Is our 3 pronged KPF team going to work? Smack, Walker, Tex

Remove this Banner Ad

I think predicable is way under rated.

North Melbourne were predictable when they won 2 flags, so were Brisbane when they won 3 and Geelong heck, they are still precdicable actually to think of it So were the Saints and Collingwood are even more so.

You can be predictable when you've got Carey.

you can be predicable when you're winning.

don't get me wrong, teams have plan B but when they are winning they do the same thing over and over again

Essentially yes - every premiership team has a winning plan which they excel at - but with scope for variation.

Example - In the 99 Grand Final Carey was being soundly held at CHF. Pagan moved him onto the ball (I think in the 3rd quarter) where he had half a dozen pivotal possesions which helped swing the game in North's favour. That's anything but predictable.

And those in the opposite "It's not Craig's fault because..." camp would be equally tedious I gather?

Yes - it's not so much the opinion but the repetiveness that's frustrating.

I'm struggling to remember when all three of them have actually been in the forward line at once - outside of the occasions where everyone on the ground bar the Crow with the free kick and the man on the mark are inside our attacking 50.

Near as I can tell it has only ever been one or two of them at once, with the third either relieving in the ruck and hence near the ball or more often the half back line area of the zone, or on the bench while Maric/Jacobs have been doing their lead ruck business.

I'm struggling to remember when all three of them have actually been in the forward line at once - outside of the occasions where everyone on the ground bar the Crow with the free kick and the man on the mark are inside our attacking 50.

Near as I can tell it has only ever been one or two of them at once, with the third either relieving in the ruck and hence near the ball or more often the half back line area of the zone, or on the bench while Maric/Jacobs have been doing their lead ruck business.
Definitely.

You'd never park all three of them in the forward 50 at once. It will take a fair bit of coordination on their part to cover the ground and set up the structure properly. Good on the club for giving them a string of games together to help the combination gel too.

Yes - it's not so much the opinion but the repetiveness that's frustrating.
Point taken. Will try to come up with some new material :)

And this is why it did work against the Blues.

We do need a small forward/crumber. Would love to see Tim Milera be that player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How far away is Wingnut.
Got to say it would be good cheering when he does something good and not jeering him.
Still 4-5 weeks, according to Calum & Dave on Team Thursday. He'll definitely need to prove himself in the SANFL before getting promoted off the rookie list.

The structure will work if we have 2 crumbers front and square of Smack and Tipp at all times. This is where we fall down in our "bomb it long to the talls" game style. Too often Tipp and Smack create a contest, usually 1 on 2, the ball comes to the front and the opposition bring it out uncontested. Shits me to tears most times.

Callinan (when he's right) and Wright are the 2 best crumbers we have and should each have a tall forward to be permanently attached to, so the long ball in gives a twofold chance of creating scoring opportunities or, at the very least, holding the ball in our forward 50.

And this is why it did work against the Blues.

We do need a small forward/crumber. Would love to see Tim Milera be that player.

Of all our SANFL players this weekend I would like to see none other than Milera kick 7 and get a B.O.G. And I hate Port! We need that kid to become a star..... Callinan is only a short term fix

The structure will work if we have 2 crumbers front and square of Smack and Tipp at all times. This is where we fall down in our "bomb it long to the talls" game style. Too often Tipp and Smack create a contest, usually 1 on 2, the ball comes to the front and the opposition bring it out uncontested. Shits me to tears most times.

Callinan (when he's right) and Wright are the 2 best crumbers we have and should each have a tall forward to be permanently attached to, so the long ball in gives a twofold chance of creating scoring opportunities or, at the very least, holding the ball in our forward 50.

When roving the pack it is better to come in from the side as the ball is as likely to go over the back as to fall forward. Rovers need to read the wind--wind in your face the ball is more likely to go over the back, wind in your back more likely forward.
In these days of sides almost always having numbers behind the ball there is a strong likelihood of forwards being outnumbered when contesting the ball. Also, when the ball comes in long it gives defenders the opportunity to move to the fall of the ball--it isn't simply double-teaming of Tippett, although that is a minor factor.
We need to be smarter up forward and we need to find ways of creating space by intelligent dummy leads to create one-on-ones for Tippett, Walker, McKernan and Knights.
There were signs of this in the game against Carlton. Let's hope it starts a trend.

Couldn’t find the best original Tex thread to post to but this one seemed to represent elements of our board quite well :)

Veteran forward Taylor Walker re-signs with Adelaide for the 2025 AFL season​

Taylor Walker is officially playing on in 2025 at the Crows. The star forward is eager to help Adelaide rise back up the ladder and finish his career a one-club player.

Taylor Walker has the chance to become just the fifth Crow to play 300 games after signing a new one-year contract.
Walker will enter next season on 278 matches as he closes in on a milestone that only four fellow club greats have reached.

The 34-year-old would join Andrew McLeod, Tyson Edwards, Mark Ricciuto and Ben Hart as 300-game players for Adelaide.

Walker’s extension was confirmed on Wednesday after weeks of speculation about his future.

Coming off his first All-Australian campaign and personal-best 76 goals in 2023, the veteran spearhead was hampered by a back issue this season.

He played 18 matches and kicked 29 majors, his lowest output since 2020.

Crows list manager Justin Reid said what Walker brought to the club on and off the field was immeasurable.

“The fact that his playing career is continuing well into his 30s speaks to his professionalism and the way he approaches his training and preparation,” Reid said.

“He drives high standards and makes his teammates better and we’re very pleased that will continue for another season.”

Walker is the Crows’ all-time leading goalkicker with 641 and sits equal-fifth at the club for games played.

He looms as an important mentor for Darcy Fogarty and Riley Thilthorpe in 2025 after their improvement this year, as well as father-son prospect Tyler Welsh.

Fogarty booted a career-high 41 goals from 23 matches, Thilthorpe kicked 15 from seven games on his return from a knee injury and Welsh was expected to be drafted to the Crows.

Walker, a childhood Adelaide supporter who joined the club in 2007 and made his AFL debut in 2009, was determined to help it climb the ladder in 2025.

The Crows finished 15th this year.

“Being a one-club player means a lot to me and I still feel I have plenty to contribute to the team,” Walker said.

“I love working with our exciting young forward line and get a lot of satisfaction out of seeing them develop their own games.

“As a team, we didn’t get the results we wanted this year, but that only makes me more determined to continue working hard to get our club back to where it belongs.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our 3 pronged KPF team going to work? Smack, Walker, Tex

Remove this Banner Ad

Back