Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are the Lions board waiting for? Leppitsch values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision?

Agree with this......and if as has been stated, the decision has been made but Leppa still asked to do a presentation, and then still gets the boot, he will have every right to feel betrayed.

Would be so hypocritical and unforgivable....

The way the AFL operates I would be very shocked if they would have agreed to give us money for our footy dept. etc if we keep Leppa on as our coach. We have been a mess for years, they would want to get their own people in to sort out the club or at least have a fair say in who we bring in. Leppa will go and the AFL will have a big say in who we appoint as our next coach. That's the way they work unfortunately.

I think the board has backed Leppas plans until recently. While they knew what was coming, they are not coping with pressure that the plan implementation is bringing. media hacks like Hamilton stalking this meeting for example. Always knew there would be no decision tonight but he acts like he is the thick of a major intelligence plot and reporting from a war front with up to the minute live reports. What a d*ck.

Very astute assessment Gadzorks!

So the decision HAS been made already and the presentation wasn't about keeping his job, as that has already gone.

Voss was out of contract though and the Board apparently had made little attempt to seek talks about extending that contract further.

The Board extended Leppitsch tenure as coach to the end of next season and authorised his list rebuild vision which obviously would involve some short term pain.

So the decision HAS been made already and the presentation wasn't about keeping his job, as that has already gone.

Voss was out of contract though and the Board apparently had made little attempt to seek talks about extending that contract further.

The Board extended Leppitsch tenure as coach to the end of next season and authorised his list rebuild vision which obviously would involve some short term pain.
It's the thing I was disappointed in with Mike Whiting's article. It was his say so that Leppa was "presenting for his job". I don't think that was ever the case. Either the decision was made in which case the presentation was as I described, a season review, or the they were undecided, in which case a longer more in depth review would occur after round 23. You can't run a club review and make this sort of decision while everyone still has a week of work to do, surely.

So the "presentation for his job" was a myth IMO. As I said, more likely that the normal end of season reports/reviews are being done this week rather than wait a month for the next board meeting or calling an extraordinary meeting. Get the normal stuff done, get Leppa's read on things, hear from others at the club so they can get on with identifying and or appointing the new guy, as from Monday.

I must say, I have zero knowledge on this and it is all just my read of it.

View attachment 280014
Hmmm...

In other news be nice to know who his 'source' is.
Yeah, Leppa 100% gone after that comment (if true). A week perfectly aligns to his last game as coach and then they can swiftly put an end to the Leppa years. Leppa tried but with both of his hands tied behind his back it was always going to be a struggle no matter who coached. Can't wait for the off season to commence have to say I'm fairly excited to who the AFL have cherry picked for us as head coach/assistants, a list regeneration could also be on the cards with a slim chance of a PP. Exciting times ahead for Lions fans.

Leppitsch said he values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision? And if he hasn't been told of that already made decision...then it smacks of dishonesty.

How is that considered and respectful if no matter what Leppitsch presents, the board aren't going to consider that presentation in their decision?

Perception is the key word I guess. Public/member perception. Like justice needs to be 'seen' to be done. Cynical perhaps.

Yeah, Leppa 100% gone after that comment (if true). A week perfectly aligns to his last game as coach and then they can swiftly put an end to the Leppa years. Leppa tried but with both of his hands tied behind his back it was always going to be a struggle no matter who coached. Can't wait for the off season to commence have to say I'm fairly excited to who the AFL have cherry picked for us as head coach/assistants, a list regeneration could also be on the cards with a slim chance of a PP. Exciting times ahead for Lions fans.
Wow. That is an optimistic comment. If exciting means rebuild, play like crap for another 3 years, sack another coach, and repeat the excercise, then I'm excited!!

Leppitsch said he values Matthews' honesty. Matthews is on the board. Why go through the farce of a presentation if the decision has been made? Why would Leppitsch bother if he has already been told of that decision? And if he hasn't been told of that already made decision...then it smacks of dishonesty.

How is that considered and respectful if no matter what Leppitsch presents, the board aren't going to consider that presentation in their decision?

Reckon the presentation is more on what has occurred in sticking with the plan presented when his contract was extended.. as TBD has said this review has been planned for some time...Here's what Swann said back in May..

