• Splinters/Too early

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What scares me is that we're not really seeing a progression from many of our players. Apart from Rivers, I can't think of anyone who's actually gotten better since last year. It also doesn't help that players like Langdon, Pickett and Brayshaw are going backwards.

From Grundy, I didn't expect him to do that much. Nor did I support the decision at the time. I personally didn't see him playing when he's 33 or 34 so the 5 year contract means equates to closer to a million a season if you factor in the shorter contract. Some may think he'll play to that age, i just personally dont.

In terms of skills, I think he's a good set shot but in general play he's making a lot of mistakes. A lot of clanger handballs and in the ruck he often grabs the ball out of the ruck and misses his foot altogether.

Against essendon he had 5 goals kicked on him by Draper and Phillips.

But to answer your question, I expected Grundy to,at the very least, be strong in the contest but for a big guy he gets ragdolled by much smaller opponents.

I feel like he's a polarising player. I'm just not seeing it.

danster you don't actually watch games if you think it was purely Grundys fault Draper/Phillips kicked 5. One of Drapers was a bizarre free kick given away by Tomlinson, another was because JVR completely failed to kill the ball.

I thought it was Grundy that failed to kill the ball? I'll re-watch it. But yeah, he got slammed for his lack of work rate on all the tv shows during the week. but Grundy isn't the problem with our form. There's much bigger issues for me.

JVR literally had a fresh air spoil which let the ball bounce and Draper snapped the goal.

We're not a contender this year. Far from it.

We chose to bring in Grundy which has shown to be a major fail imo. It's caused Gawn to be in career worst form and Grundy just has no coordination. He gets pushed over by guys half of his size. And his skills are deplorable. People said he was an upgrade on Jackson. He's shown that Jackson is miles ahead of him, as a forward and ruck.

We chose not to fix the forward line in the off season and that is also coming back to bite us. We knew Ben Brown and TMac were cooked but JVR is now showing that he lacks footy smarts. I think he'll become a good avg player but his lack of footy smarts will cap his potential. A lot of pressure on Jefferson now.

Thank Gosh we have a strong draft hand this year. We'll need to use every pick and not package up anything.

And now we're being led by a coach who probably needs to fall on his sword. Not tagging Butters will go down as one of the dumbest moves on his footy resume. In his post match presser he said that most of his damage was in the first half. It just shows that he has no idea. He had 17 and 2 goals including the 3/4 time match winner. Open your eyes Simon!

Ok rant over 😀
How you fit so many bad takes into one post is mind blowing

How do you do from JVR not playing blew our season last year to the kid sucks after 8 games or so this year. Amazing
You beat me to this.

danster168 you were literally carrying on like an absolute flog all summer stating that JVR was already a much better player then Brown and McDonald and that he should have played games last year, to now saying he's just a good average player?

Honestly would hate to go to war with you Danstar, you'd turn on your own mates quicker then I could count to 10.

Last edited:
You beat me to this.

danster168 you were literally carrying on like an absolute flog all summer stating that JVR was already a much better player then Brown and McDonald and that he should have played games last year, to now saying he's just a good average player?

Honestly would hate to go to war with you Danstar, you'd turn on your own mates quicker then I could count to 10.
Haha imagine, him at the trench, ready to go over and then all of a sudden he's doing his shoe laces up as the calls made "be right there"

As of Round 9 we were #1 for inside 50s but rank #11 for scores per inside 50. Tends to back up the eye test for our stinky ball movement forward of centre.
People won't listen to me on this but I wonder how many I50s Oliver gets and how many are effectual. This whole get it an bomb it and get 30 disposals doesn't help our team and I'll happily take flak for it

When he bombs it he bypasses Chandler/AnB/Spargo and it ruins their disposal count aswell. I'd almost rather him go back to the handball monster Oliver cause we score more from it

People won't listen to me on this but I wonder how many I50s Oliver gets and how many are effectual. This whole get it an bomb it and get 30 disposals doesn't help our team and I'll happily take flak for it

When he bombs it he bypasses Chandler/AnB/Spargo and it ruins their disposal count aswell. I'd almost rather him go back to the handball monster Oliver cause we score more from it

You've got a point but what also doesn't help is having our other key mids being similarly poor by foot. If we had better balance in there, Oliver could concentrate on doing what he does best and we'd be so much better off.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The losses we have had this year have solidified my opinion that at least for this year our flag chances are done.

I still think we can make a prelim, and from there anything can happen. But yeah it feels like we're a 3-7 team, certainly at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tend to agree but as a sidebar, Oliver’s handballing lately seems to be as honking as his kicking.

Tend to agree but as a sidebar, Oliver’s handballing lately seems to be as honking as his kicking.
Feel like he has really been affected by tags every week. If he's not being held onto there is always someone got on his tail - perceived pressure making him rush.

Really wish umps would call more holds on him. Also wish his teammates would fly the flag as well. We've just lost so much aura and mongrel the last couple of years, let's stop being nice.

