Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to point the finger at the blokes who made the decision to bring Leppa in. At Richmond he would have been 3rd or 4th in line of seniority and relatively still inexperienced. We then go and make him the big kahuna responsible for our whole football operation. I equate it to a making an early career teacher the principal of a 500 plus school. This is a complete and utter recipe for disaster! Now we are witnessing the disaster unfold.
Sorry, but blaming Leigh Matthews is not the answer. I think any inexperienced coach who came in when Leppa came in would have been slammed. The club, and the coaching position at the time was a disaster waiting to happen. The talented youngsters at the club at the time walked. The club was already completely under resourced (see Voss's comments). The free agency period had just opened up, GWS & GC were hoarding the best talent in the country for years, giving the all the best trading cards as well. We still had shit facilities back then, and the last of the senior experienced players that commanded respect were at the end. Remember how any coach with other options was taking other options? Only the desperate were willing to have a crack at it... and that's what we got in the end.

Leppa was on a hiding to nothing.

I finally conceded defeat. I agree, the coach and entire coaching panel should be changed at season end, and giving most of the assistants are walking anyway, it makes things easier.
This year has been too damaging, and even though the thrashing we got on the weekend was against a side that could ultimately play off in the grand final, it is clear that the players are done. When you link it up with the belting at home the week before from Port (who subsequently got annihilated by Sydney) and everything else that's happened after round 10 - the players need a change. I don't see how Leppa can pull it back over the summer break, and if we start off on the wrong foot next season god knows where it will end. We can't afford to have another complete disaster next season. Whether Leppa can or can't coach, we can't afford another year to find out - the second half of this season has been so bad that regardless what he has been up against, it has to end now.
Better to have a clean break at the end of the season, than mid-season sacking next year. Get the right team (coaching team) in over the off-season and it could be the boost to inspire the players for the new season or at the very least give them something to believe in and give them some self respect.

As from my previous post, Leppa had no chance. The fixture this season pretty much nailed it. We will never know if an easier fixture would have made a difference - though in my opinion we showed enough in the first 8 rounds that we could have nabbed a few wins early. Whether that would have changed anything come this point of the season is another matter... if we'd fallen away at the end regardless, we could still be in the same position.

It's a shame that Voss and now Leppa have both been torched through combination of bad appointments and bad timing and no resource. I hope whoever is the next coach (and I'm hoping for Ratten), they don't have to live with the same impediments Voss & Leppa have had to work with. All indications are that they won't - I guess unfortunately for the club, this season has seen us hit rock bottom and the AFL finally appear to have taken notice with more funding and commitment with real assistance with new facilities.

I've changed my vote, and regardless of if we pull one out of the bag against Carlton on the weekend, it's not changing back.

**Disclaimer: in the extremely unlikely event that Leppa survives and next season isn't a complete disaster, I reserve the right to be happy... but I won't be issuing any "I told you so's".

Last edited:

The quality of our clearances are still very poor. Riska style bombs from the clearances mainly.

Taking the Coach's words at face value- that is, that many of our current seniors shouldn't be out there except he has no option but to play them (and FWIW I agree with him): well, how the hell did we get to this place?

Isn't that the obvious question? Just how are we left with this disastrous situation?

On AFL 360 just now: tomorrow a full analysis of these questions.

Taking the Coach's words at face value- that is, that many of our current seniors shouldn't be out there except he has no option but to play them (and FWIW I agree with him): well, how the hell did we get to this place?

Isn't that the obvious question? Just how are we left with this disastrous situation?

On AFL 360 just now: tomorrow a full analysis of these questions.
Are they discussing on AFL360 today, or discussing on AFL360 tomorrow?

I finally conceded defeat. I agree, the coach and entire coaching panel should be changed at season end, and giving most of the assistants are walking anyway, it makes things easier.
This year has been too damaging, and even though the thrashing we got on the weekend was against a side that could ultimately play off in the grand final, it is clear that the players are done. When you link it up with the belting at home the week before from Port (who subsequently got annihilated by Sydney) and everything else that's happened after round 10 - the players need a change. I don't see how Leppa can pull it back over the summer break, and if we start off on the wrong foot next season god knows where it will end. We can't afford to have another complete disaster next season. Whether Leppa can or can't coach, we can't afford another year to find out - the second half of this season has been so bad that regardless what he has been up against, it has to end now.
Better to have a clean break at the end of the season, than mid-season sacking next year. Get the right team (coaching team) in over the off-season and it could be the boost to inspire the players for the new season or at the very least give them something to believe in and give them some self respect.

