Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well clearly you don't know much. Poppy as per AFL player ratings would be the 4th best player at the Saints. Shiels is ranked higher than all but 1 Saints player on AFL player rating.
AFL rankings are totally reliable as I think we all agree that Brent harvey is the 10th best player in the league and that alex rance is only the 30th best player in the league, the rankings say it so it must be true right?

Poppy is average player in a good team, he is not rated period because he is role player and they tend to get forgotten in the passages of time.

Im not sure about this. He ducks and raises the arm like Selwood, Schuey, etc but doesnt throw his head around as if he has been shot. He plays on.

So if he gets a free he takes it but he doesnt stop and wait.

Perfect examples from the GF:

Lewis tackles Schuey on the shoulder acted like he had been clotheslined.
Poppy taken a bit high but plays on and gets the ball to Hodge who kicks that awesome goal from 30m out on the boundary.

That said its the one part of his game I hope he changes. I just dont like ducking at all.
Give me a break. He goes down like an assassinated Kennedy

Hawks supporters seem to think he fills a hole in their side. Most others think he's pretty average. There are quite a few sides he couldn't get a game in.
AFL rankings are totally reliable as I think we all agree that Brent harvey is the 10th best player in the league and that alex rance is only the 30th best player in the league, the rankings say it so it must be true right?

Poppy is average player in a good team, he is not rated period because he is role player and they tend to get forgotten in the passages of time.

I'm sure there is plenty of ways to rate players, this is just 1 of them and it seems thorough, and counts the past 40 games. Sure there are some instances that don't make complete sense. I personally think Sam Mitchell is the best Hawks player, not 4th best. Either way if a player is in the top 100 it's fair to say they're a good player. Saints would take poppy in a heartbeat.

What is the Official AFL Player Ratings system?
Determining the AFL's best player has always been tricky. Whether it be umpires, coaches, media or fans, judgements about top players have always contained a large slice of opinion.

Now, using the most sophisticated algorithm ever applied to our game, we are assessing every single action of every player, determining the impact of that action, and providing points – either positive or negative – toward that player's rating compared to his peers.

Along with the obvious acts such as goals, marks and disposals, we've included intercepts, spoils, kicking to a contest, smothers, chasing, corralling and many other 'one-percenters' - along with where and when they occurred - to paint a complete picture of ever player's impact on a game.

And the Official AFL Player Ratings are based on a player's past 40 games, which delivers a long-term view of a player's standing within the AFL.

'm sure there is plenty of ways to rate players, this is just 1 of them and it seems thorough, and counts the past 40 games. Sure there are some instances that don't make complete sense. I personally think Sam Mitchell is the best Hawks player, not 4th best. Either way if a player is in the top 100 it's fair to say they're a good player. Saints would take poppy in a heartbeat.
I think Mitchell is the best hawks player too and st kilda would not take poppy, we have Lonie who is far younger and suits our age list far better and can develop a partnership with our key forwards and Sinclair who adds class and in the past we had Schneider and Milne who were far better players. No rebuilding team would honestly take a 27 going on to 28 year old small forward, Defender and midfielder maybe as they have more worth to a lower placed side.

And the afl rankings is a load of crap a dual All Australian in Rance is only the 30th best player over the last 40 games.

I think Mitchell is the best hawks player too and st kilda would not take poppy, we have Lonie who is far younger and suits our age list far better and can develop a partnership with our key forwards and Sinclair who adds class and in the past we had Schneider and Milne who were far better players. No rebuilding team would honestly take a 27 going on to 28 year old small forward, Defender and midfielder maybe as they have more worth to a lower placed side.

And the afl rankings is a load of crap a dual All Australian in Rance is only the 30th best player over the last 40 games.

I can see your point about the age factor, if he was younger certainly he would get a spot in most teams. The thing with up and coming/rebuilding teams like the Saints for all we know they could click next year and make the 8. If they progressed as a list sooner rather than later I do think the Saints would have him.

Gotta love fact-free trolls. Poppy as big a ducker and free-kick merchant as Duckwood? Yeah right...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2015&rt=LA&st=FF

Equal 66th on the frees-for ladder for the year. Yeah, he's a real umpy's Mummy's boy.

