Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go again. It seems that there are a group of Lions supporters who rate press conference performance as more important than game time coaching performance when it comes to Leppitsch. We were humbled again and the coach once again demonstrated a complete incapacity when it comes to developing and managing a football side, but geez he's great at the post match press conference! I think he deserves another contract extension.

Who are the people who say he deserves a new contract based on press conferences or place media performance above on-field performance? You seem to be so wound up about Leppitsch that if anyone does anything other than insult the guy, you take it as an endorsement of a contract extension. For ****s sake, do you have to be so extreme and facetious about every single topic?

I think for a guy who is most likely heading towards the end, we can probably acknowledge that Leppa has not been a success as a coach but it doesn't mean that every single thing he does is horrible. The sum total hasn't been great but he can still be given some credit for the effort- the guy has been trying his best. He, like all of us, is human with human strengths and weaknesses.

Let us at least be dignified over the course of the next few months as we discuss what might be major changes for the club.

Here we go again. It seems that there are a group of Lions supporters who rate press conference performance as more important than game time coaching performance when it comes to Leppitsch. We were humbled again and the coach once again demonstrated a complete incapacity when it comes to developing and managing a football side, but geez he's great at the post match press conference! I think he deserves another contract extension.

Yeah, pull your head in 3KZ. You're just exaggerating an observation people are making. I think he's performed really well in the media with all the pressure he has been under all year. I guess I view media performance as more important than coaching... :drunk:

He started the rebuild we had to have and has brought quality kids into the team and despite it being nigh on possible he has kept the team seemingly United. The next coach appointed will have a much easier job grabbing this team and implementing what he wants in place than Leppa did in 2014 after the Gh5 and the like. Leppitsch will be looked back on fondly as coaching through a period we had to go through to return to any form of success. Much like mcartney imo.

I think for a guy who is most likely heading towards the end, we can probably acknowledge that Leppa has not been a success as a coach but it doesn't mean that every single thing he does is horrible. The sum total hasn't been great but he can still be given some credit for the effort- the guy has been trying his best. He, like all of us, is human with human strengths and weaknesses.

Let us at least be dignified over the course of the next few months as we discuss what might be major changes for the club.

Still a club legend regardless.

Time to point the finger at the blokes who made the decision to bring Leppa in. At Richmond he would have been 3rd or 4th in line of seniority and relatively still inexperienced. We then go and make him the big kahuna responsible for our whole football operation. I equate it to a making an early career teacher the principal of a 500 plus school. This is a complete and utter recipe for disaster! Now we are witnessing the disaster unfold.

I think he's performed really well in the media with all the pressure he has been under all year. I guess I view media performance as more important than coaching... :drunk:
I suspected as much.

#iamverysmart

It's something that year 10 English students are expected to have well bedded down. Pretty low benchmark for "very smart".

Hope you don't pursue a career in writing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He started the rebuild we had to have and has brought quality kids into the team and despite it being nigh on possible he has kept the team seemingly United. The next coach appointed will have a much easier job grabbing this team and implementing what he wants in place than Leppa did in 2014 after the Gh5 and the like. Leppitsch will be looked back on fondly as coaching through a period we had to go through to return to any form of success. Much like mcartney imo.

Who are the 'quality kids' he has brought in?

In terms of developing players and retention I don't think you can blame Leppa. We simply didn't have the resources in place. Even Vossy highlighted to the board in 2012 that retention & development were going to be a major issue and the board didn't allocate any money in this area. We only started to put money into this resources end of last year (in terms of retention) and now thanks to the AFL money, we should be investing in development in the near future.

In terms of Leppa's coaching I agree he's simply not up to it.

(5:00min mark)

Last edited:
Time to point the finger at the blokes who made the decision to bring Leppa in. At Richmond he would have been 3rd or 4th in line of seniority and relatively still inexperienced. We then go and make him the big kahuna responsible for our whole football operation. I equate it to a making an early career teacher the principal of a 500 plus school. This is a complete and utter recipe for disaster! Now we are witnessing the disaster unfold.

not to mention that other clubs recruit coaches from the Hawks system and we went and recruited from the Tigers system. What a disaster

It's something that year 10 English students are expected to have well bedded down. Pretty low benchmark for "very smart".

Hope you don't pursue a career in writing!
You don't need to worry I'll leave that to you:D:D:D

L
andrews, hipwood, schache, matheison, keays and i think skinner will be a quality kid as well.
Leppa didn't bring these guys in - the recruiting team did.
His job was to coach , which he's not very good at, cattle and age regardless.

"It has been said several assistant coaches at the Lions have become frustrated at the minimal input they are able to contribute under coach Justin Leppitsch, who refers largely to his right-hand man Danny Daly."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/1cc1862803530ba64e16b4b43f1bc570

Wow! If that comment is true then what's the point of finding and surrounding Leppa with the best assistant coaches??? This is really concerning and I can't help but think that Simon Black's decision to leave now and focus on his academies might be just a smoke screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back