As from my previous post, Leppa had no chance. The fixture this season pretty much nailed it. We will never know if an easier fixture would have made a difference - though in my opinion we showed enough in the first 8 rounds that we could have nabbed a few wins early. Whether that would have changed anything come this point of the season is another matter... if we'd fallen away at the end regardless, we could still be in the same position.

It's a shame that Voss and now Leppa have both been torched through combination of bad appointments and bad timing and no resource. I hope whoever is the next coach (and I'm hoping for Ratten), they don't have to live with the same impediments Voss & Leppa have had to work with. All indications are that they won't - I guess unfortunately for the club, this season has seen us hit rock bottom and the AFL finally appear to have taken notice with more funding and commitment with real assistance with new facilities.

I've changed my vote, and regardless of if we pull one out of the bag against Carlton on the weekend, it's not changing back.

**Disclaimer: in the extremely unlikely event that Leppa survives and next season isn't a complete disaster, I reserve the right to be happy... but I won't be issuing any "I told you so's".
Problem is, Getting a new Coach will probably just put us more years behind. They will want to turn over the list and we just go through the whole debacle again. Without investment from the AFL, we will be going through exactly the same questions around sacking our next coach in 3 years time, because without real support it ain't getting any better.

I agree Dany Daly seems to have improved our contested clearances and thats a big tick for him. That said we should be winning clearances around the ground as we tend to have more players around the ball. Other teams are structured more behind the ball and front of the ball. We need to find the right mix of winning contested ball and having structure to utilise winning that ball.

The good sides when they win the ball in tight are capable of dishing it out to a spot where they know their team mates will be and then they move the ball in a structured system. I can't help but think we put everything into winning the ball but then we have 3 players standing with him 5 metres of each other and either turn it over or get tackled. And if we do get it out we have a couple forwards who are out numbered by defenders.

Problem is, Getting a new Coach will probably just put us more years behind. They will want to turn over the list and we just go through the whole debacle again. Without investment from the AFL, we will be going through exactly the same questions around sacking our next coach in 3 years time, because without real support it ain't getting any better.
It's a risk worth taking. We do have a good young list, and however many young players have resigned. Let's say we take the risk and go forward with Leppa. If it turns out he can't coach then next year will be worse than this year, and we probably lose players at the end of it, or have mid-season turmoil - on top of players possible demanding out at the end of this season. The alternative is a smooth and easy transition to a new coach who can already start whatever work he is going to do this season, and maybe the players have some hope of something to believe in over the off-season.

Leppa may have done a fantastic job of building a good list for another coach to come in and reap the benefits next season and going forward which would be sad for him.

For me, replacing him is the lesser of 2 evils.

Edit: the AFL have already committed investment. They will be paying our salary cap to 100%. They are committing funds to bring our football department spending up to the soft cap limit. They are committed to assisting with the new facilities. All things that should help get a new coach onboard. All things at we shouldn't be wasting by continuing along the current path.

That said we should be winning clearances around the ground as we tend to have more players around the ball.
Would have agreed with this last year but not sure it is true this year. I think we generally numbered up the same as the opposition most weeks.

Would have agreed with this last year but not sure it is true this year. I think we generally numbered up the same as the opposition most weeks.

For throw ins and ball ups around the ground we tend to have an extra player or two and the opposition often have a player just outside the contest who they can dish it off to if they win possession.

That said our centre square clearances have improved dramatically and with a fit Beams back you would think it can continue an upward trend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know the board are very conscious of letting Leppa go as painlessly as possible after the Voss fiasco but I have to admit I am partially worried that it will get a little ugly nonetheless.

Leppa, whether you agree with him or not, seems to be a true believer in the path he has taken with the list and that the upward trajectory is on the way. He has also reiterated several times that the board and CEO fully endorsed the approach he has taken. He came out swinging at the AFL this weekend, and I can't help but fear we could be next if he feels the club made a commitment to him and his plan and then cut and run. Obviously the numbers look very bad but if he truly believes the plan is unfolding in line with his expectations, then he really may feel betrayed, resentful and angry.

As an aside, I was in favour of his contract extension at the start of the year. I was terrified by the first half of the fixture and thought the only way to protect him from unbearable scrutiny and pressure would be to sign him for the extra year and give him a chance to ride out the early fixture and notch 6-8 wins by season end as a good platform for next year. I did not see a 2 win season coming at all. In hindsight the contract extension has come back to bite us, not just financially but also in terms of giving Leppa reason to believe he got left to carry the can for a plan that the executive signed off on.

I really hope it doesn't get ugly. He's a champion of our club.