Gee, look who finished on top....yet again.

This is pretty silly - Puopolo is clearly a HUGE ducker and plays for free kicks. In your comparison, one is a midfielder, the other is a defensive forward pocket.

Puopolo plays for free kicks at a higher percentage of possession than any other player in the league. The fact he doesn't get rewarded every time is a blessing.

This is pretty silly - Puopolo is clearly a HUGE ducker and plays for free kicks. In your comparison, one is a midfielder, the other is a defensive forward pocket.

Puopolo plays for free kicks at a higher percentage of possession than any other player in the league. The fact he doesn't get rewarded every time is a blessing.

It's humorous (the hypocrisy mainly) that puopolo who doesn't even try to hide his blatant attempts at fooling the ump into milking free kicks by unashamedly ducking his head on numerous occasions during a game is lauded by hfc fans whilst someone who merely shrugs off tackles (Joel Selwood) is routinely bagged by the same bunch so much so that there were threads not that long ago with tens (if not hundreds) of pages about Selwood's supposed cheating.

I think that list perfectly illustrates Puopolo's true value. He could comfortably play alongside every single one of those players. He's the counter-balance to the front-running pockets - of the above named players, the first six usually forget their opponent exists, whilst only Dalhaus and Cyril are really known for their defensive efforts (even if statistics say otherwise)

Dahlhaus is pure mid these days, people still call him a small forward because that's how he started.

Selwood is the biggest ducker by far he is so good at it the rest of the comp started to follow suit umpires need to fix the problem when a player ducks or drops play on simple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important role player for the competitions most talented team. Fantastic at applying pressure on opposition defences, someting he could easily do just as effectively at the competitions least talented team. Highly rated by his own, fabulously successful, club which is all that matters. Being underrated by BF posters is fairly meaningless as the majority either know stuff all about the technicalities of AFL football or/and are too blinded by club allegiances to make impartial judgements. He, along with a few other smart ,smallish players like Selwood and Shuey have perfected the art of drawing high tackles from opponents with deft body movement, timed to perfection. This is not cheating, it is using the rules of the game to your advantage. Cheating is throwing yourself to the ground as if you have been infringed when you have not, like we see every time we switch on a game in the EPL.

Maybe Afl rankings ARE onto something most miss!!!? Hmmm.

Hmmmm - nup. Average to poor player. Once you start to slide he will probably disappear too. Won't be carried in a weak team.

Last edited:

Steve the seagull Milne now there is an over rated player and Schneider way too slow poppy smashes both of them easy

this thread is funny

first page: For a midget no one rated making his debut at 23 he's had a pretty remarkable career. 100 games now, 16 finals and 3 flags in 5 seasons. He's more successful than probably 99% of players in history. 2015 was probably his best season by numbers and in 23 games he had 306 disposals, laid 114 tackles and kicked 29 goals. Also had 24 goal assists.

last page: Average to poor player. Once you start to slide he will probably disappear too. Won't be carries in a weak team.

Paul Puopolo: Won't be carries in a weak team.

Steve the seagull Milne now there is an over rated player and Schneider way too slow poppy smashes both of them easy
No he does not, Milne is one of the best small forwards in the last 20 years and Schneider was a high skiled small forward who can go into the midfield.

I don't think he's make our seniors.
Huh?

EDIT: I agree he isnt a player stkilda need to actively aim to recruit but there a number of players although younger arnt quite up to puopolos level as of yet, although I accept that may change during the 2016 season. haveing him in your best 22 would strengthen it but would it potentially restrict lonie, savage, billings development well maybe.

if he was on your list yes he would play around 18 to 23 games. End of story dont delude yourself.

Last edited:
[QUOTEnow "Cooksen, post: 41913162, member: 121351"]No he does not, Milne is one of the best small forwards in the last 20 years and Schneider was a high skiled small forward who can go into the midfield.[/QUOTE]
Milne was the best seagull in last twenty years excellent receiver couldn't tackle or win his own ball Schneider excellent skills tough as they come poppy too quick and tough for both

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back