Feel like he has really been affected by tags every week. If he's not being held onto there is always someone got on his tail - perceived pressure making him rush.

Really wish umps would call more holds on him. Also wish his teammates would fly the flag as well. We've just lost so much aura and mongrel the last couple of years, let's stop being nice.
Either that or god forbid use him as a dummy. It should leave others wide open but plan a b and c seem to be make him fight through it and see what happens

You beat me to this.

I think you're overestimating what I think of Brown. I don't want this to turn into another debate but to me Brown has always been a vfl player. I think JVR is much better. I think he's proven that already. There's elements of his game that I really like. If he turned out to be anywhere near Mihocek I'd be very happy with that. Mihocek is a good player and they have similar qualities.

He has a lot of friends with poor foot skills. Agree though, use him purely as an extractor.

Trigged watching Goody's press conference. Seriously triggered. Furious. Seeing red (and not a bit of blue).

I knew Simon was going to talk about momentum and I ****ing hate him for it. He does it every week. We made a goddamn film about momentum after we won the flag, we don't need him to talk about it in every goddamn press conference. We get it. It is not possible to be switched on, running flat out, nailing every disposal, and dominating every single contest for an entire 80 minutes of every single game in a full season of football.

But equally, "momentum" is not an excuse to turn around and pull our own pants down and smile at the opposition while they ****in' plough us every week (that's metaphor by the way, apologies for not having the creative skill to find a better one).

No one expected Melbourne to hold Hawthorn to a single goal in the second half but at the same time that bottom-of-the-ladder ALDI-midfield molested us for a solid ten minutes at the start of the third, and that wasn't some inherent magical force that is an part of the game, it's because our "greatest midfield of all time" came out and played like a bunch of entitled lazy campaigners who couldn't be ****ed putting in the required effort. I was embarrassed watching it. Which Top 4 side would let a bottom 4 side do that to them? None of them.

And then he's saying in the presser "oh yes, we had MANY conversations about Zac Butters... many!". Gee whiz I'd love to know how those conversations went!

"Goddamn son! Number 9 for Port Adelaide Power, who's that?"
"That's Zac Butters Simon"
"Boy oh boy is he tearing our club a new arseh*le right now!!!"
"Yup, sure is."
"Momentum!!!!!"

****ing weak pricks, the lot of them.

I knew we'd lose and I'm still pissed about it.

tl;dr **** this club and everyone in it.

Trigged watching Goody's press conference. Seriously triggered. Furious. Seeing red (and not a bit of blue).

I knew Simon was going to talk about momentum and I ******* hate him for it. He does it every week. We made a goddamn film about momentum after we won the flag, we don't need him to talk about it in every goddamn press conference. We get it. It is not possible to be switched on, running flat out, nailing every disposal, and dominating every single contest for an entire 80 minutes of every single game in a full season of football.

But equally, "momentum" is not an excuse to turn around and pull our own pants down and smile at the opposition while they *in' plough us every week (that's metaphor by the way, apologies for not having the creative skill to find a better one).

No one expected Melbourne to hold Hawthorn to a single goal in the second half but at the same time that bottom-of-the-ladder ALDI-midfield molested us for a solid ten minutes at the start of the third, and that wasn't some inherent magical force that is an part of the game, it's because our "greatest midfield of all time" came out and played like a bunch of entitled lazy campaigners who couldn't be ****ed putting in the required effort. I was embarrassed watching it. Which Top 4 side would let a bottom 4 side do that to them? None of them.

And then he's saying in the presser "oh yes, we had MANY conversations about Zac Butters... many!". Gee whiz I'd love to know how those conversations went!

"Goddamn son! Number 9 for Port Adelaide Power, who's that?"
"That's Zac Butters Simon"
"Boy oh boy is he tearing our club a new a-hole right now!!!"
"Yup, sure is."
"Momentum!!!!!"

******* weak pricks, the lot of them.

I knew we'd lose and I'm still pissed about it.

tl;dr * this club and everyone in it.
I haven't watched a Goody presser for a long time mainly because it's all a load of Robo answers and rubbish. Not surprised this one was any different.

I haven't watched a Goody presser for a long time mainly because it's all a load of Robo answers and rubbish. Not surprised this one was any different.
One thing I'll say about this presser is he looked genuinely pissed off, and I'd like to think he was in and equally foul mood with the players.

Owned up getting the midfield mix wrong as well, which was nice, but if the commentators and random bigfooty posters can see it surely someone in the box can too.

One thing I'll say about this presser is he looked genuinely pissed off, and I'd like to think he was in and equally foul mood with the players.

Owned up getting the midfield mix wrong as well, which was nice, but if the commentators and random bigfooty posters can see it surely someone in the box can too.
Yeah he looked uncharacteristically seething. I might have been reading into it but the way he answered the Butters question made me think there was some opposing views in the coaching box about what to do and he was kinda dirty that they didn't tactically do enough to quell Butters on the night. Maybe bit of Yze/Goody friction, dunno, as Yze is the midfield coach. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back