Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

If he's good enough for mr Clarkson, he's good enough.

279.gif

Lol at the comments 'he wouldn't get a game in a lesser team. News flash: it's easier to get a game in a lesser team. But let's not heed conventional wisdom.

Not necessarily. Particularly for a small forward. If your team is winning and your forward pocket is hitting his running and pressure KPIs, it's all gravy, even if he's not kicking bags every week. But if you're getting flogged on a weekly basis, your forward pocket probably gets dropped after two goalless games, even if he's been starved of opportunities.

Players in his position or similar that I rate higher than him;

Betts, Elliott, Ballantyne, Walters, Motlop, Breust, Cyril, Wingard, Cripps, Dahlhaus.

But the above is a pretty damn good group. Puopolo's pressure and tackling would be as good as most as wel and that's what he is asked to do.

No skill?? Hardly missed a kick in the finals, keeps hunting and the best thing about him is how he sprouts out of congestion on the wing and takes off a million miles!! Also, he is a smidgen away from taking the biggest speccy one day..he or Cyril.

Players in his position or similar that I rate higher than him;

Betts, Elliott, Ballantyne, Walters, Motlop, Breust, Cyril, Wingard, Cripps, Dahlhaus.

But the above is a pretty damn good group. Puopolo's pressure and tackling would be as good as most as wel and that's what he is asked to do.

I think that list perfectly illustrates Puopolo's true value. He could comfortably play alongside every single one of those players. He's the counter-balance to the front-running pockets - of the above named players, the first six usually forget their opponent exists, whilst only Dalhaus and Cyril are really known for their defensive efforts (even if statistics say otherwise)

In Hawthorn's system, Puopolo is often played as a pseduo KPF, standing opposition key defenders as a marking target (well, spoiling target, despite his leaps he rarely holds on to the high mark). He's as likely to be FF one contest, in the centre square the next, and then tagging the opposition HBF the third.

Hawthorn have the best 'small talls' in Roughead and Gunston, and two of the best leaping smalls in Cyril and Puopolo. It's this uniqueness and fluidity that makes their forwardline so difficult to contain.

Underrated? If I had to pick over or under, I'd be leaning more towards overrated. Extremely lucky, contributes exactly what he needs to, gets more recognition than he probably deserves for being a genuine role player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underrated? If I had to pick over or under, I'd be leaning more towards overrated. Extremely lucky, contributes exactly what he needs to, gets more recognition than he probably deserves for being a genuine role player.
Its strange ive heard Poppy, Suckling, Gibson, Smith, Hill, Hodge, Birchall, Bruest, Roughead, Lewis, Frawley, Gunston, McEvoy and Rioli get called overrated on bigfooty over the last 12 months.

I dont go around calling players overrated very offten so am I missing out on some sweet LOL's or are people actually this perplexed when it comes to hawthorn and why there so successful?

I liken him to Steve Morris
If thats the case Richmond sould never of dropped morris because he would be more then good enough to be carry though finals to a grand final or 3.

Statistically equivalent to Blair but older (although Puopolo is definitely a marginally better player as he's more creative with ball in hand). I think when you start hear the line 'he can be a Puopolo type player' trotted out by the media it's pretty obvious he's overrated if anything.

Its strange ive heard Poppy, Suckling, Gibson, Smith, Hill, Hodge, Birchall, Bruest, Roughead, Lewis, Frawley, Gunston, McEvoy and Rioli get called overrated on bigfooty over the last 12 months.

I dont go around calling players overrated very offten so am I missing out on some sweet LOL's or are people actually this perplexed when it comes to hawthorn and why there so successful?
I don't think having an abundance of players being called "overrated" is exclusive to Hawthorn, so don't flatter yourself, but as much as it pains me to say, Hawthorn are a well drilled outfit who know what they need to do and all their players play roles really well. It's hard to gauge, but I'd be seriously interested to see how an Isaac Smith or a Luke Breust type would go at another club.

I don't think having an abundance of players being called "overrated" is exclusive to Hawthorn, so don't flatter yourself, but as much as it pains me to say, Hawthorn are a well drilled outfit who know what they need to do and all their players play roles really well. It's hard to gauge, but I'd be seriously interested to see how an Isaac Smith or a Luke Breust type would go at another club.
Huh? You miss understood im not flattering my self and im well aware that it isnt exclusivly a hawthorn thing.

So first off relax a positive opinon of an opposition team shouldn't be a painful thing to say and second if everyone is overrated no one is.

Get it?

Edit: also issac would go fine man, he is all quality. If you have seen me post you will see me argue over the contradiction and hypocrisy of some posters but very rarely pumping up the player they may have questionmarks over.

Smith is seriously under appreciate by the hawthorn community and slightly by the broader community.

Last edited:

Bruest is a good player but I think his output would decrease at another club. Smith is an absolute jet, would be elite at just about any club I would think.

I wouldnt say he is underrated. I wouldnt think he is too overrated as well, everyone knows he plays his role and that is hard chasing and tackling, pressure acts and the day to day ho hum of being a triple premiership player. As for the above poster that listed the best offensive small forwards in the comp and said that Pop plays a similar role you are half correct. Pop is the number 1 defensive small forward a role that Clarkson...(takes a moment to thank god)...has been crafting for many years and finally found the perfect specimen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back