• Splinters/Too early

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If you genuinely think this game was close you didn’t watch it. Lions went to sleep after the freak event that was the power outage. We were -28 in clearances lol that’s the worst differential I’ve ever seen.

Hes here for intellectual discussion, like ladder position after round 8 and final scores, stop being so basic.

If you genuinely think this game was close you didn’t watch it. Lions went to sleep after the freak event that was the power outage. We were -28 in clearances lol that’s the worst differential I’ve ever seen.
The score is the score. What's the point in dealing in what ifs? What if Gawn isn't injured? What if we would have made a bigger comeback without the delay? And all that is beside the point that if you're paying attention you would notice our game plan isn't about clearances.

The final score was close. Just deal in the actual facts. People in this thread are just trying to use so many excuses to paint the picture they want.

Hes here for intellectual discussion, like ladder position after round 8 and final scores, stop being so basic.
Apologies for using actual facts, let's get back to metaphors and imaginary numerically based opinion ratings. Solid as.

The score is the score. What's the point in dealing in what ifs? What if Gawn isn't injured? What if we would have made a bigger comeback without the delay? And all that is beside the point that if you're paying attention you would notice our game plan isn't about clearances.

The final score was close. Just deal in the actual facts. People in this thread are just trying to use so many excuses to paint the picture they want.

No coach says ‘I’m happy to have nearly half the clearance count the opposition has’. We also conceded a shit load that night from F50 stoppage which is a very bad reflection on us.

In 2021 we had the lightning strike game against the eagles, they came back at us after the players went back on. We won that game by a similar margin to Brisbane, by your logic the eagles weren’t far off us based off that game.

Everyone is (Fairly) waiting for us to play the good sides to see where we measure up. Beating shit teams isn’t a concern, last year we didn’t drop a game to the bottom 10. I don’t get why you’re attacking everyone who suggests we need to wait a while to know if we are a legit chance at the flag.

No coach says ‘I’m happy to have nearly half the clearance count the opposition has’. We also conceded a s**t load that night from F50 stoppage which is a very bad reflection on us.

In 2021 we had the lightning strike game against the eagles, they came back at us after the players went back on. We won that game by a similar margin to Brisbane, by your logic the eagles weren’t far off us based off that game.

Everyone is (Fairly) waiting for us to play the good sides to see where we measure up. Beating s**t teams isn’t a concern, last year we didn’t drop a game to the bottom 10. I don’t get why you’re attacking everyone who suggests we need to wait a while to know if we are a legit chance at the flag.

What happened is what happened. We lost by 11 to Brisbane, a top 4 team, at home. We didn't "get flogged" by them. The same poster is arguing it's "silly" to use other comparisons based around actual results, so the narrative there is completely transparent.

I'm not attacking anyone who says we'll have a better picture once we play more top quality teams, I completely agree with that.

What I don't agree with is the posters here using what ifs, opinions, imaginary ratings and the reality of the fixture as reasons for them to say we're no chance at a flag. Posters here are just reaching for reasons to say we're s**t, rather than dealing in the actual reality.

What happened is what happened. We lost by 11 to Brisbane, a top 4 team, at home. We didn't "get flogged" by them. The same poster is arguing it's "silly" to use other comparisons based around actual results, so the narrative there is completely transparent.

I'm not attacking anyone who says we'll have a better picture once we play more top quality teams, I completely agree with that.

What I don't agree with is the posters here using what ifs, opinions, imaginary ratings and the reality of the fixture as reasons for them to say we're no chance at a flag. Posters here are just reaching for reasons to say we're s**t, rather than dealing in the actual reality.

No one has said we are no chance or we are shit though, that’s a strawman. If anything I’d say the board has been pretty fair on the team after the suns game as the suns played well at their home ground, personally I always felt it’d be a tough fixture and I’m very glad to walk away with the win.

The issue is you’re the one bumping this thread continually to try and provoke arguments after we are beating bad teams mate. I’m completely ok with you being right and rubbing it in peoples faces come end of season, but let’s wait until then for the vitriol yeah?

No one has said we are no chance or we are s**t though, that’s a strawman. If anything I’d say the board has been pretty fair on the team after the suns game as the suns played well at their home ground, personally I always felt it’d be a tough fixture and I’m very glad to walk away with the win.

The issue is you’re the one bumping this thread continually to try and provoke arguments after we are beating bad teams mate. I’m completely ok with you being right and rubbing it in peoples faces come end of season, but let’s wait until then for the vitriol yeah?

From the OP: "But, it’s hard to see us winning s**t if we’re hoping and praying that the big boys magically recapture their best form without adding to the squad or getting some drastic improvement from within."

Fair point on the bumps, it's mostly because the main posters in this thread have tried to have cracks at me elsewhere.

From the OP: "But, it’s hard to see us winning s**t if we’re hoping and praying that the big boys magically recapture their best form without adding to the squad or getting some drastic improvement from within."

Fair point on the bumps, it's mostly because the main posters in this thread have tried to have cracks at me elsewhere.

There’s literally nothing wrong with that OP, pretty obvious by winning shit he means winning another premiership.

Stop cherry picking to suit your agenda. Facts are that in the first 3 quarters boys were tired, 6 day break, sad for Gawny and it wasn’t us. Once the power stopped that was the real game. Facts.

We’ve also been battling a horrific injury list. Just you wait until we get Toby Mclean Christian Salem and Lin Jong Charlie Spargo back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year we cruised along with basically the same team and same setup as 2021. Fair enough. That team and setup won us a flag. We sat 10-0 after 10 games.
This year we sit 2nd at 6-2. Goody is tinkering this year. We’ve played debutants we’ve played guys in the 2s who were all walk up starts last year. Rotating more players through the middle. The coaching group have learnt. It’s just about settling on a best 22 and a set up heading into the second half of the season. We’re well placed and I look forward to playing some of the better sides over the next month or so.