It's a risk worth taking. We do have a good young list, and however many young players have resigned. Let's say we take the risk and go forward with Leppa. If it turns out he can't coach then next year will be worse than this year, and we probably lose players at the end of it, or have mid-season turmoil - on top of players possible demanding out at the end of this season. The alternative is a smooth and easy transition to a new coach who can already start whatever work he is going to do this season, and maybe the players have some hope of something to believe in over the off-season.

Leppa may have done a fantastic job of building a good list for another coach to come in and reap the benefits next season and going forward which would be sad for him.

For me, replacing him is the lesser of 2 evils.

Edit: the AFL have already committed investment. They will be paying our salary cap to 100%. They are committing funds to bring our football department spending up to the soft cap limit. They are committed to assisting with the new facilities. All things that should help get a new coach onboard. All things at we shouldn't be wasting by continuing along the current path.
Accept much of what you say, but of course depends on who the Coach will be. I guess I'm currently so despondent, my teenage sons don't even want to go to games, we probably won't become members next year ... Along with 2 /3 reds of people we sit near, that ANYTHING that can give us some hope may be better. I just can't see much improvement for years .... If anything, as hard as it is to believe, I'm not even sure we haven't even bottomed out yet, almost irrespective of coach.

Just taking a step sideways into the realms of assistant coaches (mostly due to being unsure where this belongs).

My old man was talking about the club flying up a coach for a visit, from a team in Tasmania's north. He isn't a huge footy person, but said the bloke in question has spoken to a team in Perth and Adelaide already.

A quick scout of the coaches of teams in the Tassie State League that fit the bill: Paul Dodds, Zane Littlejohn, Chris Hills, Clinton Proctor and most interestingly Mitch Thorp...

Have tasked my old man with shaking a tree or two for a name when he is back at work. He tended to think it was for an assistant role, but Mitch Thorp opens a few more lines of thought.

Any of our Tasmanian correspondents have any details on the suitability of the aforementioned blokes?

Accept much of what you say, but of course depends on who the Coach will be. I guess I'm currently so despondent, my teenage sons don't even want to go to games, we probably won't become members next year ... Along with 2 /3 reds of people we sit near, that ANYTHING that can give us some hope may be better. I just can't see much improvement for years .... If anything, as hard as it is to believe, I'm not even sure we haven't even bottomed out yet, almost irrespective of coach.
Stick fat and re-sign up. Teach your boys about loyalty, resilience and character. Life isn't always about being a winner. Victorian clubs have built their successes by seeing through hard times and building culture and passion through generations. Brissy Lions supporters need to step out of the idea that its a theatre show and realise that being a Lion is a commitment and part of your being.
Get on and stay on! This club is going nowhere until Brissy public make a statement and show genuine support!

I would count on the AFL doing everything in their power to get some positive news at the Lions in the off-season. They have recent history of helping out the current basket case, and that the moment Brisbane clearly take that mantle. My guess is they'll be "assisting" in the search for a new coach, pushing hard to get some form of formal announcement on new facilities, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised at a PP (if we're not eligible this year, I hate to think of what state a club needs to be in to get one). We can certainly count on some backlash from other supporters if it all comes to fruition (and read the comments in the HUN to see the hatred that is out there before we've been given anything), but who gives a sh*t if it gets us on a new road...

Stick fat and re-sign up. Teach your boys about loyalty, resilience and character. Life isn't always about being a winner. Victorian clubs have built their successes by seeing through hard times and building culture and passion through generations. Brissy Lions supporters need to step out of the idea that its a theatre show and realise that being a Lion is a commitment and part of your being.
Get on and stay on! This club is going nowhere until Brissy public make a statement and show genuine support!

In theory I agree wholeheartedly.....but I'm wavering if they end up treating Leppa anywhere near like they did with Voss.

If our club was to do that twice, and not learn from the first mistake, then I want no part of a club that cannot respect our club champs and treat them (or any future coach for that matter) in a respectful and dignified matter.

If Leppa must go, then do it with decorum and class.

In theory I agree wholeheartedly.....but I'm wavering if they end up treating Leppa anywhere near like they did with Voss.

If our club was to do that twice, and not learn from the first mistake, then I want no part of a club that cannot respect our club champs and treat them (or any future coach for that matter) in a respectful and dignified matter.

If Leppa must go, then do it with decorum and class.
I think that's happening. While his contract is likely to be terminated (which is in itself a slap in the face), they haven't taken a knee jerk reaction (yet) and sacked him on the back of a bad result - and today was the prime opportunity to do so. By letting him see out the season they can sit down and have the honest discussion behind closed doors. It may still well be painful, but in the end the numbers don't lie. If the memory of the Voss debacle wasn't so fresh, i'm sure he would have been shown the door already.
If the board does this, then it's up to Leppa to accept the board decision in the same manor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back