Is our no.4 'problem' solved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Issue came up a few months back, and the general consensus was that there's no point selecting Goodwin, given his age and nationality given there are younger Aussies with a very similar first class record.

geez not goodwin.

love, hussey snr, hussey jnr, lehmann, hodge, Watson, heck even give Blewett another shot.

we have australian batting talent dripping off like gold dust, our batsmen held up to the indians and every other attack.

its just with two duds in the bowling line up in Lee and Brocken we can't get anyone out, and you can throw McGilla into the scrap heap there too.

There aint nothing wrong with our batting.

we need a decent attack.

looking at the talent we have rofe going great guns, any of the vic bowlers, young tait shown some form but wtf is wrong with our batting?

hayden and langer both world class, but langer looks ordinary compared with the haydos (but who doesn't?)
punter and Gilchrist are also world class.
Martyn in a form slump averageing just 40 in his last 10/20 tests, way down on his career ave of 45...still going ok.
boof on 49, katich the new boy seems to be holding his own. love close to 50, add the reserve talent and what do we need a pensioner turncoat for?

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
If Boof doesn't return to the Australian side & bat at #4, the selectors have rocks ine their heads!

I'm a huge fan of Boof, but i'd also like to think that a player of his age, injury status and body type, would need to do a lot more than he's done before being taken on such a tour.

He isn't ready.

Originally posted by phatandphreaky
I'm a huge fan of Boof, but i'd also like to think that a player of his age, injury status and body type, would need to do a lot more than he's done before being taken on such a tour.

He isn't ready.

I hope you've got your heavy duty flame-proof suit on, phat, as I'm predicting that the rabid SA henchmen will be queing-up to give you a mauling quicker than you can grab a brewski during an ad break.

Originally posted by nicko18
I hope you've got your heavy duty flame-proof suit on, phat, as I'm predicting that the rabid SA henchmen will be queing-up to give you a mauling quicker than you can grab a brewski during an ad break.

Probably mate.

Even the South Aussies would have to acknowledge that i'm a massive rap for Boof, he simply hasn't done enough to prove that he'll get through a tough tour of Sri Lanka.

He isn't ready.
Phatty, fortunately the selectors think otherwise. Boof will go on tour (barring an injury) & will make you eat your words.

Phatty, fortunately the selectors think otherwise. Boof will go on tour (barring an injury) & will make you eat your words.

What words would they be?

I've not said he won't perform should he go, merely said that he needs to do more to justify selection.

No need to be so defensive about Boof, Kane, i love the bloke.

Originally posted by Adrian Shelton
Is Goodwin the answer here for any length of time?(seeing he's eligble for Aus in a few months)
It would be a poor reflection of Aust cricket if we played him.
He is in good form and good luck to him but there are plenty of players ahead of him.

What words would they be?

I've not said he won't perform should he go, merely said that he needs to do more to justify selection.

No need to be so defensive about Boof, Kane, i love the bloke.
Phatty, you said he isn't ready for a tough tour. I disagree & reckon Boof will prove you wrong. Boof has proved his fitness for the Pura Cup & doesn't need to do anything more to get a recall to the Australian team. He has proved himself more times than necessary over his career!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phatty, you said he isn't ready for a tough tour. I disagree & reckon Boof will prove you wrong. Boof has proved his fitness for the Pura Cup & doesn't need to do anything more to get a recall to the Australian team. He has proved himself more times than necessary over his career!
Trever Hohns said a few weeks ago the squad would be announced tomorrow, we may find out then?

Boof has proved his fitness for the Pura Cup

How so?

Getting through a single match proves nothing.

He'd played what, 10 days of cricket, and until this week, felt the need to bat himself at 6.

All this on top of his age and body shape, doesn't auger well.

I believe he would need to get through another 2 full four-day games before anyone could justify say he's proved his fitness.

On past form, he'd be a walk up start, that isn't the concern, his fitness is.

How so?

Getting through a single match proves nothing.

He'd played what, 10 days of cricket, and until this week, felt the need to bat himself at 6.

All this on top of his age and body shape, doesn't auger well.

I believe he would need to get through another 2 full four-day games before anyone could justify say he's proved his fitness.

On past form, he'd be a walk up start, that isn't the concern, his fitness is.
Boof has got through several games now & has also bowled a bit. Has done enough to show he has recovered. Still has a few more games to get under his belt too. He is a certainty to tour IMO.

how about north?
surely he is ahead of his team-mate in the line for an aussie berth?
his form of late has been superb...
worth a shot if the selectors are serious about the long term stuff

Originally posted by xfactor23
how about north?
surely he is ahead of his team-mate in the line for an aussie berth?
his form of late has been superb...
worth a shot if the selectors are serious about the long term stuff

He's got a long way to go before he gets a look in for the Test team.... wouldnt be too far from the selectors minds for the one day side though.

Provided Lehmann isn't injured, he will line up at number 4 for Australia in the first test v Sri Lanka. simple as that.

Originally posted by Russian
Trever Hohns said a few weeks ago the squad would be announced tomorrow, we may find out then?

i think that is for the one dayers in Sri Lanka.

personally, i 'd rather leave Boof here for the longer version stuff rather than play out some meaningless one dayers.

Goodwin could do well for Australia at number 4....however he would have to do a fair bit more than he has at the moment (not to say he isn't doing bloody well) for the selectors to consider him. He is over 30, and we need to look for long term prospects in the batting department....that would rule out anyone over 30. Tough call, but he shouldn't get the chance even if he continues to rip apart the state level bowling attacks.

Originally posted by ViperV10
we need to look for long term prospects in the batting department....that would rule out anyone over 30.

i would never subscribe to that theory, especially in a sport like cricket.

unlike a lot of sports, cricket is one where you can play at full level to your about 35.

Although not a proffesional (although a lot of people in Sydney grade circles would consider him to be the best player to have not had a distinguished NSW career in the past two decades - played half a dozen one dayers in the mid 90's), the captain of our cricket club is now 37 and is playing better cricket than he ever has. He would be a walk up start in the Blues team had he been batting this well at 27.

and Steve Waugh has been striking the ball better than he has for 3 seasons over the past 12 or so months.

And don' tbe suprised if Matty Hayden (generally regarded as the fittest guy in the Australian squad, behind Brett Lee) to be playing FC cricket, and possibly international cricket, till he's very close to 40 years old.

But yes, we do need to look to the future, but a 30 year old batsmen could easily be around in the team for the better part of 5 years, which is pretty long term.

I always subsrcibe to the theory, if your good enough your young enough. And likewise, if your good enough, your old enough.

You dont get rewarded for the future in cricket for finishing last, you also dont have limited development pools and list management.

You should pick your best team for now every time. Giving up a victory today, for a possible victory next year, is pointless.

The only competition where it is remotely useful is developing a team for the world cup every 4 years. Test cricket you should never put in people that aren't ready, and don't have the form on the board, in place of players who do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is our no.4 'problem' solved?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back