Is Punter or Gilly ready to captain our Test Team??

Remove this Banner Ad

classicyds

Debutant
Jul 18, 2002
Burpengary, 20 mins Nth of Brisbane
Other Teams
Kangaroos...who else??
It seems that the vultures are circling over Steve!!!

I LOVE him to bits and think that he does the toughest job in Australian sport admirably!!!

I'm not doubting the ability of Punter or Gilly, but are they ready to take on THE top job???

I'd be interested to hear what people think!!

My verdict would be let Steve go when he is ready....he seems to be pretty clear on the fact that he doesn't want to hang around and embarrass himself so he should be able to make a sensible decision.

I think that Punter is playing so well without the captaincy, why muck all that up now!!

At this present point in time, I think Ponting would be favoured to take over Waugh as captain.

Reading between the lines, Gilly has some reservations about being a full-time captain/keeper. Might be too much on his plate.

I think Ponting has handled the one-day captaincy responsibilities particularly well since he's taking over - the side have performed solidly and he's impressed in his public statements, someone who's prepared to speak his own mind and criticise his players when necessary (as he did with Brett Lee after his poor one-day bowling displays).

Also, Ponting has improved his on-field temperament since he's been given the extra responsibility, a good sign. He's been a bit of a hothead over the years and has threatened to get into some nasty confrontations on the field, but that seems to be behind him.

Originally posted by classicyds
It seems that the vultures are circling over Steve!!!

I LOVE him to bits and think that he does the toughest job in Australian sport admirably!!!

Given the gap in ability between the Australian team, and most of the other Test playing nations, I don't think his is the hardest job in Aussie sport. With McGrath and Warne as his prime bowlers, conjuring wickets doesn't necessarily need a great deal of captaincy.

My verdict would be let Steve go when he is ready....he seems to be pretty clear on the fact that he doesn't want to hang around and embarrass himself so he should be able to make a sensible decision.

When he sensed the end was near as a one-day cricketer, he started giving himself a bowl to prove he still had something to offer, and I think he's doing the same now... thinking that averaging 30 with the bat and grabbing a couple of wickets a Test might be as good as averaging 45-50.

Always struck me as a selfish player, and I don't think this will change as he will hang on to his ACB contract and Test career with all his might.

I think Warne will get a cameo as Captain for his 2 final years, which will then leave Ponting as the next. Hopefully Waugh pulls the pin soon.
I thought Gilchrist was one of the best batsman in the world 2 years ago. His keeping appears to have slipped over the last year or 2 (fumbles a fair bit, and a way behind Healy's best), as has his batting. So his position may come under review if he has a string of poor matches.

Re: Re: Is Punter or Gilly ready to captain our Test Team??

Originally posted by Darky

Always struck me as a selfish player, and I don't think this will change as he will hang on to his ACB contract and Test career with all his might.

You're calling the Red Ink man selfish? Surely you jest!

Originally posted by Knuckles

I thought Gilchrist was one of the best batsman in the world 2 years ago. His keeping appears to have slipped over the last year or 2 (fumbles a fair bit, and a way behind Healy's best), as has his batting. So his position may come under review if he has a string of poor matches.

I think you're being a bit harsh on Gilly's Test record. He still has an average of well over 55, which is more then outstanding. Admittedly, I think he's underachieved in the one-day arena over the last 12 months or so.

As for his keeping, it's generally been a bit below top-notch and he's liable to make the odd mistake from time to time, but it does the job.

All relative I suppose. But it has fallen away, while still better than most.
Anyone have Gilly's stumping stats V Healy's in any form? Though you would have to factor in Warne not spinning as per his days with Healy. Still, if nothing at State level, don't matter.

gilchrist is going to make another 30-40 more than some other keeper with the bat each innings, but if he starts missing a few chances, esp against warney, you have to question how many runs he would concede in the field compared to other keepers.

hopefully he was just having an off day, and a one off at that.

i've always thought gilchrist is good enuf to get into the team on his bat alone, a possiblility could be to relieve him of his duties with the gloves by bringing in another keeper, thus freeing him to bat up the order and possibly captain. the only dilema then would be where u put him in the field, but i think he would shine in the top order and be much more valuable for the team in such a position.

Warne is 33(?). There really isn't any reason why he can't keep playing until he is 38-40, because he doesn't have a run up, and is quite fit these days. I think he has more than 2 years left in him.

