Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Poppy is not under rated at all this thread has shown that . he is highly rated at hawthorn because he plays his role . he can tackle,take marks, kick goals,apply pressure offensively and defensively and has unreal acceleration .selfless player team first attitude what more do you want? Capable of playing other roles would walk into any side coaches love him only drama his short

Poppy is not under rated at all this thread has shown that . he is highly rated at hawthorn because he plays his role . he can tackle,take marks, kick goals,apply pressure offensively and defensively and has unreal acceleration .selfless player team first attitude what more do you want? Capable of playing other roles would walk into any side coaches love him only drama his short
This thread has also shown how Hawthorn-centric some Hawthorn supporters are in thinking that other sides don't have role players that they'd rate higher than Puopolo.

Developing sides don't need overrated role players. Lonie and Billings play ahead of him at StKilda.

I'll ignore the obvious trolling calling him an "overrated role player"

Think you've missed the point with Lonie and Billings. We are talking about the players as they rate now, not what they might become. Lonie and Billings might be better than Poppy in 2020, but they aren't anywhere near his level yet.

Like you? Saying that he'd walk into any other side just because "coaches love him". He's not the only player that can do the things he does.
Also I didn't say he could walk into any side because " coaches love him" it was all the attributes listed aka what more do you want. Melbourne could use him for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you don't understand it I really can't help you. I apologise on both of our behalves.

Season 2015 AFL entire league stats. As is compared with every other player in every other team.

7th overall for goal assists
31st for total tackles
42nd for total goals

Let's not forget his 1 percenters.

Yep, straight up walk into every team in the Comp.

Well this thread was started by a hawks supporter looking for views on poppy. No need to sook when you find out most think he's pretty average.
Sook?

BTW you can quote me saying I think he is average in this thread.
Well done loseing credibility.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Puopolo would be competing with Jeff Garlett and Dean Kent at Melbourne. Whether or not he'd be ahead of or behind them is something we'll never know, but the coaches would be pretty happy with Kent's efforts. Brings a lot of forward pressure, has good pace, and was severely missed this season after he went down in round 4.

Season 2015 AFL entire league stats. As is compared with every other player in every other team.

7th overall for goal assists
31st for total tackles
42nd for total goals

Let's not forget his 1 percenters.

Yep, straight up walk into every team in the Comp.
The point is that if he was playing for Carlton he wouldn't be reaching those numbers.

I'm not sure what OP was expecting from this thread really.
Theres a minority that say he is "VFL player" or "worst player in the AFL" although he is obviously better then that I wouldn't start a thread about it. ill admit he Is closer to those statements then an elite footballer.
Im only hear to call out peoples hypocrisy coz its funny watching them squirm.

Hey gosaints

The thing is, Hawks supporters are more critical of our players and endlessly question Clarko.

Its a strange thing.

I often wonder why Clarko does what he does. Suckling had a bad first half of the year but kept his spot. Hill got lazier and lazier as the season went on. Schoenmaker was in and out more than John Holmes.

Yet in the GF we had our best team and won easily.

And Poppy was an important part of that team. And as for skills, that lob kick to Gunston in the middle of 2 Coaster defenders was as elite a kick as we saw in the whole game.

So my money is on him being too old and too slow....

That was the best kick I have seen in many years. Come to think of it, I can't remember a more precise kick.
Was of the caliber of an NFL QB pinpointing a long pass into double coverage
Exceptional

These Hawks supporters make me lol.

You'll turn on Poppy the minute you slide.

Looks good in a premiership side but will just ends up under performing and blocking development of young players in a struggling side. Its called the Jarryd Blair effect.

These Hawks supporters make me lol.

You'll turn on Poppy the minute you slide.

Looks good in a premiership side but will just ends up under performing and blocking development of young players in a struggling side. Its called the Jarryd Blair effect.
He is a slightly better player then Blair but I get your point.

He is a slightly better player then Blair but I get your point.

I am a fan of both Poppy and Blair. Both are small tough role players who sacrifice for their team and do the defensive small forward role with great discipline. They both live in the 16-22 zone in the team. They are very similar players and their role is much easier when the team is successful.

Poppy has benefited greatly by being right place right time and being surrounded by one of the great teams of all time. I am a believer it is mainly the cream of a team that makes the difference. Hawks are great because their top players are so good and stand them apart from the rest of the comp. Poppy is important because he has filled a role but will be remembered much better because of the team he played in.

He would get a game in every other team but it would be a tougher gig because he would be required to do more and any shortcomings wouldn't be glossed over by team success. It's just the nature of the way these things pan out. Poppy is a fortunate player, fate has smiled on him.

I am a fan of both Poppy and Blair. Both are small tough role players who sacrifice for their team and do the defensive small forward role with great discipline. They both live in the 16-22 zone in the team. They are very similar players and their role is much easier when the team is successful.

Poppy has benefited greatly by being right place right time and being surrounded by one of the great teams of all time. I am a believer it is mainly the cream of a team that makes the difference. Hawks are great because their top players are so good and stand them apart from the rest of the comp. Poppy is important because he has filled a role but will be remembered much better because of the team he played in.

He would get a game in every other team but it would be a tougher gig because he would be required to do more and any shortcomings wouldn't be glossed over by team success. It's just the nature of the way these things pan out. Poppy is a fortunate player, fate has smiled on him.
Nice post, there both just role players. Poppy played some great footy this year but im under no disillusion that he took hangers because the opoasition where to worried about blocking cyrils run and let him have clean run and jumps. Was involved in some of the best line breaking plays for the hawks this season because the opposition needed 2, 3 and 4 players to corral rioli and stop his. He has benefited greatly be playing at hawthon but you need the ability to finish of those plays to. sometimes that gets missed.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back