Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmm not really, Paul Pullonpolo is given a lot of recognition and acknowledgement for what he does. He adds a lot of grunt and defensiveness to their forward line, most sides know this, the media knows this, Paul Pooonpillow is good at what he does and that's that.

Lol at the comments 'he wouldn't get a game in a lesser team. News flash: it's easier to get a game in a lesser team. But let's not heed conventional wisdom.

Not necessarily, Savage got dropped after moving from Hawthorn to StKilda is a perfect example.

In answer to the question, judging by some of the responses on here I'd say he's a bit underrated. You don't spud your way to three premierships.

Lol at the comments 'he wouldn't get a game in a lesser team. News flash: it's easier to get a game in a lesser team. But let's not heed conventional wisdom.
While I agree with the sentiments, there is the issue that some teams will already have better small forwards. He plays a specific role that may already be accounted for in some teams.

Not necessarily, Savage got dropped after moving from Hawthorn to StKilda is a perfect example.

In answer to the question, judging by some of the responses on here I'd say he's a bit underrated. You don't spud your way to three premierships.
And Savage left for more opportunities.

How about that kick to Gunstall in the GF after Cyril's intercept!!! .. That was a precision kick of the highest quality

Along with his pass to Cyril in the pocket (Schoenmakers goal) ... That was absolute precision again!!

Good player, but not elite .. Would easily make the starting 22 for any side in the comp

Worth posting, just because this is the sort of thing he does every week, second and third efforts.

My God that was glorious!

Savage got dropped at Hawthorn too. Why do you think Jed Anderson wanted to leave? So he'd get more opportunities.

Savage got dropped at Hawthorn too. Why do you think Jed Anderson wanted to leave? So he'd get more opportunities.

The point I'm trying to make (albeit badly) is that I think being an ok player in a great team won't automatically make you a great player or a terrible player in an average team. There's been plenty of examples of both sides of the argument.

Was surprised to see the word underated, if anything he is a tad overated. That may be due to Bruce and Bruce alone though. He does his job to a tee, pretty much week in week out. I hate him but have been forced to respect him by his on field actions!
Send him down to the cattery anytime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think many who are saying he's overrated are mistaking him for simply being rated. He works really hard and does his job more often than not. The commentators may applaud a champion effort or the occasional brilliant play from him (which they would from any player) but none of them are elevating him to champion status or suggesting he's better than just a really good role player in a great team.

I think Bruce actually hits the nail on the head wth 'he is combative isn't he?'. But he isn't elite but perfectly complements Breus, Cyril, gunston and Rough. 29 goals and 24 assists are very good numbers.

Statistically equivalent to Blair but older (although Puopolo is definitely a marginally better player as he's more creative with ball in hand). I think when you start hear the line 'he can be a Puopolo type player' trotted out by the media it's pretty obvious he's overrated if anything.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

It simply means "this guy could put in 100% and get the best out of himself".

Average footballer who plays for free kicks way too much.

Im not sure about this. He ducks and raises the arm like Selwood, Schuey, etc but doesnt throw his head around as if he has been shot. He plays on.

So if he gets a free he takes it but he doesnt stop and wait.

Perfect examples from the GF:

Lewis tackles Schuey on the shoulder acted like he had been clotheslined.
Poppy taken a bit high but plays on and gets the ball to Hodge who kicks that awesome goal from 30m out on the boundary.

That said its the one part of his game I hope he changes. I just dont like ducking at all.

No he's not underrated.

Most underrated player for Hawthorn is Ben Stratton by a long way.

3 time Premiership player who does an outstanding job on the best small forwards who's consistent and doesn't even get the recognition he deserves. He blanketed Eddie Betts twice and Mark LeCras twice this season and opposition supporters still don't know who he is. :$

No he's not underrated.

Most underrated player for Hawthorn is Ben Stratton by a long way.

3 time Premiership player who does an outstanding job on the best small forwards who's consistent and doesn't even get the recognition he deserves. He blanketed Eddie Betts twice and Mark LeCras twice this season and opposition supporters still don't know who he is. :$
Who?

Average footballer who plays for free kicks way too much.

Considering the team you support you would be an expert on average footballers by now, so I wont argue with you.

After typing that I already feel I've overrated the Bombers list, FML.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

It simply means "this guy could put in 100% and get the best out of himself".

If they used it that way I'd absolutely agree, and it's something I admire from Puopolo. However certain people in the media have started to trot it out as if its a benchmark for small forwards... Which it really shouldn't be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back