Last edited:
Last year we cruised along with basically the same team and same setup as 2021. Fair enough. That team and setup won us a flag. We sat 10-0 after 10 games.
This year we sit 2nd at 6-2. Goody is tinkering this year. We’ve played debutants we’ve played guys in the 2s who we’re all up starts last year. Rotating more players through the middle. The coaching group have learnt. It’s just about settling on a best 22 and a set up heading into the second half of the season. We’re well placed and I look forward to playing some of the better sides over the next month or so.
Great post. Exactly how I feel.

The flag is there to be won, we're one of a bunch of sides who could emerge as frontrunners if we hit our straps second half of the season.

Personally though I'd have us a few pegs behind Collingwood and a peg behind Geelong. Roughly level with the Lions.

For varying reasons I'd have Essendon, Saints, Crows and Swans as long shots, although not without some chance.

The flag is there to be won, we're one of a bunch of sides who could emerge as frontrunners if we hit our straps second half of the season.

Personally though I'd have us a few pegs behind Collingwood and a peg behind Geelong. Roughly level with the Lions.

For varying reasons I'd have Essendon, Saints, Crows and Swans as long shots, although not without some chance.

The fact that Collingwood appear to be the frontrunner makes me think our window, particularly this season, is wide open. I don't think we're a few pegs behind Collingwood - on talent I think we're ahead, but roughly even overall. But unfortunately, we just don't match up well on them and that would still be the case if they were a middle of the road or even bottom rung team.

I acknowledge begrudingly that Collingwood play with great intensity, but it continues to be remarkable the amount of games they've won by their opposition shooting themselves in the foot. Happened half a dozen times last year. This year - Essendon on anzac day, the Crows kicking 7.16 or whatever, even the Sydney game on the weekend - Sydney were diabolical and yet for large parts of the 2nd/3rd quarter they dominated the game - only to miss several easy set shots to pull them well ahead.

You might think I'm exhibiting some sour grapes and perhaps I am - and obviously Collingwood's finals record last year suggests they are well and truly a premiership contender. But they are also very capable of being blown away (like Brisbane did earlier in the year), if teams can just continue on and hold their nerve.

The result of all these close wins they've had unfortunately is that Collingwood seem to have a unshakeable belief now which is actually causing opponents to screw up more than usual and cough up seemingly unassailable leads.

With 15 games to go 9 of those are at the MCG and 1 at Marvel.
The fact that Collingwood appear to be the frontrunner makes me think our window, particularly this season, is wide open. I don't think we're a few pegs behind Collingwood - on talent I think we're ahead, but roughly even overall. But unfortunately, we just don't match up well on them and that would still be the case if they were a middle of the road or even bottom rung team.

I acknowledge begrudingly that Collingwood play with great intensity, but it continues to be remarkable the amount of games they've won by their opposition shooting themselves in the foot. Happened half a dozen times last year. This year - Essendon on anzac day, the Crows kicking 7.16 or whatever, even the Sydney game on the weekend - Sydney were diabolical and yet for large parts of the 2nd/3rd quarter they dominated the game - only to miss several easy set shots to pull them well ahead.

You might think I'm exhibiting some sour grapes and perhaps I am - and obviously Collingwood's finals record last year suggests they are well and truly a premiership contender. But they are also very capable of being blown away (like Brisbane did earlier in the year), if teams can just continue on and hold their nerve.

The result of all these close wins they've had unfortunately is that Collingwood seem to have a unshakeable belief now which is actually causing opponents to screw up more than usual and cough up seemingly unassailable leads.
Collingwood have also shown their hand. I don't think they have any surprises to come later in the year or at finals and this includes positioning of players in the team. They got very lucky against Sydney this round though bad goal kicking by the swans but I think the swans worked them out a bit.

Melbourne on the other hand do not have a final team I think they are trying to find the best mix of personal now for later in the season. Things like how much does Petracca attend the centre bounces for example and the overall look of the forward line and defence.

It will be interesting to see if teams start to work out Collingwood as we get further into the season. If not then good on them. But I believe that Melbourne can win the GF on their own merit with this squad.

Without getting subjective about it, simple win loss over the last 12 months of footy has the pies ahead of us.

They also have much better kicking skills across their team and bring pressure on the ball carrier consistently.

We can certainly beat them but if we played them this weekend they’d be deserved clear favourites.

Collingwood have us covered on paper and in reality, they are squeezing the talent out of their best players meanwhile we have May, Lever, Trac, Fritta, Langdon etc not playing at AA level. You can flip that as a positive but it's no guarantee in my mind they just suddenly find form.

Collingwood have us covered on paper and in reality, they are squeezing the talent out of their best players meanwhile we have May, Lever, Trac, Fritta, Langdon etc not playing at AA level. You can flip that as a positive but it's no guarantee in my mind they just suddenly find form.
I actually like their lesser lights, they are getting the best out of guys like noble, quanor, Murphy, mccreery. They never star but always have a crack.

I actually like their lesser lights, they are getting the best out of guys like noble, quanor, Murphy, mccreery. They never star but always have a crack.
Even someone like Frampton. Mihocek seems to give you a solid 7 or 8 every single week aswell. We spent a trillion dollars on the midfield, pies cut there's significantly and yet their midfield is performing better than ours 👾

Even someone like Frampton. Mihocek seems to give you a solid 7 or 8 every single week aswell. We spent a trillion dollars on the midfield, pies cut there's significantly and yet their midfield is performing better than ours 👾
Yep Framptom has stood up, love Mihocek always has a crack every week but I didn't lump him with the lesser lights humble beginnings but I rate him highly, not quite a super star but he's damn good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back