needs. One thing I do know is that development is the priority.

It absolutely stinks having a former club great as coach. Please no more of these types of appointments moving forward.

Last edited:
Who are you trying to convince? I knew half way through last year there was no way Leppa was going to work out.

Once the player coach relations needs 'reviewing' theres no coming back from that.

Only mentioned the presser because I'd hate to do it personally, and thought he delivered his message well, not suggesting it should mean he keeps his job.

BTW - Leigh will go with him I believe.
Bloody hope Leigh goes with him. Abused his power to entice Leppa into the coaching role while giving him hints on how to win over the other blokes on the coaching selection panel. Old blokes looking after themselves and friends. I knew right then that this place stank and the fish rots at the head. Also for someone in the media he hardly ever mention the Lions. He's just another puppet that circle jerks over the Vic clubs.

Leppa was awesome in the press conference. Really impressive.
That's the solution then. Sack Leppitsch as coach and appoint him to a media position at the club with sole responsibility for holding post game press conferences after we have been ritually humiliated by our opposition. He is highly qualified, having had more experience at this than anyone else in the AFL. Leave the coaching to someone who has a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back