Brisbane was on a "journey" of blooding youngsters from which it would not be changing course.
"We are going down the path of trying to play these kids and get games into them.
"We've got a young team and the club knows that and we're actually giving preference to these kids to get games into them. We think they're going to be good players for us long-term but you do have a bit of pain along the way."
Swann denied that Leppitsch, who has won only 12 of 55 games as head coach, had lost confidence in his abilities.
" 'Leppa' knows where we're at, we know where we're at, we'll probably have a few more young players debut in the next few weeks," he said.
The former Carlton and Collingwood chief also quashed suggestions that Leppitsch had lost his players.
"I think there's been 19 re-signed, so if they're all upset and don't like the coach, I'm not sure that would've happened," Swann said.
The Lions have had major trouble retaining talent in recent years and Swann said it was "incumbent" on the club to become an attractive place for players.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...justin-leppitsch-his-job-20160606-gpd4df.html

Reckon the presentation is more on what has occurred in sticking with the plan presented when his contract was extended.. as TBD has said this review has been planned for some time...Here's what Swann said back in May..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...justin-leppitsch-his-job-20160606-gpd4df.html

Well, going on that Leppa should still have a job if they are fair dinkum..

It really pees me off that they cave in and don't follow what they preach.. Gutless wonders, all of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

t

It really pees me off that they cave in and don't follow what they preach.. Gutless wonders, all of them.

Yep, it's interesting ...
Edit:
Wonder how far the review goes?...is this where Leigh hands his resignation backing Leppa to stick to the plan..?

Last edited:
Not sure why the Board seems to be copping it as much as they are for (potentially) changing their minds.

If I ran a business and it was performing as badly as what we have this year (and last), I wouldn't be doing my job as a leader of the organisation if I didn't make some pretty substantial changes, even if 6 months ago those changes weren't on my radar.

Not sure why the Board seems to be copping it as much as they are for (potentially) changing their minds.

If I ran a business and it was performing as badly as what we have this year (and last), I wouldn't be doing my job as a leader of the organisation if I didn't make some pretty substantial changes, even if 6 months ago those changes weren't on my radar.
Perhaps we should pat the board on the back for RE-signing Leppa at the beginning of the year?

Some changes have been made .3-4..assistant coaches gone // possibly the Head Coach -(leaks are saying gone)// and possibly a board member.. perception of doing a good job

Perhaps we should pat the board on the back for RE-signing Leppa at the beginning of the year?
That was clearly a mistake in hindsight and it will be interesting to see whether or not they own that mistake if and when the decision to move on is made.

They would gain a lot more respect from the fans/members by owning that decision, admitting they got it wrong and putting in a proper process about a way to move forward. I'm not expecting them to do that mind you.

Some changes have been made .3-4..assistant coaches gone // possibly the Head Coach -(leaks are saying gone)// and possibly a board member.. perception of doing a good job
Only one of those things (assistant coaches) has so far been confirmed.

So again I get back to the point in regards to running a business and using 'business terms'.

Is removing 3-4 'supervisors' (assistant coaches) enough of a change for the years we've had under Leppa or would the leaders of an organisation be removing the 'CEO' (Leppa) if their business was going as well as ours?

Only one of those things (assistant coaches) has so far been confirmed.

So again I get back to the point in regards to running a business and using 'business terms'.

Is removing 3-4 'supervisors' (assistant coaches) enough of a change for the years we've had under Leppa or would the leaders of an organisation be removing the 'Commissioner' (Leppa) if their business was going as well as ours?

Depends on the review doesn't it and how well Leppa performs ....who knows removing the assistants and the resignation of the board member, seen as the mentor of Leppa, may be considered enough..

I think even with the path we have taken (young side, blooding the kids etc.) our total lack of competitiveness in any facet of the game for three straight years is absolutely unacceptable though.

Even with a young side you can be competitive, cop the occasional belting and win a few, while heading in an upwards direction.

I just cant see any point over the last three years where I have felt like the players are playing for Leppa, and sticking to a gameplan (for more than 2 weeks in a row)

There are enough elements to put a fairly strong case forward that we should keep Leppa. Unfortunately, I think there are also enough elements (primarily W/L + score against + maybe also lack of development) which work against him and which probably can't be overcome in this industry - especially by a club that is in such a weak position as ours.

One of the biggest and most obvious questions I would be asking is whether there is enough evidence to suggest that he can turn it around next year and do enough to deserve a further contract extension. I would hazard a guess that the answer to that is no. So the only outcome in this scenario is that he is sacked next year instead of this year. Not sure how much more the club can take in terms of a performance similar to this year and the pressure that brings. Had we had a more successful era under Voss and had then moved into this list turnover and development phase I think he would have been given more time.

It is a tough gig in a tough industry but eventually the numbers get you regardless of the plan you put forth I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back