Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm reporting it too. Come at me.

So what are the Lions board waiting for? Leppitsch values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision?

is anything Leppa said tonight really going to make any difference? or Rocky?

i honestly wouldn't be surprised what ever way the decision goes, i have no bloody idea what they are going to do.

The perception of a well-managed, considered and respectful process?

Leppitsch said he values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision? And if he hasn't been told of that already made decision...then it smacks of dishonesty.

How is that considered and respectful if no matter what Leppitsch presents, the board aren't going to consider that presentation in their decision?

Leppitsch said he values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision? And if he hasn't been told of that already made decision...then it smacks of dishonesty.

How is that considered and respectful if no matter what Leppitsch presents, the board aren't going to consider that presentation in their decision?

Don't know.

Your point in your post was steadiness giving port and dogs as example which neither had then give hawks as example of steadiness way off the mark in comparison
No, my point was that progress is less often a constant trajectory like this (which Jackess fears)
pbg1.jpg
And is more often increased in rate as it improves;
pbg2.jpg
The teams I was using as examples, improved quicker toward their best, the closer they got to it. With a young team like ours, I would expect a slow progression like we've had, but as we do progress, I would also expect that rate of progression to increase.
I hope the pictures helped.

Likely the opposite of what happened to Voss.

Except that Voss wasn't sacked in the middle of a contract, extended not twelve months before by the very same board. Voss was out of contract and was told three rounds before the end of the season that his contract would not be extended into 2014 and beyond. Voss then chose to walk despite an offer by the board for him to coach the remaining three rounds as outlined in his contract.

In fact it could be argued that it was Voss that didn't honour his contract by refusing to coach the remaining three rounds.

So what are the Lions board waiting for? Leppitsch values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision?
Possibly matthews has explained to leppa that if he wants to keep his job then he needs to present to the board a strong argument to kerb the opinions of most on the matter and sway the board back in his favour.

Except that Voss wasn't sacked in the middle of a contract, extended not twelve months before by the very same board. Voss was out of contract and was told three rounds before the end of the season that his contract would not be extended into 2014 and beyond. Voss then chose to walk despite an offer by the board for him to coach the remaining three rounds as outlined in his contract.

In fact it could be argued that it was Voss that didn't honour his contract by refusing to coach the remaining three rounds.

The K isn't king in AFL world.

Possibly matthews has explained to leppa that if he wants to keep his job then he needs to present to the board a strong argument to kerb the opinions of most on the matter and sway the board back in his favour.

So in that case wouldn't that suggest that in fact no decision has been made? I find it quite stunning that the media know the thoughts of all the Lions directors in this matter. Are Bob Sharpless, Leigh Matthews, Mick Power, Peter McGregor, Andrew Wellington, Sarah Kelly, Ross Thornton, Cathie Reid and Cyril Jinks freely throwing their thoughts around to the media and certain sections of the public about Leppitsch's future?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you're one of those rusted on "through thick and thin", lions three-peat celebratory tattoo on your left arse cheek kind of supporter?
If Leppa get's another year and we lose our first 10 games in 2017 by an average of 10 goals/game, I guess you'll be microwaving your membership and heading to the Suns anyway?
Maaaate .... I am a Qlder who played AFL as a kid, lost interest over time, refund my interest and passion & AFL is my sport of choice. The fact that I've maintained membership & been to every game in the last 2 x seasons shows I am a passionate supporter ...... But that being said, if the club continues to treats its own as crap ... It deserves to lose its members. Snide comments such as yours just don't get it. If we lose first 10 games by 10 goals, but we've kept Leppa & given him the real shot he deserves, I won't be microwaving my membership, but celebrating that at least we gave him a fair shot. That being said, my main point was if we were to get the "experienced" coach in Malhouse ... Who seems to be wanting to put his hand up, it really would be almost impossible to remain a member.

