Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should just fold so I don't have to care anymore. The clubs going nowhere. The codes going nowhere in QLD! This game just wastes our money, time and emotions.

yes that is how it seems at times......and I have realised that I've become more disillusioned with the club than at any other time....

A new coach is not going to fix the problems at all.

yes that is how it seems at times......and I have realised that I've become more disillusioned with the club than at any other time....

A new coach is not going to fix the problems at all.
I have a pathetic short term memory -got knocked out a few too many times as a kid. when I was 38 my teenage kids made me do a dementia test cause of it.
Really comes in useful for being a lions fan and staying married.

Maybe the club is just giving a false perception of a review. Maybe they have already made a decision, and maybe with a result most are not expecting.
Would be the Ultimate form of deceit really, if the club go back on a plan that was signed off by all involved.
Would be worse than the vossy situation as there appeared to be no real plan in place back then. Just failure at all levels.
There are small wins at the club at all levels now, as outsiders we just have to look very deep to find them, but internally i am sure they r seeing them every day.
Wins and losses are not everything this early in a rebuild.

Maybe the club is just giving a false perception of a review. Maybe they have already made a decision, and maybe with a result most are not expecting.
Would be the Ultimate form of deceit really, if the club go back on a plan that was signed off by all involved.
Would be worse than the vossy situation as there appeared to be no real plan in place back then. Just failure at all levels.
There are small wins at the club at all levels now, as outsiders we just have to look very deep to find them, but internally i am sure they r seeing them every day.
Wins and losses are not everything this early in a rebuild.

You're right, they're not. What is more damning is the lack of development in the youngsters over the past 3 years, the regression of key, more experienced players and the complete inability to play to any sort of game plan including key skills like defensive run.

Is there anything to be read into Rockliff for presenting to the board or at least being present?

If there is any fire behind the smoke about him putting in less than 100% and/or entertaining offers to leave the club, he should be nowhere near the meeting and wouldn't have been a noted omission if he wasn't mentioned as attending.

Getting beat by massive amounts worst losing streak in our proud history has taken us in one direction down.Don't let the door hit you on the way out of the coaches box.

I get your opinion that Leppa is no good at his job and that he should go. But the bolded is just so ungracious and malicious. It implies Leppa was some sort of saboteur. I don't get that sentiment.

I reckon Leppa has tried his heart out. If it's the end of the line for him as coach, he departs with my gratitude and admiration for all his hard work. I reckon he's put it all out to make it work. For whatever reason it didn't work out, it wouldn't have been for lack of love or effort.

I'd hope the club conducts itself with dignity and ensures that he retains his connection with the club, so that as he leaves, if he leaves, the door will always remain open and he will always feel welcome.

Is there anything to be read into Rockliff for presenting to the board or at least being present?

If there is any fire behind the smoke about him putting in less than 100% and/or entertaining offers to leave the club, he should be nowhere near the meeting and wouldn't have been a noted omission if he wasn't mentioned as attending.

I think it's fair enough for the board to seek the players input. Although I hope they take what he says with a grain of salt as he may not feel like he can be or may not want to be 100% truthful

maybe it will be Rocky that is told to pack his bags and not Leppa, i am sure they would attempt to keep that quiet though as to not affect possible trade value.

The only thing that has gone well recently is that we have been holding onto more young talented footballers although too many are still leaving.

Too many? We've had two players under 21 leave since Leppa took over, and one of those was Crisp putting his hand up to help get the Beams deal done.

Too many? We've had two players under 21 leave since Leppa took over, and one of those was Crisp putting his hand up to help get the Beams deal done.
yep, this fallacy that we have been leaking players post the GH5 is getting annoying, we have lost no more than you would expect from a team that has been near the bottom of the ladder for an extended period, in fact i would say we have probably been better than most would have thought.

some in the media just like to perpetuate this lions are leaking players narrative, it is easy, no investigative journalism at its finest.

More about quality then quantity. Losing a first round draft pick really hurts and losing Green our most dangerous forward will hurt as did losing Crisp. With a list as completely devoid of talent like ours we can't lose these guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And if Aish had put his hand up at the time, I would like to think Crisp would still be here
It seems unlikely. Plus we'd probably have only gotten half of what we ended up getting for Aish.

It had already been said that all footy operations would be under review, i would expect that as part of a full review they would be speaking to as many as possible. The captain included.

This BS of players leaving has got to stop. If Green goes, so be it. He will only be 1 player and most have signed up and all are sticking around so something must be right!

I don't get where the players going backwards is coming from? Granted I don't see it and that's ok because I don't follow it as closely as some on here do. But, to me, isn't that an issue with our Facilities, Trainers, Assistant Coaches, physios, fitness people and the Coach?

So those laying all the blame at Leppa's feet are saying there is no other person or issues or other factors that could be attributing to this? It is all Leppa's fault and there is no one else or nothing else to blame? Or is this becoming a convenient excuse to get rid of our coach?

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't the same reasons being trotted out to get rid of Voss? Players leaving and Players regressing under him? Look how that turned out.

More about quality then quantity. Losing a first round draft pick really hurts and losing Green our most dangerous forward will hurt as did losing Crisp. With a list as completely devoid of talent like ours we can't lose these guys.

I'm not sure devoid of talent is right. The risk for us is that so much of tat talent is young right now and remains potential. I'm also not convinced that Green will be our most dangerous forward (if he even still is) for much longer. A third tall like Bell, once he settles in, gives us probably a similar number of goals a game, at least as much defensive pressure and a hell of a lot more run than Green adds.

You're right, they're not. What is more damning is the lack of development in the youngsters over the past 3 years, the regression of key, more experienced players and the complete inability to play to any sort of game plan including key skills like defensive run.
This has been raised a fair bit, but I reckon it's hard to develop in a increasingly young side and fighting to survive matches.
Which players?
Green? out of sorts and injured, has only played half a season this year, but even those games on average, the last 3 years are miles better than the first 3.
Mayes? Had a down year last year, (second year blues in his third year). Learning a new position, he has now performing as well or better than before.
Close? Had a year off and is still performing better than his first.

I hope we're not looking at guys like McGrath, Watts, McGuiness, or even Beams as development failures. The poor bastards haven't been fit enough, long enough to develop a blister, let alone a game. Are people looking at standouts at other clubs to make development judgements? Look how well Bontempelli has come along. Yeah, the guy who beat him for the rising star hasn't progressed, but again, trying to get better in a team that was getting worse is probably a tough ask.
Just not sure where people expected to see leaps and bounds.

If this whole process amounts to nothing more than going through the motions then you have to wonder what lessons we've learned.

If we lay the blame entirely at the feet of the coach for all our ills and don't produce a detailed mission statement on how we intend to address the other issues such as development, list management, the player v club dynamic, the power of player management, player off field support and well being just to name a few then we will find ourselves back here again very soon.

Part of that review needs to detail how we regain our independence from the AFL both from a management and financial point of view. We suffer enough stupid decisions externally to be dictated to internally as well. I know they are supposed to be unrelated issues but it's very clear they are not at the moment.

For once we need a direction and big enough balls to stick with it. I thought we'd finally turned that corner but it appears unlikely.

As a near 20 year member I can stand the highs and lows of the on field performance far more easily than the wishy washy populist behaviour of the club off it.

It's time we stood for something again.

Last edited:
It seems unlikely. Plus we'd probably have only gotten half of what we ended up getting for Aish.

Aish was one of the names the Pies threw up as part of the Beams trade. If he'd made his mind up twelve months earlier we could have held onto Crisp. We ended up with Bastinac for Aish. Beams + Crisp > Beams + Bastinac, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back