Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Every great team needs these type of players
I wouldn't say he is underrated ,but with gunston roughy and Cyril around him it would be difficult to stand out
Great defensive pressure..kicks goals.seems quick of mind when the ball is in dispute.
Would get a regular game in my team .

Love it when a hawks supporter asks is our player underrated? a few say the player is in fact overrated and the hawks supporters get indignant. Perhaps only ask questions you already know the answers to.
Ohhhh boo hoo some posters talk out of there arse on bigfooty. Who knew.

Sensible discuss is a rare commodity.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Gee, i reckon he's just super amazing.
I wish i wasnt so jealous or butsore from a loss, or pissed we havent won as many flags, becoz then i'd rate him even higher.

As a small fwd he's a bit like those Daicos and Milne type blokes, except rooly rooooooly good.

Would get a game at any other club looking for a tenacious defensive forward who can occasionally sneak a goal.

Might only be half as many clubs if they're looking for a typical goal scoring small forward.

His output isn't dependent on those around him. He will run the length of the ground to chase a player and never gives up in a contest. Those things translate because they don't rely on classy teammates.

He's rarely talked about so don't see how he could be overrated. He's rated by those who understand his role and aren't sucked into rating players based on stats. Underrated by the rest.

Rated about right IMO.

Good honest player who gives his all and performs his role. Hardly a superstar although more than capable and provides some decent highlights on top of all the tenacious defensive stuff he does.

Poppy is a pretty decent small forward. I would have had him on our list over Jared Petrenko any day but now we have Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron, I'm not sure he'd get a look in.

Poppy is a pretty decent small forward. I would have had him on our list over Jared Petrenko any day but now we have Eddie Betts and Charlie Cameron, I'm not sure he'd get a look in.

All depends on the complete make up of your forward line I guess. We have Rioli and Breust but still find a place for him.

Puopolo is definitely not underrated. If anything he is overrated by virtue of being a role player in an outstanding side.

Reality is he's nothing more than a good ordinary player who is given a role and plays that role well.

Put him in a side at the other end of the ladder and he would not be anywhere near as effective because he wouldn't have that support around him that he does have at Hawthorn.

However that is a credit to him as he is a valuable contributor with his forward pressure in particular. Not every player can be a superstar, even in the best sides, and how far those sides go is often dependent upon how well those role players can execute. That he has been able to contribute to three premierships now probably speaks to him playing that role very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK surely were done here.
Many average footballers look better in good sides....not long ago it was called being a "Pikey", but more recently known as the "Andrew Mackie Effect".
Some guys just get lucky.

Probably overrated if anything. If he played for Freo he'd just be another defensive player who can't score ala DeBoer, Mayne etc but playing for Hawthorn and being gifted opportunities by their stellar midfield means everyone talks him up. The moment the Hawks start slipping we will see guys like Poppy, Hill, Breust, Smith etc get exposed a little I reckon.

Interesting the posters claiming that he's made to look better than he is because he is in a champion team surrounded by great players to support him. I would have said he IS the support. He's a defensive forward in a forward line that has Rioli, Breust, Gunston and Roughead in it. He provides support in the form of pressure acts and tackles that helps to make everyone else look better.

If you told me that someone like Suckling would be an unaffordable luxury in a lesser team then I'd say you might have a point. Players like that don't get you on top, they help you bury opposition once you're already on top. Useful in a team that often wins games on the back of relatively brief periods of dominance, but not so useful to a struggling team trying to move up the ladder. Puopolo, I would have said, is the opposite. When you are struggling to keep the ball in your forward line, he pops up and forces a turnover, lays that tackle, or draws that high contact when surrounded by opposition who are about to get out and start a counter-attack.

No doubt he is a role-player, but he is the kind of role-player that every team could use one or two of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back