If Captain Red Ink puts Gilchrist up to #5 to expedite a declaration, why bat himself (Australia's slowest batsman) next, and hold off on sending Lehmann in ahead of him?

Guess he figured he'd still be there himself to collect a tidy unbeaten 30-odd when the 470 lead was attained :rolleyes:

Steve Waugh - a great captain and great Australian. I don't think it should be questioned whether he is selfish or not. He has the whole team's support along with the best captaincy record in test cricket, so it doesn't matter if he is selfish or not. He gets the job done.

Gilchrist - I think his keeping is good enough to keep him in the team as a keeper/batsman - easily. I don't believe a wicket keeper should ever be the Australian captain.

Warne - He seems to be enjoying his cricket again and I think he will go another 3-4 years at least. He also would be a great captain, but then again, so would Ponting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by nicko18
talking about selfish.... those guys who dont run on the last ball of a one dayer. if there is a slight chance to go for a run, i dont know why they dont chance it. one day averages dont mean jack

There might be a justification for it these days under the Duckworth/Lewis system as how many wickets you lose in an innings has a direct effect on any target you set or chase.

But if there's no chance of a match being weather-affected, yeah it is a selfish move and happens too often.

To much responsibility for the wickie IMO.

Maybe to even world cricket up they should find the stupidest player in the team and make him captain, one that would send the opposition in after winning the toss on a flat batting track.

Originally posted by wagstaff

There might be a justification for it these days under the Duckworth/Lewis system as how many wickets you lose in an innings has a direct effect on any target you set or chase.

But if there's no chance of a match being weather-affected, yeah it is a selfish move and happens too often.

Thats incorrect. It wouldn't matter if you made 0/250 in 50 overs or 10/250 in 50 overs in the opening innings under D/L if rain were to have an effect later on in the second innings.

The only possible difference it could've made is when tied matches were decided on a wickets countback. But that doesn't happen these days.

Back to the original topic, I think Warne would've been a fantastic captain for Australia. But he will miss out on the job sadly. Ponting, who I think is a better candidate than Gilchrist for reasons similar to those outlined before, is the man for the job in the selectors eyes, they signalled that when he was appointed one-day captain. If Warne or Gilly was a better candidate they would've been appointed.

Warnie

I actually think that two captains (one-day and test) are a good idea. It gives both of them a chance to have a breather and focus on the cricket for a bit.

To this end, I think Punter should get the Test captaincy (as a long -term investment), and Warnie should be made the one-day skipper. He's a bloody good captian, and would provide the neccesary flair and excitement that the team needs to perform in the one-day arena. It should be done asap, so that Warnie can lead us throuigh the World Cup.

Re: Warnie

Originally posted by bluechampion
I actually think that two captains (one-day and test) are a good idea. It gives both of them a chance to have a breather and focus on the cricket for a bit.

To this end, I think Punter should get the Test captaincy (as a long -term investment), and Warnie should be made the one-day skipper. He's a bloody good captian, and would provide the neccesary flair and excitement that the team needs to perform in the one-day arena. It should be done asap, so that Warnie can lead us throuigh the World Cup.
That idea has some real merit.

Good call on the two captains idea!!

It stands to reason that some captains, just as some players, might do better in a one-day format. And it would definitely reduce the stress and workload.

Regardless what anyone says the Tast Captaincy is the hardest sporting job in Australia because you are required to do more than just be a good captain! You have to do all the media crap and worst still you have to actually spend "Quality" time with the ACB......good Lord, who would actually want to do that part of the job??? Then the players are all wary of you because you're in the "IN" crowd and not one of them and then if the side plays well people say it's a dream job...and if they fail...it's your fault!!

I"d sooner just bat my little heart out (if I could bat) and stay out of all the sh1t that goes with the captaincy...that's why I think Punter is doing so well in the test format...he can relax and play!!

I'm not sold on Shane Warne as captain, but that's more a personal thought than a logical one.

Maybe this already has been said.But l would loveto see Shane Warne given the captancy for atleast one year........then hand it on to Ricky Ponting....or someone under 25 ........but thats the problem with the aussie t4eam at the moment.....everyone is over 30 exept RickyPonting.....and Damian martin....but he 29......thats just my thorts .......

Warne should be the next test captain IMO and with his new fitness regime and the fact that he bowls spin, he might play test cricket until he is 40, which could mean he is a long-term solution as captain.

Darky, I am ignoring your silly comments about Steve Waugh. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Punter or Gilly ready to captain our Test Team??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back