I think it is entirely likely that Leppitsch knows what's coming (and that there is no changing the decision). I also think that he is such a believer and man of character that he would present to the board why and how he made the decisions he has and what and why he has put in place (the pathway we're on). I think he would be imploring the board that it is the right path and that his successor shouldn't stray too far from this path.
That would be the point from Leppa's side of things. I don't think he is the sort to say "Stick it up your arse" and just leave the club to sort their own mess.
The difference here, from Voss' situation is that Voss didn't see it coming (and let's be honest, performance and results were better). He was right to be pissed that it almost came out of the blue (almost). For Leppitsch, the writing has been on the wall for some time. This was soooo on the cards. He will be calmer and has probably, largely dealt with it.
From the board's side of things, they will want to hear what he has to say, because even if the decision has been made, they still need to decide on where to from here. Sure, a new coach, but what do they want from him. I'm sure they will still value what direction Leppitsch thinks they need to take, even if he isn't the one to take us.

It's also the usual things discussed in an end of season review, but board meetings are monthly, and they won't want to be waiting 3 or 4 weeks after round 23 to hear it.

So in that case wouldn't that suggest that in fact no decision has been made? I find it quite stunning that the media know the thoughts of all the Lions directors in this matter. Are Bob Sharpless, Leigh Matthews, Mick Power, Peter McGregor, Andrew Wellington, Sarah Kelly, Ross Thornton, Cathie Reid and Cyril Jinks freely throwing their thoughts around to the media and certain sections of the public about Leppitsch's future?
Whilst all those directors have a vote, many/most will rely on the opinion of a small few. And that's just on the football side of things. As I said some time ago, they also need to consider the commercial realities and that is the main function of the board. It's a business and they are charged with its running. Part of the commercial interest is that membership, sponsorship and fixture provide revenue. In the long term, we may be on the right path to provide those over a sustained period, but can we do well enough in the meantime?
You can't discount the self interests of some on the board to see some return quicker and bigger. Not saying that is the case, but could very possibly come into play. They want the organisation they are directing to look good as well as prosper. Like any supporter, some of them may be more or less patient than others.

I honestly do not think anything is set in stone.

I think the board has backed Leppas plans until recently. While they knew what was coming, they are not coping with pressure that the plan implementation is bringing. media hacks like Hamilton stalking this meeting for example. Always knew there would be no decision tonight but he acts like he is the thick of a major intelligence plot and reporting from a war front with up to the minute live reports. What a d*ck.

I have no doubt that leppa's presentation is going to be uncomfortable for a number of the board. It will end up as this is our agreed plan and you are blinking/swerving/chickening out.

I believe it could go either way.

In all seriousness, I would have thought it was likely Leppa was subject to a review around this time of year regardless of what happens, along with 17 other coaches at some point towards the end of their seasons. Seems like a strange decision to leave his job dependent on a presentation when you've got two years of coaching to go off.

I think it is entirely likely that Leppitsch knows what's coming (and that there is no changing the decision).

So the decision HAS been made already and the presentation wasn't about keeping his job, as that has already gone.

The difference here, from Voss' situation is that Voss didn't see it coming (and let's be honest, performance and results were better). He was right to be pissed that it almost came out of the blue (almost).

Voss was out of contract though and the Board apparently had made little attempt to seek talks about extending that contract further.

For Leppitsch, the writing has been on the wall for some time. This was soooo on the cards.

The Board extended Leppitsch tenure as coach to the end of next season and authorised his list rebuild vision which obviously would involve some short term pain.

Maaaate .... I am a Qlder who played AFL as a kid, lost interest over time, refund my interest and passion & AFL is my sport of choice. The fact that I've maintained membership & been to every game in the last 2 x seasons shows I am a passionate supporter ...... But that being said, if the club continues to treats its own as crap ... It deserves to lose its members. Snide comments such as yours just don't get it. If we lose first 10 games by 10 goals, but we've kept Leppa & given him the real shot he deserves, I won't be microwaving my membership, but celebrating that at least we gave him a fair shot. That being said, my main point was if we were to get the "experienced" coach in Malhouse ... Who seems to be wanting to put his hand up, it really would be almost impossible to remain a member.
Only two years?. You lucky bugger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back